Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
LR09WA

Australia 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
G Wagon Fail..
Post #83132 5th Aug 2011 2:55am
pannawonica

Australia 
Have you seen the price of those things?
I know we can have our little issues, same thing happens with Tojos at work more frequently than you would think.
I also think that they have not been driving with any mechanical simpathy, the oil in the shocks can get
hot enough to burn the paint off on corregations.However you would probably be aware of reduced damping
performance before this event. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #83134 5th Aug 2011 4:58am
ken

United Kingdom 
And of course a Standard Puma would have faired better Rolling with laughter

At Least MB are trying to do a bit unlike LR at the mo love some of the comments god they love Toyotas
Post #83139 5th Aug 2011 7:32am
farmer giles

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Cairns Blue
nice to see that air con is considered a neccessity when Len Beadeall spent 15 years in the outback WA in a series 1 WITHOUT aircon. Rolling Eyes
Post #83142 5th Aug 2011 8:07am
RED-DOT

Scotland 
With a vehicle as good as a G-Wagen it would be easy to forget the torture the running gear is going through and drive it un-sympathetically... I had a LWB Petrol which was totally reliable for 3 years and it is the only car i wish i kept. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #83149 5th Aug 2011 10:12am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
They are excellent. I would mind to swap for a G Wagen! Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #83155 5th Aug 2011 12:01pm
defender 1

Falkland Islands 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi HT Alpine White
best vehicle i ever owned just getting the parts down here was very expensive
Post #83213 6th Aug 2011 12:11am
Setok

Finland 
Am I the only one that doesn't really get the G Wagon? Every time I see one it seems to be like a slightly ugly version of the Defender (huge similarities, and Land Rover was a template for them). It's over twice the price (and Defenders aren't cheap). Seems parts are expensive too. It has lockers on all axles, which is nice, but loses in many other offroad areas to the Defender. So what's so great about them?

I agree, though, that if Land Rover was serious about this kind of stuff, they should be doing something to show it. They really seem more interested in poncy Beckhammobiles than building great, functional vehicles.
Post #83216 6th Aug 2011 12:54am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
There has been a G-wagen for sale at my local(ish) merc dealer for some time now, 80,000+ pounds. I don't know how they justify it at all. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #83236 6th Aug 2011 10:03am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigMike

United Kingdom 
We know that all vehicles can have issues, but for 6 of 7 new vehicles to burst shocks on corrugation is downright poor. Unless of course they were heavily overloaded, but then if that's the case they should have known better.

standard LR shocks can and do burst on corrugation too though, esp in very hot weather.
Post #83240 6th Aug 2011 11:21am
leeds

United Kingdom 
I like the following parts of that report

Quote:

"When we undertook this journey we were well aware of the punishment that the vehicles would endure," he says. "We put in place a group of very experienced Outback operators who have the expertise and logistical knowledge to cover off any eventuality. This planning has more than paid off in ensuring that we reach our goal of Halls Creek on August 9, 2011.

"I have complete faith in the team out on the Canning and the thorough logistics and preparation the team have put in place," says von Sanden.

and

Quote:

Local spokesman David McCarthy says the broken shock absorbers - and three snapped spare wheel mounts - were expected.

So with thorough logistics and preparation by experienced outback operators to cover every eventuality AND expecting shock absorbers to fail they did not carry spare ones?

So on the face of those statements I would question their experience/preparation/thorough logistics etc.

As a solo vehicle in 08 touring Australia I carried spare shocks. There again I did not have the luxury of an international company who would fly in spares nor did I have a mechanic on board.

Yes when we got back to the UK we had to change the shocks.

Brendan
Post #83245 6th Aug 2011 12:15pm
LESVOSD110

South Africa 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Fuji White
The Greek army use these,and they do fail often even from engine related problems.All vehicles do have there quirks but some better than others.The best for me is,the SA built series III with the ADE diesel.Low reving thumper that Toyo used aswell. Puma 110 SW
90 V8 SOFT TOP
Post #83250 6th Aug 2011 1:31pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I'm confused as I'd read reviews and seen on the box that they were dated in design when they first came out years ago, were incredibly heavy etc and where not well regarded, they were the bottom of the pile for 4x4,s. Maybe that was an older model Confused maybe 6-7 years ago! I thought they were discontinuing them as they were an old product and sales had plummeted! Odd!
Post #83253 6th Aug 2011 3:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pom

LESVOSD110 wrote:
The Greek army use these,and they do fail often even from engine related problems.All vehicles do have there quirks but some better than others.The best for me is,the SA built series III with the ADE diesel.Low reving thumper that Toyo used aswell.

No wonder the country is smoked if they were spunking cash on g wagons.

Pom
Post #83257 6th Aug 2011 5:00pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
If you know about engineering look under a G Class then look under your Defender and see the difference... Made by Daimler Steyer Puch and not by accountants. I would have one again in a minute but to see the massive over-engineering and rust protection on a G Class would make a welder weep. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #83271 6th Aug 2011 9:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>