↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Europe > Cyprus pictures and things to see
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Here is another thing I have done- never thought I would see/ do anything like this in my life.

The girlfriend is signed up to turtle watch Episkopi http://www.episkopiturtlewatch.com/eng/ and me being a great boyfriend agreed to do the walks with her.

The walks are normally at about 0530 so have to wake up very early for a weekend (couldn't do it during the week because it overlaps work). We would then go to the designated beach and walk from one end to the other. Early in the season you see where the large (HUGE) turtles have dragged themselves up the beach and make nests during the night. These are then checked by a qualified person and either marked up as 'no eggs' or is covered with a cage and labelled with a nest number.

about 1.5-2 months later the eggs hatch and little baby turtles make their way down the beach to the safety of the sea. Again when you do the walks you see little tracks where the baby turtles have made their escape to ocean.

This last weekend (Sunday..... What a day to be woken at 0530!!) we got up and decided to take the Land Rover to the beach to start the walk. Half way through we noticed that a flock of seagulls were loitering, and once we got closer they flew off. I decided to check one of the nests further up the beach.... as I approached I could see trails that the nest had hatched and the little guys had made their way to the sea (but there weren't many tracks at the sea end). It looked like the birds had had a good feeding!..... I got to the nest and saw a baby turtle on its back- completely still- I felt a bit gutted that it was dead..... until I got really close and it started to try and flip over (not a chance). It looked as though it had been there whilst the rest were getting eaten by birds and it would have a slower more painful death as it dehydrates in the sun.

I called the girlfriend over and we carefully flipped him over onto his belly where he plucked up the strength to make his way down the beach. He was tired but put all he had to get to the sea where he could rest and swim away.

Here are some pictures I took:

Click image to enlarge

Poor guy on his back just about to get flipped over

Click image to enlarge

The journey begins

Click image to enlarge

Nearly safe

The nest was 150m away from the sea and it took him the best part of 15 mins to complete it. We walked the whole way to stop the birds coming back and to provide him with some shade.

Was such an awesome feeling to have done it, and at the same time gutted as he swam away- would have been awesome to have as a pet.... for the first year before a swimming pool would have been needed!!

He was a Loggerhead turtle and eats Jellyfish...

Glyn Dog :sheep:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #161882 14th Aug 2012 3:46pm
Glynparry25

tolley wrote:
fig tree bay is nice

We went there earlier this year and even though the bay is beautiful, the whole area has been ruined by tourism. The whole Napa and Protaras area are now just massive holiday resorts full of Brits on the Censored (half of them make me feel embarrassed to be British).

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #161884 14th Aug 2012 3:49pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Glynparry25 wrote:
The whole Napa and Protaras area are now just massive holiday resorts full of Brits on the Censored (half of them make me feel embarrassed to be British).

Glyn Dog Sheep

I know what you mean, it is a shame to see an are which was once full of local culture and food turned into a resort full of British food and beer!

Oh well each to their own Sad Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #161914 14th Aug 2012 5:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
XS Pete

England 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Not only British beer. Fortunately there are still plenty of places to get the two 'usual suspect' from:

Click image to enlarge

Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get enough down my neck while over a couple of weeks back!

Pete
Post #170653 25th Sep 2012 9:16am
Glynparry25

Pete, you are obviously a man of good taste.... Keo and Leon are currently my favorite, but after a few I seem to misplace them:

Click image to enlarge

Glyn Dog :sheep:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #170893 26th Sep 2012 4:21am
XS Pete

Rolling with laughter Cracking picture Glyn, although I don't think I've ever seen someone with a Keo and a bow tie Rolling with laughter
Post #170918 26th Sep 2012 8:41am
Dave

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Great pics, and great news about the turtle mate. But....Sideburns like that...in the Mess....and bottles at the table, Dear god! Captain Nick Medhurst would ask:
"What is the first rule when overlanding?"

I would Reply:
"Duratrac"
Post #171001 26th Sep 2012 1:50pm
Glynparry25

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Well, I wouldn't exactly call it a mess.... it is RAF, they don't have the same culture, traditions or ethos unfortunately...... I could kill for a proper Army mess right now!!!

One of the mess rules: Flip flops are not to be worn in the mess at any time, shoes, trainers or sandals are acceptable............ WTF- what is the difference between sandals and flip flops? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Just my 2 pence worth.

As for the sideys.... don't get me started, many a night in the mess has been spent discussing them- the last one ended in me asking a RAF engineering Warrant officer "So what you are telling me is, you would rather a cr@p tradesman with short sideburns over an awesome tradesman with long sideburns?" he replied "yes, of course".... I then replied "You are a F**king idiot". After 5-10 seconds no reply I picked up my Keo and walked off to talk to a couple of other guys.

I must admit they are normally higher but after a few recent incidents where the Station Warrant Officer (Rock Ape) questioned my integrity resulting in him getting told to wind his neck in and then getting told I am on compulsory redundancy I have decided to grow them an extra inch and rub them in his face.... almost literally.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #171015 26th Sep 2012 3:46pm
Dave

Brilliant in all respects Laughing ..apart from the redundancy of course. My experience of the RAF has a similar slant, also, because their working dress is asda school uniform in the Uk I can kind of see the sandal angle, they would be worn with socks of course Shocked Captain Nick Medhurst would ask:

I would Reply:
"Duratrac"
Post #171158 26th Sep 2012 10:10pm
Dave

Brilliant in all respects Laughing ..apart from the redundancy of course. My experience of the RAF has a similar slant, also, because their working dress is asda school uniform in the Uk I can kind of see the sandal angle, they would be worn with socks of course Shocked Captain Nick Medhurst would ask:

I would Reply:
"Duratrac"
Post #171160 26th Sep 2012 10:11pm
XS Pete

Glyn,

As mentioned recently, here are a few Landie related snaps taken at the beginning of August, at G.Mantis place near Xylofagou. Quite a collection he has there:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hope they don't make you miss the place too much!

Pete
Post #258373 13th Aug 2013 10:53am
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Spotted this fishy looking series two near Ayia Napa earlier this year

[URL=][/URL]

[URL=][/URL]

I also called into Mantis' place and noted he had got rid of lots of his old 'series' stuff, but had a couple of wrecked Defenders

[URL=][/URL]

[URL=][/URL]

[URL=][/URL]

And this in a scrappies full of Cypriot National Guard Lightweights

[URL=][/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #260618 22nd Aug 2013 6:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123