↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Range Rover Sport ‘most stolen and recovered’
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Range Rover Sport ‘most stolen and recovered’
"Keyless theft has risen to an all-time high, with 93% of all recovered vehicles having been stolen without the thief having possession of the keys in 2020, according to analysis from stolen vehicle recovery (SVR) expert, Tracker.

This has nudged up from 92% in 2019 but represents a 26% increase in the past 5 years.

Thieves use sophisticated equipment to exploit keyless technology by hijacking the car key’s signal, typically from the security of the owner’s home, and remotely fooling the system into unlocking the doors and starting the engine, says Tracker. This is commonly known as a ‘relay attack’.

The new data from Tracker reveals that Range Rovers and Land Rovers take six of the ten places in the 2020 list of Tracker’s most commonly stolen and recovered vehicles.

The three top spots in the 2020 league table are all Range Rover models - Sport, Vogue and Autobiography. The Land Rover Discovery, Range Rover Evoque and Land Rover Defender also make the top ten.

These six models alone account for 37% of all stolen cars recovered by Tracker in 2020.

Clive Wain, head of police liaison for Tracker, said: “Range Rover and other Land Rover models have always featured in our top ten most stolen and recovered league table in the last 10 years, as has the BMW X5 which has slipped from second to fourth position in 2020.

“However, most premium 4x4 cars are hot targets, with car thieves stealing to order, often shipping them abroad or stripping them for parts in a chop shop to meet the growing demand for spare parts.”

Keyless car theft has risen dramatically in recent years. “It is quick and easy for professional criminals who have the tools and experience,” explained Wain.

“Cars are commonly taken from outside of the owners’ house, often discreetly and within minutes, meaning the theft often goes unnoticed for some time.

“We encourage drivers to use traditional visual deterrents such as crook locks and wheel clamps to deter criminals and protect their car, however in the event of a theft, stolen vehicle tracking technology will significantly help police quickly close the net on thieves and return the vehicle to its rightful owner.”

Tracker SVR solutions work like an electronic homing device. A covert transmitter is hidden in one of several dozen places around the vehicle and a combination of VHF with GPS/GSM technology, makes its units resistant to GPS/GSM jamming."

Click image to enlarge

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/manufactu...-recovered
Post #885861 16th Feb 2021 2:53pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Two questions spring to mind.

First, Are the LR models in the top five because they're they easiest to get into or the most in demand from those less salubrious types.

Second, given the focus of the article is 'keyless' entry and Tracker recovery, is the Defender listed in =10th the new model? Whilst I know the Puma and before are always in demand, and have a high theft rate, i can't imagine many are recovered so would get a top ten billing. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #885865 16th Feb 2021 3:17pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
They’re desirable to thieves; the MY18> stuff with UWB keys are supposed to be a lot more secure (they were the only cars ADAC in Germany couldn’t nick, but it seems there may already be ways around it):

https://teamtalk.jaguarlandrover.com/news/...ry-attacks
Post #885894 16th Feb 2021 4:34pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
That snippet of information contradicts the opening information about thefts.

so who's telling porkies?
Post #885896 16th Feb 2021 4:43pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
The technology in certain MY18-onward LRs makes them (or, at least, did make them) much harder to steal. Presumably not every nicked Sport is post-2018.
Post #885900 16th Feb 2021 4:48pm
Tim in Scotland

Grenadier wrote:
Two questions spring to mind.

First, Are the LR models in the top five because they're they easiest to get into or the most in demand from those less salubrious types.

Second, given the focus of the article is 'keyless' entry and Tracker recovery, is the Defender listed in =10th the new model? Whilst I know the Puma and before are always in demand, and have a high theft rate, i can't imagine many are recovered so would get a top ten billing.

