↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Experience of using a Hi-Lift Off-Road Kit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Experience of using a Hi-Lift Off-Road Kit
I purchased Hi-Lift ORK, I don't really plan on using it for recovery but as I don't have a winch I will take it with me when off-roading in Europe just in case. I'm more likely to use it when felling trees at home. Either way I thought I'd better learn how to use it, I naively assumed it contained everything required. Having looked at the instructions, it seems I need an additional long piece of chain with hooks to go between the jack and the recovery strap to allow the give the holding chain something to hook to when resetting the jack for the next pull.

Have I got that right? Has anyone used one with just the contents of the kit? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #942070 11th Feb 2022 3:53pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
The chain is best.

When using the Hi Lift as a short pull winch, as you say useful for clearing large branches out of the way, the chain won’t stretch.

There is not much in the way of pull with a four foot jack without having to reset it, so what you don’t want is a foot and a half of potential stretch.

The chain it talks of with the two hooks will lock onto itself so that you can easily adjust the overall working length.

The strap is best when wrapping around a tree to save the bark and the tree itself.

Hope that helps.
Post #942071 11th Feb 2022 4:06pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Just bear with me on this, as it's hard to get my head round and put in writing...

I think the chain I need is to allow me to reset the jack under tension and needs to be slightly longer than the full travel of the jack (4ft in my case). From reading the instructions and watching the very poor HiLift video, I don't believe its possible to reset the jack under tension when using just recovery straps with ORK as the holding chain that comes in the kit would have nothing to grab to take the tension. You can't hook it half way along a strap. Does that make sense and sound right?

If that's the case, where might I get a suitable length of chain with hooks? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #942072 11th Feb 2022 4:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1