↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Europe > Cyprus pictures and things to see
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Cyprus pictures and things to see
I thought that now I am starting to travel around the island I would start posting pictures and where they are so that if members are coming here on holiday/ work or even locals can see what there is to see and do. Maybe threads like this will catch on and people will do it for their countries/ areas.

Some pictures I have already put in the 'What did you do in your Defender today' but this will be a central place for them all.

So here goes:

Akrotiri Shipwreck

I drove North through Akrotiri Village and then before the antenna site I turned off and headed due West cross-country till I hit the sea. You can't miss the wreck.
Also in the area: Sand dunes, motoX play area, fossils, stone beaches and a long drive all the way up the West coast.

Wreck from the North

Click image to enlarge

Wreck from the South

Click image to enlarge

Sand dunes

Click image to enlarge

Stone beaches- compact in places, but very loose in others so be carfull not to bog in.

Click image to enlarge

Three Stars SS was a 1,791 tons Greek vessel built in 1943 by Walterr Butler Shipbuilders Inc, Superior, Wisconsin, USA for the Ministry of War Transport as the GURDEN GATES. During her life she had many owners and was renamed many times: 1949 BALTIC QUEEN/ 1950 CESARE CORSINI/ 1953 ARNO/ 1964 IRIDA/ 1965 O KALOS SAMARITIS/ 1965 THREE STARS.
On the 17th February 1967 she caught fire and was beached at Episkopi Bay and declared a total loss. It is now partly submerged in only 7 metres of water

Pre-Wreck picture.

Click image to enlarge

I plan on returning to this site once at low-tide so hopefully will get the chance to see more of it Very Happy

North of Kolossi

From the wreck I followed the costal track North and came out in Episkopi Village. A short drive East to Kolossi Village I was able to head North up the hills on dirt/ dust tracks where there are amazing views and good, mild, paintwork safe tracks.

Also in the area: Lots of goats, lizards (Bearded dragons) and snakes (I saw a 3' Black snake (Whip snake)).

View towards the coast Approx 5 miles North of Kolossi.

Click image to enlarge

Watch out for the odd drop-off

Click image to enlarge

If you have heard of anywhere with good sights/ been somewhere when on holiday here either post below or PM me and I will incorporate it into one of my outings. Coming up once the wagon is fixed:

-Mines around Troodos, Asbestos, Chromite and Copper. Many of these mines were just abandoned and machinery and building left in place (my brother is an Asbestos surveyor so wants pictures- what a geek eh!)

- Towns and villages around South Cyprus.

-Remote ruins. There are many Churches in very remote areas (5-10 Km from nearest road). Will see what condition they are in Smile.

-Buffer zone from the troubles back in the 70s.

-North Cyprus. I will be taking time to visit some of the towns and villages along with a trip to the end of the 'pan handle'.

and of course I will possibly be able to show pictures of Napa.... if suitable Wink!!

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR OWN PICTURES AND ADVENTURES

Glyn Dog :sheep:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by Glynparry25 on 19th Aug 2011 10:11am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #85166 19th Aug 2011 10:03am
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
The pan handles a different world for sure. Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #85168 19th Aug 2011 10:10am
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
thanks Glyn,keep um coming Thumbs Up 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #85169 19th Aug 2011 10:15am
pom

nice pics.

Pom
Post #85170 19th Aug 2011 10:22am
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Im soooo GREEN Mr. Green Mr. Green you lucky sod
Post #85171 19th Aug 2011 10:22am
Glynparry25

Hills North of Episkopi Village

I drove North out of Episkopi towards Souni. This is a Main road that passes through a large area of land caught in bush fires. The ground was all black other than the dust tracks and weeks later you can still smell all the burnt ground. I didn't have a chance to take pictures but I will venture back that way soon.

Once I was near high ground the country opened up and you can see hundreds of dirt tracks covering the hill sides. I looped around several small villages including Vouni and a beautiful village at the bottom of the valley called Kilani- stopped at a cafe and had some awesome food. Due to this being the point I saw my Vacuum pump seal had just gone, the trip was called short and I ended up taking the shortest route home.

