↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Whoosh Sound (Oil Leak: Part Deux)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
Whoosh Sound (Oil Leak: Part Deux)
Further to my earlier questions about an oil leak (injector seals) which has 90% fixed the problem, I have another oil leak. This time it's behind the passenger side inner wing so it's really hard to see where it's coming from. With five days of rain forecast I've decided to ask you people for opinions rather than actually take the inner wing out and have a look (I've already spent a day trying to do that and just done a top bodge of putting the wheel arch back on with zip ties).

This is where the oil is coming out, either side of the shock cover. It's minor but needs attention because I think there's more to it...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The Symptoms
Since getting the injector seals changed the car drives much better, sounds much less like a diesel and is more revvy. However, when the turbo comes in at around 2500rpm I can hear a hissing sound from the passenger side of the engine and there is no turbo kick in power, it just revs more and chugs along. I'm wondering if that's the oil leak, something in the inlet system that's leaking out the boosted air but why would that produce oil up the inner wing? If that is a thing where would it be leaking from? I've been under the car today and can't see anything obvious and there are so many pipes from the top it's hard to see anything. However, there is a slight bit of moisture on the inlet manifold but I can't see and trail of oil from that area down to the inner wing. Could it be that, inlet manifold gaskets?

Click image to enlarge

Basically, I haven't got a clue. Please help me. Laughing I'm pretty sure it's not the air compressor thing for the brakes, that seems to be dry. Any ideas would be greatly received.

Thanks,
Andy.
Post #858933 30th Sep 2020 11:36am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I would look first at the pipe from the intercooler to the inlet manifold, since a split in this would cause the sound. The oily discharge could simply be gunk that has come from the crankcase breather and is being blown through the intercooler back into the induction system.

The only other thing that is prone to leaking oil on that side of the engine bay is the vacuum pump, but in this case there would probably be oil all over the underneath of the bonnet.
Post #858934 30th Sep 2020 11:45am
AndyS

Thanks. It could be gunk from the intercooler, it's been running really badly for ages. I better take the inner wing out and have a good look around. I'll report back anything interesting. Thumbs Up
Post #858952 30th Sep 2020 1:18pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
As blackwolf says very likely the boost pipe. No need to take off inner wing, you can see the pipe from the engine bay. Goes from the intercooler to the inlet manifold.

> 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #858955 30th Sep 2020 1:54pm
AndyS

That's two beer I owe you! (Why is there not a beer emoticon?) Thanks for helping. Hopefully I can help someone soon, rather than just posting photos of my dogs. Very Happy

Is there any reason to get the LR hose or would the Britpart jobbie be OK? There's £25 difference in price.

Click image to enlarge

I tried to bodge it with tape but now it screams really loudly when the turbo is working, not ideal. Laughing

Do you think the intercooler needs cleaning? It's pretty gunky inside the pipes. I'm reluctant to do it because the air-con radiator needs to come off and I can't be arsed to get it discharged/recharged (and I can't afford to).

Thanks again. Thumbs Up
Post #859097 1st Oct 2020 11:01am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Whilst there are many several people who reckon that many Britpart components are OK, I am not one of those people, and generally would sooner set myself on fire than fit a Britpart component. My experiences with Britpart make me think it likely that the LR part would probably be cheaper in the long run.

There are many suppliers of silicone pipes which may be no more expensive than the genuine part.

It would probably not be a bad idea to clean the intercooler but I imagine that any residue form the leaky injector seals will before long blow its way through the engine and that it isn't really necessary. If you were serious about cleaning up your induction system, you could consider fitting a catch can such as a Provent filter (several threads on the subject) and then cleaning the intercooler.

Not having a/c om my Defender (for precisely this sort of reason) I don't know for sure, but it might be possible to leave the a/c heat exchanger hanging and remove the intercooler. Someone on here will know.
Post #859107 1st Oct 2020 11:33am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I fitted silicone when I replaced mine thinking they might be more hard wearing. Who knows. Go with whatever your budget allows, it's only a pipe at the end of the day.

My intercooler and pipework needs clearing out too after the breather pipe debacle. Hoping it will clear itself in time!? Keep hoping...

As a temporary bodge to keep you mobile you can tape it, just go round and round and round with duct tape or something. I ran mine like this for a week or so while I waited on a replacement hose. > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #859108 1st Oct 2020 11:37am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i wouldnt replace it with a Britpart item. Bearmach - yes.

you can take the intercooler out without taking the a/c condenser out. having said that i wouldnt remove and clean it in your position, it will clear through. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #859117 1st Oct 2020 1:05pm
AndyS

Parts ordered, Britpart will do for the moment. I've spent a lot of money of it this month so I can defer payment for a durable pipe for a month or two.

Thanks again people. You have been the only people who have managed to name the problems with my Defender. Amazing.
Post #859124 1st Oct 2020 1:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1