I suppose some here would say “who would want to steal a New Defender........” Whistle

I must admit I still keep my keys in a Faraday Pouch all the time they aren’t needed to get into the car or to start it. I Use the square buttons on the door handles to unlock and lock it too so the fob buttons never get used. You do have to stand very close to the car though to get the keyless entry to detect the fob with this car compared to my previous RRS’s and Evoques - within 0.5m compared to arms length for the previous cars. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #885926 16th Feb 2021 6:40pm
FastLaneJB

United Kingdom 
Sorry if reviving a slightly old thread. Comes up high on Google searches is all.

Just a thought on this as I read it but it’s the most stolen AND recovered cars. Land Rovers are surely high up here because they make it very easy to have a tracker added to a new vehicle in their order process. Not seen that with other makes generally and along with UWB in the keys I feel like Land Rover is making more effort here than others.

What might be more telling is the most stolen and never recovered cars?
Post #908217 16th Jun 2021 8:41pm
Supacat

Click image to enlarge

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/a...-data.html

My brother is selling a 2016 Audi A5. It's a stolen and recovered car. House break in and found keys. Car was recoved after less than 24 hours.

Several dealers/online buyers didn't want to touch it and those that did offered less because of this fact.

It might be nice to get your car back, although some may question that, but isn't the name of the game not to get it stolen in the first place; or at the very least make it harder than other premium vehicles?
Post #908259 17th Jun 2021 6:39am
Tim in Scotland

Not many EV’s in that list…………. Does nobody in the London area want a cheap knocked off EV to dodge the daily ULEZ charges? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #908269 17th Jun 2021 8:28am
TamarBlue11

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tamar Blue
No defender either?
Post #908270 17th Jun 2021 8:40am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Not many EV’s in that list…………. Does nobody in the London area want a cheap knocked off EV to dodge the daily ULEZ charges?

No, but if it’s a hybrid they will help themselves to the cat………clearly the rest of the vehicle is not worth the scrap value.. Whistle
Post #908281 17th Jun 2021 9:57am
FastLaneJB

United Kingdom 
Supacat wrote:
It might be nice to get your car back, although some may question that, but isn't the name of the game not to get it stolen in the first place; or at the very least make it harder than other premium vehicles?

I agree, I think though that’s what Land Rover is trying to do though. They go UWB keys to solve the relay attack issue long before other makes. They also do heavily cover Trackers which yes is an after theft issue but still trying to overall make it more hassle / less desirable to steal.

Personally if I had a car stolen I’d hope to never want to see it again. You’ve no idea what might have been done to it even if it looks OK and as you mention getting rid of it later on might be harder.
Post #908300 17th Jun 2021 12:14pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
TamarBlue11 wrote:
No defender either?

Looks like the Range rover and discos are more hotter due to how common they are over the defender. I think the nissan theft wise will be up here that. Due to them been made up in the north east. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #908584 20th Jun 2021 1:14am
Procta

United Kingdom 
FastLaneJB wrote:
Supacat wrote:

I agree, I think though that’s what Land Rover is trying to do though. They go UWB keys to solve the relay attack issue long before other makes. They also do heavily cover Trackers which yes is an after theft issue but still trying to overall make it more hassle / less desirable to steal.

Personally if I had a car stolen I’d hope to never want to see it again. You’ve no idea what might have been done to it even if it looks OK and as you mention getting rid of it later on might be harder.

I have had mine found destroyed, which they did me a favour, they had gave it a right old hard time, so you never know what damage they have done. Sadly its was another one off the road. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #908585 20th Jun 2021 1:16am
Supacat

Update:

Range Rover Sport tops the table for 3rd year in a row.

Click image to enlarge

ABP Club (@abpclub) Tweeted:
@Tracker_UK data - Range Rover Sport most stolen and recovered car in 2021... https://t.co/1ol5R8LVpG https://t.co/z1c5G7nflJ https://twitter.com/abpclub/status/1486651...NpdGu-OhCg

If I'm reading this right then 44% of stolen recovered vehicles were JLR products. Shocked

Click image to enlarge

https://www.policeoracle.com/news/Range-Ro...08529.html

Click image to enlarge
Post #940890 4th Feb 2022 7:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>