[Picture] Views of the valleys with dirt tracks- it is easy to just pick a direction and just chop and change routes on the tracks.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

TIP OF THE DAY: If traveling with the window open and in the 'Defender arm out window pose' be sure to apply sun cream to your left/ right arm (depending on LHD/RHD). Otherwise you get home with one normal arm, and one RED arm!!

Glyn Dog :sheep:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #85174 19th Aug 2011 10:26am
XS Pete

England 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Stopped for a Greek Mac at that McD's near Skarinou on the A1 a couple of weeks ago, and saw a Toyota 4x4 and a van full of 'blue caps' doing the same thing. How you guys get on in full camo gear in that heat I don't know!

Pete
Post #85862 24th Aug 2011 10:10am
Glynparry25

XS Pete wrote:
Stopped for a Greek Mac at that McD's near Skarinou on the A1 a couple of weeks ago, and saw a Toyota 4x4 and a van full of 'blue caps' doing the same thing. How you guys get on in full camo gear in that heat I don't know!

Pete

It is brutal.... But I have to admit that I haven't worn uniform for over 2 months (wore it about 3 times since being out here). Due to my job I am wearing t-shirt, shorts and trainers Smile.. like a real holiday!!

Have you had/ having a good trip?

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #85864 24th Aug 2011 10:16am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Glyn

Are you working secretly undercover for the Cypriot national tourist board or as a recruitment officer for the British army!

Either way I'm sold Laughing

Mark (jealous)
Post #85899 24th Aug 2011 4:29pm
TC

United Kingdom 
cracking pics Glyn Thumbs Up
Post #85918 24th Aug 2011 8:01pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Nice pics Glyn,

Looks quite similar to the north-central part of Chile (Same climate as well)}

Cheers! Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #85985 25th Aug 2011 2:41am
XS Pete

England 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Quote:

Thanks Glyn,

Yes, it turned into a good trip which I managed to drag out to the best part of three weeks! Spent a few days working (a bit longer than I'd expected), and then organised the family to come out. We had the best part of a week in Oroklini (just north east of Larnaka, just off the Dhekelia Road), and then drove west and spent just over a week at a place we regularly stay at in Paphos.

Wasn't really bothered by the power cuts as they seemed to occour when we were out and about, and once work was over it turned into a nice relaxing family holiday. Having the family out was the main reason I didn't get in touch, as there was never really an opportunity while we were over your way.

It was properly scorching and I came back to the UK looking almost black! You must have to be a bit careful with exposure now you're effectively resident. Lucky you can wear shorts and t-shirt for work, I'd struggle (and did for the first few days) having to wear anything more!

Pete
Post #86008 25th Aug 2011 8:35am
johnszs

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Alveston Red
lovely pics glyn Thumbs Up 2004 TD5 Defender 90 xs station wagon
Post #86421 28th Aug 2011 7:06pm
Glynparry25

I would tell you guys what I do here, but would then have to kill you Wink Cool

XS Pete wrote:
Quote:

Thanks Glyn,

Yes, it turned into a good trip which I managed to drag out to the best part of three weeks! Spent a few days working (a bit longer than I'd expected), and then organised the family to come out. We had the best part of a week in Oroklini (just north east of Larnaka, just off the Dhekelia Road), and then drove west and spent just over a week at a place we regularly stay at in Paphos.

Wasn't really bothered by the power cuts as they seemed to occour when we were out and about, and once work was over it turned into a nice relaxing family holiday. Having the family out was the main reason I didn't get in touch, as there was never really an opportunity while we were over your way.

It was properly scorching and I came back to the UK looking almost black! You must have to be a bit careful with exposure now you're effectively resident. Lucky you can wear shorts and t-shirt for work, I'd struggle (and did for the first few days) having to wear anything more!

Pete

Good to hear it all went well and you made the most of the sun. Back in UK I used to put moisturiser on to stop dry skin, so here I have just swapped the moisturiser for factor 15 sun lotion. I am the same colour as the locals now, and will be learning Greek next month so will have know the lingo too......I will have to change my name to Spearos soon.

There will be more updates soon as the new vaccum pump should be here tomorow, and then I just need to find a charging cable for my camera.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #86602 30th Aug 2011 12:28pm
ARMYBOB

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
hey glyn theres a nice castle at kollosi!
Post #86660 30th Aug 2011 6:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>