↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Ineos in talks with Daimler to build Grenadier in France
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
It's a hell of a risk, isn't it Supacat?

Bridgend is also a different animal to Birmingham. But if your job is on the line, with no likelihood of getting another one, and you need to provide, it might be your only option.
Post #852261 26th Aug 2020 9:52pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I'm sure there was news in the last week or two of a new venture in the area, just can't remember what it was.

Having worked for a number of years with a few South Wales coal mines, I know the attachment to the area many of them had.

It was only reported as a possibility and then I wonder if it would be a few cherry picked roles rather than a general offer to most production staff?

Other news outlets are suggesting that JLR will redeploy current staff ~ there's got to be a few with little work to do on the Ingenium lines and then there's a few going spare from BMW with 100 jobs being cut from the 1,200-strong workforce at the firm's Hams Hall engine plant near Birmingham. Can't see JLR splashing out on relocation packages for someone else's employees if it doesn't have to; unless Ford are funding it.

Definitely hard choices if the offer was made.
Post #852264 26th Aug 2020 9:58pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I think it was EV batteries? The unfortunate truth is that bar Rolls Royce and Bentley car manufacturing in the UK is knocking on death's door. The only glimmer of hope I can see are new technologies but unless the government help with tax breaks, investment etc they too will migrate to the EU. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #852269 26th Aug 2020 10:14pm
Supacat

Yes that was it Thumbs Up

"South Wales has emerged as the frontrunner for a £1bn-plus investment for a huge new electric vehicle battery plant which would create up to 4,000 new jobs and up to 15,000 in its supply chain.

Britishvolt has confirmed it has identified St Athan, where luxury car maker Aston Martin Lagonda recently opened a new factory, for the proposed gigafactory, which would represent a £1.4bn investment"

https://www.business-live.co.uk/manufactur...0-18406521

Not forgetting the Govt have pumped a decent amount of money into AFV research in the last few years.
Post #852273 26th Aug 2020 10:23pm
Supacat

Google translate makes for a funny read but worth it:

"The agreement between Ineos and Daimler would initially maintain a little over 1,300 jobs. Ineos will ensure the continuity of production of the current Fortwo for a few years, enough to maintain activity while the Grenadier takes off."

https://www.caradisiac.com/ineos-l-etat-ou...185062.htm
Post #854279 4th Sep 2020 6:10pm
B4Lamb

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
With a UK/EU free trade deal looking ever more unlikely I wonder what import duty will be applied to these Lada looking creations. Maybe a good thing to keep them out of the UK in any great numbers. "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #854505 5th Sep 2020 9:51pm
Supacat

The takeover of the Smart factory in Hambach on track
https://www.en24news.com/2020/11/the-takeo...track.html

"There is now hardly any doubt: it is the British petrochemicalist Ineos who will buy the Smart plant in Hambach (Moselle) from Daimler. The only project in the running, this sale should receive the approval of the Economic and Social Committee (CSE) on Thursday, despite the fears and anger expressed since the announcement, last July, of the withdrawal of Daimler.

The prospect of assembling a new 4×4, the Grenadier, in a factory freshly reconfigured after an investment of 500 million euros, seems to be the only chance to preserve all or part of the 1,500 jobs at the Moselle site. “The arrival of Ineos Automotive, backed by its own investment, has the merit – and not the least – of safeguarding the site’s jobs, even if a part of them will remain dependent on orders from Daimler”, explains the intersyndicale."

I think it did receive approval.
Post #867077 13th Nov 2020 1:52pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
You learn from living in France that lots of things can get ‘approval’ but until they are actually built/functioning/there for you to see, it is a mere paperwork exercise. I live in a ski resort and have travelled/worked extensively in almost every ski resort in France and I cannot tell you the number of approved lift, piste, expansion, and other schemes that have been ‘given approval’. The classic is inter-resort connections, which if all ‘approvals’ had actually been built would make the whole of the French Alps one single resort. We have two in our town that date back 10-15 years..... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #867129 13th Nov 2020 6:14pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
As it is to be built in France i guess that they will have to tweek it for local market and to sort out the wipers once and for all..

Post #867160 13th Nov 2020 8:49pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The UMM Alter is Portuguese Laughing Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #867193 13th Nov 2020 11:18pm
Supacat

Grenadier wrote:
You learn from living in France that lots of things can get ‘approval’ but until they are actually built/functioning/there for you to see, it is a mere paperwork exercise.

I know very little about French labour law, but isn't this the statutory employee's organisation at the factory. It's quite a big hurdle to have jumped to now have them formally onside with regard to the takeover.
Post #867215 14th Nov 2020 6:52am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
The UMM Alter is Portuguese Laughing

Doh.... Embarassed Rolling with laughter
Post #867227 14th Nov 2020 8:46am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hi markb110, the UMM did start out life as a French Cournil, so don't feel too bad!!
Post #867263 14th Nov 2020 11:40am
Supacat

A little more on the story:

"In a statement seen by Autonews Europe, the UK-based company said it was “delighted to have received the endorsement of the Workers’ Council and the unions at Hambach for our planned acquisition of the site from Mercedes-Benz”.

A final agreement should fall into place in the coming weeks, Ineos added. The French government has asked Daimler to continue to build Smart cars there until the UK carmaker starts building the Grenadier in Hambach – or, alternatively, provide other work to ensure continuity of employment.

In a statement, the workers’ committee said Daimler must offer assurances that it will continue some activities at the site before selling the factory to Ineos. At the same time, the union also expressed doubts that the Grenadier will be successful, as an ICE-powered vehicle “could be more difficult to sell in the second half of this decade.”

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/11/french-u...art-plant/
Post #867528 15th Nov 2020 3:29pm
Supacat

Deal now signed apparently, although not sure how the Times of Malta gets the scoop in my news feed!

"Mercedes-Benz parent Daimler has sold its Smart car factory in northeast France to Britain’s Ineos, which will use it to build a 4x4, a source close to factory management said yesterday.

“The sale was signed on Monday evening,” the source said, adding that the deal would preserve 1,300 of the 1,500 jobs at the site in Hambach."

" It will continue production of an electric-drive Smart and part of a new electric Mercedes SUV at the site until 2024, the source in Hambach said."

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/dai...eos.837479

The contract work can only be a real positive to the overall costings for the Grenadier; as will having it built by experienced workers.

Click image to enlarge

INEOS Grenadier (@INEOSGrenadier) Tweeted:
We can confirm today that we have acquired the manufacturing facility at Hambach from Mercedes-Benz. Manufacturing at Hambach ensures we remain on track to meet our plans to deliver the Grenadier to customers in early 2022. Full statement: https://t.co/a2RKd98O32 https://t.co/NHf1lSWXxP https://twitter.com/INEOSGrenadier/status/...69984?s=20

Last edited by Supacat on 8th Dec 2020 5:52pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #871985 8th Dec 2020 5:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 9 <123456789>