↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Engine Cutting Out - Glow-Plug & Oil pressure light
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
BarneyRubble

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
OK back from dealers (Lancaster - Reading).

They stated there were no fault codes when they checked, but that the drive train needed a software update.

I guess I'll have to wait and see. Barney

D4 - 2016 Graphite, Montalcino Red
Written Off - 2010 90 Hard Top, Stornoway Grey
Post #83018 3rd Aug 2011 9:01pm
BarneyRubble

Well obviously not fixed, as the engine cut-out at the Handy-Cross roundabout in this evening's rush hour!

Wouldn't re-start, kept turning over but not firing. Managed to get over to the kerb using the starter motor and after 5 minutes or so, just as I was about to ring LRA, it started up and kept running long enough to get home.

Called LRA, who turned up and couldn't find anything wrong.

No fault codes at all, fuel pressure OK (nearly 800 bar when revving), air sensor readings OK, and all clean when removed and checked. There was a "non-related" reference (whatever that means) to the fault code P068A, but I believe that is what the power-train software update was intended to fix.

So the LRA man left none the wiser with the advice that if it happens again, take it straight to the dealer and get LRA to sort out a courtesy car.

Personally, I think this must be an electrical issue with maybe something like the ECU thinking the ignition has been turned off - that might explain why the glow-plug light comes on and doesn't log a fault.

Opinions anyone? Barney

Post #83820 10th Aug 2011 10:24pm
nikojo

Any progress on this??

I think I have the same damn problem!

WTF!! Big Cry
Post #85922 24th Aug 2011 8:44pm
nikojo

Have them check the harness/loom...........mine was having similar problems on/off.........interestingly aggravated with left hand turns (don't know which way you go into roundabout).

Looking to replace now.
Post #86540 29th Aug 2011 6:23pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I am starting to wonder if these probelms, and my intermittent failure to start problem, are possible caused by the passive immobiliser malfunctioning and thinking that there isn't a valid key fob in range briefly. I haven't figured out a way to test this though.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to turn off the passive imobiliser (but if so, don't post how in a public forum)!
Post #86593 30th Aug 2011 11:21am
dorgmal

England 
Hi I just picked up a 2007 110, and I gotta say its chuffin great!!!! That Puma engine is great.... but twice now I have had the same issues as you guys... driving happily along and the oil and glowplug light pops on for a second and there is a momentary loss of power and all is then fine again Smile......

I know NOTHING about these new modern landrovers but are you guys suggesting replacing something... so sorry but I am a complete newbie when it comes to new landrovers... also my heater blower is only working on 3 so does that mean I have to replace the resistor pack?

any help would be grand....
Post #132231 18th Mar 2012 8:27am
BarneyRubble

Haven't had the exact same problem since LRA wiggled all the relays under the drivers seat.

I still continue to have the loss in power, and it wouldn't start last week - kept turning over but wouldn't fire.

LRA couldn't find any problems, neither could the dealer, but they re-calibrated the injectors to see if that cures it.

Just had a weekend in the Lake District, and although it worked OK, I'm not convinced it is 100% sorted. Barney

Post #132767 20th Mar 2012 10:36am
dorgmal

England 
owww I am gonna have a wee wiggle of my relays under the seat and see what happens!!!
Post #132869 20th Mar 2012 5:28pm
MD5

2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
doublea wrote:
Barney,

AA came out, the chap new exactly what the problem was - The wiring loom in the engine bay had been chafing against the lifting loop and blew the fuse. He'd seen the problem on another defender a few days before. Still took him an hour to locate the fuse. He taped up the wires and the vehicle is booked in to the local dealer.

I kindly ask if someone could post some pics of the wiring loom in the engine bay and where the fuse is located. Due to my poor english language knowledge I cannot fully understand what you mean Whistle Embarassed
Post #133889 24th Mar 2012 8:26am
BarneyRubble

Just had LRA out again!

He reckons its definitely the main power relay connections.

The story is here: http://www.defender2.net/forum/post136505.html#136505 Barney

Post #136506 3rd Apr 2012 2:53pm
baloo_bear

Italy 
Very Happy Thank you to everyone for the informations about this problem. Today I've found out the cause of the problem. The black wire connected to the ignition lock had a bad contact.
Simply moving the cable you may have the same symptoms as when you drive: power loss and glow plug & pressure oil indicator on.

I cleaned the faston and I squeezed it with a pliers.

I didn't drive the car yet, but now I can touch the black wire without have any symptoms.

Good luck to everyone Mr. Green
Post #162122 15th Aug 2012 2:24pm
Landie40

Australia 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Alaska White
I've had this same problem with engine cutting out / refusing to start with only the battery light showing.
I tracked it down to a row of 4 relays in the driver's seat box. Open the lid and they are facing you on the far side. I give them a firm push and I'm back in business. I must remove them and check the contacts, then clean/firm them up.
Post #443628 6th Aug 2015 9:11am
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Sorry for warming up an old topic but has anyone else noticed how freaking hot this relays gets? I got all my electrics in a Mulgo Box so I thought I check and was surprised about the elevated temperature..... maybe the reason for cutting out? M
Post #533917 23rd May 2016 9:49am
Falcon

New Zealand 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Indus Silver
Sorry to be bringing up a post from 2011, but I've just been out on a weekend trip to the middle of nowhere when exactly this started to happen.

The engine is running fine and then suddenly the oil light and glow plug light illuminate at the same time for around 4-5 seconds. While they are lit the engine doesn't cut out, it just decreases its revs. then once the lights go out it just goes back to normal.

It happened once on the way out, then the next day 5 or six times. Once in a river Sad not ideal

Anyway we got back safely and once back on tarmac it didn't happen once in a 3 1/2 hour run.

Really don't trust it to go back into the wilderness.

I've checked the relays they all look good and had a poke around the back of the ignition (where the key goes in) and fiddled with all those wires whilst running and I can't replicate the fault
Post #573228 25th Oct 2016 4:13am
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
As mentioned above I had the very same issue. I swapped the main power relay with another one and the problem never occurred again. Fingers crossed. Hope this helps. m
Post #573430 25th Oct 2016 11:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>