↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Auto to Manual
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Van Diesel

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Auto Pennine Grey
Auto to Manual
Got a V8 + auto gearbox in a 90 from a Disco 1, converted a few years ago.

Seen several other threads on the net of people wanting to convert auto to manual and it's usually advised against, but as this was originally a manual (with 200TDi) and still has the gaiter from the stick shift on the top of the tunnel, would a conversion to an R380 be a bad idea?

Auto just seems a bit soul less with the V8 and think it would suit a manual better. Not likely to do any serious off road anymore.

+ & - comments welcome.
Post #951391 2nd May 2022 8:25pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
Easy conversion providing you can find a V8 R380 these days? You will obviously need a LR V8 flywheel and clutch, LH gearbox mounting bracket, clutch master and pedal box and pipe work , clutch slave cyl,pushrod and fork. Would recommend a 1.4 standard Tdi/TD5 transfer box unless you want dull performance. Would be worth utillising the auto cooler on the R380 also. Same props fit fine
Post #951426 3rd May 2022 9:35am
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
I'd do it. The V8 is so flexible and the clutch light - its a joy to waft along and play tunes with the engine note!

Having had a manual RRC, V8 90 CSW on carbs, 2x 50th Anniversaries, and a D1 V8 manual 3.9 I decided my ideal was a 3.9 serpentine with R380. So I sourced a complete D1 V8 manual and used the engine, gearbox, exhaust and front prop etc when going from 200tdi to V8. Because all the parts transfer from D1 to Defender it makes the conversion simples.

These days scrappers are suddenly looking thin on the ground. So I think the challenge is finding the bits, but it's still worth doing. I'd go down the slow-burn and find the bits you need as and when to make the conversion sensible money. If you're in a hurry it could get pricey.

I agree re the 1.4 ratio, and echo all the sound advice from Linds Hanson.

Bellhousing - there's a few pop up on eBay, you can also use a D2 V8 manual bellhousing and modify it to fit the inspection plate.

Maybe it might be more economic to do a trade in your auto & 1.2 for a R380 long input shaft and 1.4 t box and bellhousing complete? JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content

Last edited by Lodelaner on 3rd May 2022 1:28pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #951429 3rd May 2022 10:53am
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
Dont forget Discovery uses short stick box, D2 V8 has a taller 5th gear which is benificial with 1.4 transfer gearing
Post #951437 3rd May 2022 12:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1