↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Pedal-to-driving position offset realignment.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Pedal-to-driving position offset realignment.
Was bimbling down one of our long, straight roads yesterday and glanced down into the pedal box. Clearly we know that our pedals are offset by quite an amount, indeed problematically so, but I thought that to straighten the alignment with the driver position would only require a movement left of perhaps 2-3cms. Whilst I understand that changing the position of the pedal fixing points, servo and engine bay access would be nigh on impossible, has anyone ever extended/adapted (or seen a modification) where the pedals themselves are curved left or alternatively the pads are extended left, much like the photo below? I ask as I have a couple of cheeky chronic injuries on my right leg and into my lower back, which my physio says is hard to rectify in part because of the Def. Straightening the pedal to driver alignment (and he's also said going automatic) would make a huge difference as it would take the twisting out of my lower back/pelvis/right leg that is exacerbating the injury. I don't want to sell the DC, obvs. Shocked

Click image to enlarge
 Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #888947 4th Mar 2021 9:38am
nitram17

Cheeky injuries? is it both legs ? can you touch your toes easily?The main problem with the defender is the hard suspension and the judder that transmits up your back causing back problems .Because of the limited headroom in the cab it is difficult to fit an aftermarket suspension seat or one of those spring setups they use on tractors.
Have you looked at lhd pedals (are they the same?}or the td5 defender pedals are straighter (so do they fit puma)There must be a way to attach something to fit over the levers to make the pedal broader.........Do you have problems driving other cars ?if not get some one to measure the angle of the hips ,knees and ankles using a goniometer sitting in the the car you have no problems with and try to replicate it in the defender by adjusting the seat. Have you fitted a cluch assist spring ?to reduce the effort and pressure on your knees and hips ..anyway good luck
Post #888992 4th Mar 2021 12:41pm
stew 46

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
I did get some fancy machined pedal covers you drill to fix them to your existing pedals , I’m sure they could be off set by 15-20 MM , I’ve not fitted them yet ( being a short ass I was thinking it would raise the pedal 10 MM ish Thumbs Up
Post #888998 4th Mar 2021 12:58pm
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
There seem to be plenty of adaptation options for motility cars in UK.
Have a look at something like this:
https://caradaptations.co.uk/adaptations/d...daptations

May be a solution to your problem.
Post #889009 4th Mar 2021 1:55pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
When I had a bit more free time, I built myself a Locust (based on a Hynes book written by Ron Champion - https://www.buildyourownracecar.com/build-...race-it/).
I had to relocate the pedal relative to the brake and clutch master cylinders.

I do not see why it is not possible on a Defender. On the older Defenders, the clutch pedal could be a bit more difficult to do du to the U profile of the pedal lever. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #889018 4th Mar 2021 3:12pm
Martyn668

United Kingdom 
I seem to recall an episode of Wheeler Dealers where he just put the pedal (from an Italian car IIRC) in a vice, and wellied it with a big hammer until he got the angle he wanted, and then reinstalled it.
Post #889064 4th Mar 2021 7:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1