↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Paint Recommendations for New Galvanised Chassis
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Paint Recommendations for New Galvanised Chassis
Morning All,

About to purchase a new galv chassis for my pending rebuild. As i am not a fan of the bare galv chassis look, I would like to paint it satin black.

Looking for recommendations for paints please. I have some Mordent Solution already so was planning on a red oxide prime and satin black top coat.

I will probably also use Dinitrol cavity wax internally for good measure.

I was planning on using the Buzzweld Galv-in-One paint but after very poor experience with their RCP and CIO on another chassis I am slightly put off using their products.

Cheers,
Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #852092 26th Aug 2020 10:23am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I think I'd go for an etch primer rather that red oxide and POR-15 makes a good chassis paint.

For the obviously visible rear crossmember, I've found that a few spray coats of a decent satin black finished with a clear lacquer gives a nice result. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #852100 26th Aug 2020 10:43am
rallysteve

Cheers, POR15 was on my list but I believe it is only available as a gloss finish?

I was also looking at Coroless paints but seem to be aimed more at overpainting corrosion 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
Post #852104 26th Aug 2020 10:50am
trailbear

United Kingdom 
You could look at Bill Hambet, I have used a lot of their products over the years with good results.
I am about to paint the chassis on my 110 and intend on using their paint this time around.

I too have used paint systems that others on the Forum seem to favour which make all sorts of claims and have never really had any better results than good old fashioned hammerite. I have found that when seeking advice from the suppliers / makers of the paint, the favoured reply is:
“ well you have a obviously not followed the correct procedure “
I apparently need more practice on the correct usage of the paintbrush. 🤔

I personally don’t like the idea of covering something in sticky wax that covers everything and you have no idea what’s going on underneath until it’s too late. At least with paint, problems can be seen and addressed very easily. I do however use wax for the inside of the chassis only because I can’t get in to paint it.

This of course is only based on my personal experience and I have no doubt that others may have different experiences or opinions.
Post #852118 26th Aug 2020 11:50am
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
While you're at it have a look at what this couple did to their new galvd frame Surprised

https://youtu.be/DyBbXmVFZUo?t=151
Post #852123 26th Aug 2020 12:07pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
From what I’ve read buzzweld use a modified corroless paint.
If interested in neat corroless then the best option after etching the galvanised chassis is their S primer followed by their RF16 topcoat. They also do an etch primer for galvanised metal. https://www.arc-rite.co.uk/paints/automoti...t-products
Worth giving them a call and they can advise.

I’ve used corroless chassis in one on another vehicles sills and it worked well.

Some more alternatives are available from frosts. They have Eastwood, frost and por15. Again worth giving them a call to get their views. [url]https://www.frost.co.uk/chassis-paints/[url]

Bilt hamber as stated above have a good range as well. https://www.bilthamber.com/
Post #852124 26th Aug 2020 12:18pm
SteveT247

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
I used Galv in one on my rear X member back in feb, no complaints so far. I can't remember if I T washed it (they say you don't need to but can't see it doing any harm if you do), or just used degreaser prior to painting.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #852125 26th Aug 2020 12:29pm
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
Have a look at my 127 thread for a rundown of the paint I used, can thoroughly recomend Jotun products. 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #852134 26th Aug 2020 1:36pm
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
I went with the Corroless approach after speaking to Arc-rite. They have a paint which is supposed to be suitable to go directly on galvanized metal, no etch primer needed. However in the few places where I've caught it with a spanner, it seems to have chipped off pretty easily, so the jury is out for me. 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #852166 26th Aug 2020 5:09pm
rallysteve

That is interesting as I spoke with Arc-Rite today and they told me that I must use an etch prime first! Then recommended the corroless glass flake chassis paint over that. 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
Post #852167 26th Aug 2020 5:18pm
Litch

England 
Did my new Richards chassis a few months ago, leaving it bare was never an option (I love bare galvanising on a LR but NOT the chassis). Carried out lots of research beforehand and decided on the following process.

Chassis clean and de-grease.
T-Wash.
Arc-Rite Etch Primer, brush for main chassis rails / crossmembers and spray for awkward to reach areas.
Frosts Extreme Chassis Black (Satin), once again brush for main chassis rails and spray for awkward to reach areas and rear crossmember (the most visible spot). As it happens it brushes so smoothly that you can hardly tell the difference between the brushed & sprayed areas.
Black Waxoyl chassis black sprayed over the whole chassis apart from the visible face of the rear crossmember.

Looks great and hasn't shown any signs of falling off just yet!
As above, I will probably use clear Waxoyl internally at some point which is probably overkill but A- I like the product and have been using it for years, B- I have plenty and C- I have the equipment to spray the internal sections.

By the way, before anyone comments about the overspray on the wall let me say that it isn't! Mad
Parking in exactly the same spot for 21-years has left soot marks that don't wash away. Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 ONE LIFE, GET IT!
Post #852171 26th Aug 2020 5:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1