↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > JLR decision on possible model cuts due 'in a few weeks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
JLR decision on possible model cuts due 'in a few weeks
"JLR decision on possible model cuts due 'in a few weeks,' top exec says. Jaguar Land Rover will decide "in a few weeks" whether to further reduce spending and possibly cut models or modify future programs at the British automaker, a top executive said."

Unfortunately, full story sits behind a pay wall, but I wonder if this have implications for the 130?

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/jlr...-exec-says
Post #838280 19th Jun 2020 1:55pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
And/or the commercial variants?
And hopefully not the electric versions either!
Post #838293 19th Jun 2020 3:56pm
J77

Scotland 
They could cut the Velar, the new Road Rover EV will be similar size.
Post #838295 19th Jun 2020 4:23pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
They could cut the D5 now that the consensus seems to be that the New Defender is what the new disco should have been.
Post #838301 19th Jun 2020 4:33pm
J77

Scotland 
The D5 is LRs only proper 7 seater so I’d imagine it’s safe, at least until the Defender 130 arrives, if it ever appears.
Post #838307 19th Jun 2020 4:38pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
My post was slightly tongue in cheek.
I'm not fully up to speed with every single model in the JLR line up - but presumably up until recently every single one had a valid business case for existing.
Post #838316 19th Jun 2020 5:37pm
J77

Scotland 
Your comments not as tongue and cheek as you might think, the new Defender is attracting the attention of Disco owners. I can’t see me going back to a Disco even though I’m a Disco man at heart.
Post #838319 19th Jun 2020 5:50pm
Tim in Scotland

D5 is also their only 7 seater that people who don’t need a booster cushion when travelling in the rear most seats can sit in. They certainly can’t travel in comfort in the back of DiscoSport, RRS or New defender’s 3rd row for any distance. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #838333 19th Jun 2020 6:44pm
Supacat

More here:

""In the case of JLR, we need to wait for a few more weeks to understand this better," PB Balaji, chief financial officer at Tata Motors, owner of JLR, said during a call with investors on June 15, answering the call's host, Robin Zhou of Bernstein Research. "We don’t want to react to newspaper headlines to decide long-term strategy [because] the decision will impact us three to four years from now."

It turns out some development programs for new or refreshed models have already been delayed as a result of the global auto industry crisis. Nothing has been canceled or significantly changed though.

“We will come back later in the year once we have figured out the speed of liquidity build and affordability and what that means for those programs on pause,” JLR CFO Adrian Mardell said during a separate call.

A report from Automotive News even claims the future of the Jaguar brand is currently under review in a project that will be overseen by the company’s head of marketing, Felix Braeutigam.

“It’s not an easy task. It is a very renowned brand, yet in some markets it’s not as strong as it ought to be. The team is focusing squarely on what is the brand positioning of Jaguar and how we are going to make it sharper. And how we ensure the portfolio we have is in sync with that position,” Balaji commented."
https://www.motor1.com/news/429694/jlr-might-announce-model-cuts/
Post #838409 20th Jun 2020 6:55am
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
How can they reduce the model range? They only make one, just in different colours, don't they?
Post #838410 20th Jun 2020 7:21am
labbix

Here my comments on D5 vs New Defender, they should not cut the D5 as it’s no defender at all (to me at least):
>> No offense to anyone going to buy or already ordered a new Defender, but for me it’s very far from a Discovery. They shouldn’t even be compared. Which I now believe was something JLR never had in mind either.
I like the Discovery because of the airy feel, the driving position and inside space. The new defender I was in had a black roof, but even with a white one it would have given me an almost claustrophobic feeling. Did feel more like a truck driving position, and even compared to the D4 it felt a lot more ‘truck driving position’ than I had imagined. It reminded me immediately of a Hummer, which I never owned but drove a few times in Mexico and I really disliked that car. With 3 kids boot space and 2 row space (in width, not foot space) is important. A quick measurement I did myself, can be a little bit more or less.
Boot D5: 84cm high, 112cm width (with door opening almost the same) and length 107cm
Boot Defender 110: 92cm high, 113 width (but door opening only 94!cm), length only 85cm which is 22-23 cm less than the D5, so absolutely way too small for my use).
And even less space to put your tools than in the D5, instead there is some ‘cheap feel plastic’ box at the left side of the boot which eats space and felt not correct. The boot cover, which I took out of my D5 as well, was weird and even more useless/unpractical, at least to me.
Pivi Pro is way more responsive than in control in D5 and a lot quicker as well. Cameras seems to be better and sharper. The car didn’t have the camera mirror, which I guess is something useful when you have a full boot. But for the rest I didn’t see anything I really liked. So overall it was a disappointment and I didn’t even bother to drive it anymore as it would be a lost of time, as well because it was a D240 and I prefer 6 cylinders for such a heavy car, but again that’s personal and I’m quite sure the D300 will be around the corner. My conclusion, the new defender is absolutely no Discovery and never had the intention to become one. Hopefully the facelifted D5 will be available with Pivi pro and the new mirror. A new ‘end’ would be nice and a inline 6 diesel as well, but no Defender for me.
>>Forgot to mention:
Width of 2 row seats together (without space to windows): 133cm for the Defender vs 137cm for the D5.
Although the Defender felt a lot smaller than that.
After my measurements I went back to the D5 to check and immediately I preferred the airy feeling of the Disco, the wider front window helps a lot too to achieve this.
Post #838436 20th Jun 2020 9:15am
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
I doubt they would kill the Disco, by a simple reason: those buyers shuffled large amounts of money into the company and they will continue to do so.

I can imagine cutting the New Defender at all. In the end we are the offroad misfits and are prone for doing cheap and(!) multi-purpose and sustainable, so financial department will hate us. Never forget: cars have owner, Landrover have field service personnel.
Post #838440 20th Jun 2020 9:42am
zilch

Australia 
the Range Rover family is to cluttered, Evoque, Velar, Sport, Full Fat, must be room there to remove something
towards the bottom.. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #838442 20th Jun 2020 9:54am
J77

Scotland 
The Evoques a big seller as is the the RRS and FF, as I said earlier the Velar can easily be replaced by the new Road Rover EV.
Post #838453 20th Jun 2020 10:34am
Supacat

Retail Sales figures over the last few years:

Click image to enlarge

On figures alone Discovery is in the drop zone.

Although, only 200 sales of the new Defender in the financial year just gone (maybe just management cars?), and 22,000 orders taken over a 7 month period mean the new Defender is not off to the best start.
Post #838695 21st Jun 2020 10:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>