↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Salisbury Axle Fitted
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nickhodgson

Salisbury Axle Fitted
I have fitted a salisbury axle on my 2.4 Puma 130. Has anyone done a similar conversion and if so what propshaft did you use?

Thanks. 1995 300tdi Defender 90 P/UP
2011 Puma Defender 130 D/C
2000 300tdi Defender 110 P/UP
2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE
Post #629853 8th Jun 2017 9:20am
newhue

Australia 
yes and you have to go custom. I think I cut down the PUMA one. I think it ended up being longer than the salisbury, and need reducing. Where as the Tdi one that came with the salisbury need extending and coast more to do so. It was a long time ago and I am struggling to recall which was which. But they were the options. My Defender and travels
Post #631020 13th Jun 2017 11:47am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The Salisbury diff will have a longer nose than the snub-nose P38 diff fitted ex-factory, so it should be possble to get a standard propshaft shortened.
Post #631025 13th Jun 2017 12:19pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I had to replace my rear prop on my Td5 110 last weekend. After having one on order from a Bearmach supplier I ended up getting one from a selection of propshafts at the auto jumle at Malvern Land Rover Show.
I knew that my rear axle is the later one, the same as fitted to tdci's and allways thought that the older Salisbury axle had a longer nose but it's not the case. It's the later axles that have a longer nose, the props for later models are easily 2" shorter. It seems that the gearbox/transfer box is in the same place, the 6 speed box and different engine have made no difference to the propshaft lengths.
Post #631151 13th Jun 2017 7:43pm
newhue

Australia 
you sure JWL, salisbury nose is definitely longer than the P38. It's the very reason I changed diffs. P38 have a reputation of stripping gears from flexing under heavy loads with lots of articulation. Or in the Tdci's case, being swapped over by LR like change at a news paper stand from poor build quality. Where I was going I didn't need the hassle so it made sense back then.

On the ground apart from being heaps heavier, the Salisbury diff centre protrudes forward a fair bit more than P38. I never did the measurements but there is some banter on Tdci's transmissions being longer than Tdi to Td5 but I can't say.

Either way its cut down a 130 prop, or lengthen a 110 or 130, all of which is not hard for the shop but there isn't a factory sized change over. I do recall the Tdi prop I had was more robust than the Tdci. The later seemed like a coke can.

One can always chuck a pegging kit from Ashcroft in a P38 to solve the flexing issue. That wasn't fully realised by myself when I did the Sal conversion. The p38 is a smaller diff so ground clearance is better, and parts are cheaper. I gave my Sal a shave so its not far off a p38 now.

If I had my time again, and because my P38 was virtually new, I'd probably just peg it. A Tdci is relatively quieter than the Tdi donor vehicle. So one can hear more noised. My Sal had 300k on it and had developed a whine at 100km/h, which one can hear in a puma. Its cost AU$1000 to rebuild with bearings, stub axels, and labour initially. And would cost another a $1000 plus labour to replace the ring gear. So I drive it at 90 where the whine doesn't resonate. An ashcroft pegging kit would have been a much cheaper road. Plus no prop alteration.

Perhaps furthermore, if you not going on a remote holiday, with a fully laden truck, over rough ground, for several weeks, with a young family, and the recovery costs start at $10K, and your P38 does't clang and bang, do nothing. My Defender and travels
Post #631174 13th Jun 2017 8:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

Pegging the P38 won't help, though, since pegging stops the crownwheel from flexing away from the pinion. With the P38, the opposite happens and the pinion moves away from the crownwheel, which pegging won't prevent.

The Ashcroft long-nose conversion will solve the problem, however since it has similar pinion dimensions to a Rover pattern diff.

It's a shame it isn't feasible to fit the Rover pattern four-gear front diff in the rear axle, since it is a much better unit than the P38.

The TDCi propshaft is terrifyingly flimsy, you can almost cruch it in your hands!
Post #631207 13th Jun 2017 10:35pm
newhue

Australia 
Thumbs Up well there you go, dirty ol salisbury comes through. I'd be interested in a trusted guaranteed quiet pinion and ring gear for one of one has them lying around.

Can always chuck that p38 two pin centre out and pop in a detroit or an ARB. I found both have been a very good option. My Defender and travels
Post #631234 14th Jun 2017 5:54am
psimpson7

Australia 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Loire Blue
The Salisbury housing isn't great though... 2001 90 HT 6.0LS/6spdAuto.
2003 90 td5 soft top.
2014 90 XS SW 2.2.
Post #631235 14th Jun 2017 6:11am
blackwolf

If you put a Detroit, ARB, or Ashcroft locker or ATB into a P38 you will still have the problem of the very short pinion shaft and closely-spaced pinion bearings, so you will still have the potential problem of pinion movement. There is no way to avoid it if you are retaining the P38 pinion carrier.
Post #631244 14th Jun 2017 8:03am
newhue

Australia 
psimpson7 wrote:
The Salisbury housing isn't great though...

Pete, it appears not much is great when it comes to Land Rovers. What's wrong with the salisbury housing? My Defender and travels
Post #631259 14th Jun 2017 10:12am
psimpson7

Australia 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Loire Blue
On occasion they break, and when they do its terminal.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/technical-chatt...lures.html

Josh (Murray) had his fail at the Cape last year resulting in mammoth rescue. I cant seem to find a picture at the moment 2001 90 HT 6.0LS/6spdAuto.
2003 90 td5 soft top.
2014 90 XS SW 2.2.
Post #631277 14th Jun 2017 11:22am
newhue

Australia 
Yes I have seen that thread. Andrew discovered his Sal had the short side bent forward so he became concerned before his trip. Being a ex-Army Defender anything is possible with the way they are treated. But he just had it straightened and completed several long and demanding trips there after

With me, by replacing the 130 p38 with a 130 Salisbury I trusted there may be something in that. Also by design or by fluke the car over the weigh bridge full of family and expedition kit equals GVM, with the weight distributed perfectly over permissible max axle load for front and rear.
I believe or trust LR's publicised engineering figures should put max load still within safe working limit. However being a Land Rover its very possible the axel tube falls out tomorrow. So I'm left with luck.

I do think being realistic with load and its distribution, speed, tyre pressure, and conditions plays a big part in what fails. I'm not a betting man, but my guess the numbers of failed Salisbury diffs compared to to P38's is like chalk and cheese. Its just a shame though they are getting old, are very heavy to work with, and hang a bit. My Defender and travels
Post #631437 14th Jun 2017 10:04pm
nickhodgson

Update.......I had a 130 prop shaft for a late 300tdi with a P38 diff that I have shortened and is now working.

The late 300tdi (ROW) that had the P38 axle has previously been swapped to a Salisbury because I bent the P38 axle after being pushed off the side of the road into a big dip (fully loaded and towing!). Only noticed the bend due to tyre wear and then on removing the half shaft it was obvious as it was rubbing on the stub axle. Surprising the stub axle did not bend. 1995 300tdi Defender 90 P/UP
2011 Puma Defender 130 D/C
2000 300tdi Defender 110 P/UP
2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE
Post #632121 18th Jun 2017 8:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1