Home > Puma (Tdci) > ABS/ Traction Control
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tobyrm1

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
ABS/ Traction Control
Hi,

Wonder if anyone has any ideas. I have got a 15 plate 90. When I go over a speed bump or the hump backed bridge by my house when coming down from the top of it it feels like the abs comes on on the passenger side front wheel. Makes the clicking noise and wants to drag the steering wheel left. No lights on the dash. It’s getting very tedious. I’m going to check the wiring today and the half shaft end float etc

I should say if I turn the TC off on the dash it doesn’t do it.

Does anybody know how far the abs sensor should be pushed in?
Any other ideas of things I can check?

Thanks

TOBY
Post #868723 21st Nov 2020 9:00am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
What you can turn off on the dash is the electronic stability control that was fitted to the last year or so of production, although it uses some of the same hardware.

Something similar to your problem was described on here recently and the suggestion was that the steering angle sensor needed to be calibrated (or was faulty). This can only be checked and done with a decent diagnostic tool such as the IID. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #868786 21st Nov 2020 4:24pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
My 15MY 90 with DSC is the same, speed bumps trigger the DSC. I either slow down a bit, or knock the DSC off if I remember.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #868840 21st Nov 2020 8:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Its a side effect of having DSC on such a short, and such a high CofG vehicle. The braking interventions needed to stabilise the vehicle as it starts to generate slip are required both quickly and to a much higher level than in say a normal saloon car. Therefore you naturally generate sensitivity to more normal road events where similar vehicle level inputs are seen even if only briefly.

I suspect the inputs to the intervention for the beginnings of a slip condition are being generated by the speed bump. Thus it begins the intervention required for a more major slip condition, and then stops when it realises the wheel is back at stable road speed again.

Only way to resolve it is to slow down over the speed bump so that the wheels remain at the same speed and don't leave the ground. You may find its worse if you cross the speed bump at an angle as it will simulate a single front wheel slip condition which very quickly generates instability. Its frustrating, but it's keeping you safe when you then find a real slip condition.

edit: I really wouldn't strip the vehicle down or start investigating parts. You're more likely to cause problems than solve them. If it's working at all - it's working. It may well be a frustrating stability tune, but if it's got any inputs AT ALL that don't make sense to it it will fault and give you the code and warning light to suit. The systems are just as capable of creating issues in vehicle dynamics as they are at solving them should they have a problem, so they are very robustly error proofed whereby they will not intervene unless the inputs "make sense" to the software calibration in the module.
Post #868916 22nd Nov 2020 10:16am
NMBRPL8

Australia 
Have you tried lodging a complaint to your local council?
One of my neighbours has a hotted-up V8 Holden and evertime he leaves the house the sealed road surface is so defficient in grip that he always seems to lose traction on his rear wheels.
I complained to the council but they said it was more likely attributable to the neighbour driving like a dick.
Either that or slow down for the speed bumps which I presume are there for a reason.
Post #869102 23rd Nov 2020 11:02am
tobyrm1

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. It seems like it is relatively normal for a Defender with traction control. I am used to my 110 td5 which doesn’t have any electronic intervention!

I won’t investigate further and will just let it do it’s thing!

Thanks
Toby
Post #869641 25th Nov 2020 11:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1