↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > 130 Camper Conversion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Aha, that unladen weight will do it and it is Class 7 if a light goods vehicle then. Due to the ULW it isn't a Dual Purpose Vehicle and you don't get the benefits that being classified as a DPV brings, such as car speed limits, Class IV MoT, and so on.

Usually the plate gives Kerb Weight which is always more than ULW since it includes fuel, driver, spare wheel, etc, but you'd have to lose 305 kg to scrape under the limit and that is unfeasible.

Last edited by blackwolf on 14th Apr 2022 3:39pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #949363 14th Apr 2022 3:35pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the confirmation, that was where I thought it stood which was why I was annoyed at the first garage when I specifically asked them if they could do it. Not that it matters really, I find the commercial speed limits feel about right in him!
Post #949364 14th Apr 2022 3:38pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
Well following the MoT we celebrated by getting the bed finished, thanks to Wyvern's posts we decided that a proper slatted bed was the answer and he's certainly right, worlds away from a solid sheet of ply.

Click image to enlarge

The frame is rivetted aluminium box section and remarkably strong, I need to sort out some gas struts to make it fold automatically but a couple of batten props sees it stowed in the roof.

Click image to enlarge

We then celebrated by having our first night of trial camping with the new roof and the bed, I'm lucky to have an aunt who used to keep horses so we had the use of her field up on the moors.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Dog certainly enjoyed it

Click image to enlarge

As did we, clear night with the BBQ loaded with birch logs and then a lovely morning to wake up to (the geese in the valley were loud!)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

After that we cracked on with the ply lining and getting the auxillary battery installed.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hopefully this weekend will see the flooring down which will set us up for installing the framing for the water tank, worktops and storage.
Post #949955 20th Apr 2022 10:46pm
lolo

Switzerland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
I enjoy following your project. Nice pic of your camp at night, this I guess was a very rewarding and enjoyable moment Thumbs Up
Post #949961 20th Apr 2022 11:26pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
Thanks Lolo, it was a really satisfying event, the first time after a lot of long days that things felt like they're coming together. Long way to go yet but it feels like we're on the home straight.
Post #949963 20th Apr 2022 11:30pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Glad I was able to inspire you in the bed build! - looking fab so far !

Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #949972 21st Apr 2022 8:21am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Great to get your first night camping done! Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #949981 21st Apr 2022 10:45am
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
wyvern wrote:
Glad I was able to inspire you in the bed build! - looking fab so far !

Thumbs Up

Thanks, it's starting to take shape now. I don't know why slatted beds aren't more common, I was a bit worried about the strength when climbing up but it's fine and really comfortable.
Post #949990 21st Apr 2022 12:07pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I totally agree - the weight advantage alone is of great benefit, as to the comfort and air circulation ..
however each has their own merits I suppose!

You will never finish the ’tweaks’ as its a life long project but - its getting close to the time to get out and go camping !
Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #949995 21st Apr 2022 2:11pm
katana069

United Kingdom 
excellent work, very inspiring!!
Post #950000 21st Apr 2022 3:14pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
Thank you!
Post #950045 21st Apr 2022 9:56pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
wyvern wrote:
I totally agree - the weight advantage alone is of great benefit, as to the comfort and air circulation ..
however each has their own merits I suppose!

You will never finish the ’tweaks’ as its a life long project but - its getting close to the time to get out and go camping !
Thumbs Up

Weight wise the memory foam mattress is heavier than the frame and slats. I need to sort out some gas struts in due course to make it fold up into the roof correctly but the props will do for the moment.
Post #950052 21st Apr 2022 10:42pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
Busy weekend and a fair bit of progress to report. Started off by laying the vinyl so we now have a presentable and waterproof floor. This is laid over 1/8" ply on top of 10mm of XPS insulation.

On Saturday Sarah set to removing the other window and then bonding and rivetting in a cover from the rest of the aluminium left from cutting the hole in the roof.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Anybody with concerns about modern sealant adhesives should have a go at removing things bonded with them, the only way of getting the glass out was cutting the adhesive with a multitool, which takes an age.

Meanwhile I made a start on installing the water tank under what will be the indoor seating. The tank is an 80l one which should give us a reasonable bit of endurance.

Click image to enlarge

This sits tight against the wall and I then made a timber frame that clamps tight around it. On the other side the porta potti fits in nicely

Click image to enlarge

Complete with a useful sized gap for storing loo roll and the fluid for the toilet. The whole lot will be boxed in with a lifting seat section and door to the front allowing the toilet to be slid out.

After that I spent part of today sorting out the auxillary battery with the T-max split charge system so we now have a second battery wired in. Each battery has a 150A mega fuse close to the battery in case of disaster striking.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

We're booked in for the Adventure Overland Show in June so there's going to be a few very busy weekends ahead to make sure we're something like ready.
Post #950371 24th Apr 2022 8:03pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
Well a bit more progress over the last weekend with the plumbing in and the lights over the worktop up and running

Click image to enlarge

I was a bit worried that the lights would be too dim at 0.4w but 4 of them work really well.

We also got the stove worktop built and blocks in to try out the position

Click image to enlarge

It's really starting to feel like it's coming together now. I spent this evening bonding the Formica to the worktop and splash back. We also have the anodised aluminium on order for around the stove so this weekend should see it nearing completion on one side.
Post #951619 4th May 2022 11:06pm
L110CDL

England 
Great work your both doing there and it's looking good Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #951828 6th May 2022 9:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>