↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Jaguar halts electric SUV over battery shortages
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Very good excuse for hiding all sorts of management failings...
Post #817748 1st Mar 2020 6:40pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
At least JLR are not blaming Corona for this.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/...h-solihull

Quote:
The Halewood production pause was related to the launch of vehicles such as the Range Rover Evoque plug-in hybrid as well as “to ensure market demand is balanced globally”, the spokeswoman said. The smaller Castle Bromwich and Solihull adjustments reflected fluctuating demand, she added.

Still sounds like waffle though. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #818161 4th Mar 2020 7:06pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
That sort of ties into a conversion at the launch event of the new evoque as we were discussing lack of PHEV and someone (no idea who he was he was in LR attire but not one of the dealer staff) said the production line needs tweaks i wonder if they utilised this opportunity to do that and it helped provide the smoke or a mirror which ever way you look at it 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #818174 4th Mar 2020 8:06pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
One of the biggest mistakes JLR made besides the design image is manufacturing it in the EU.
Especially with the UK uncertainty, in fact they'd have been better off delaying it even longer than they did before deciding their route.
They then have backed the wrong horse and that won't be popular in its self, on top of the ridiculous price tag is the icing on the cake.
From my point of view it all went downhill after Ford sold up in 2012 and that is part and partial to the govt at the time ignoring JLR as a British manufacturer and lining the likes of Citroens pockets etc.

Nissan an Asia derived company followed the same route as JLR with the Navara D40, building them in Spain with very poor quality and worksmanship.
Then people wondered why they had leaf springs and in particular the chassis have been snapping in half as well as alloy wheel recalls too.
Now, I know JLR has had recalls but nothing as serious as the chassis breaking in half!

Perhaps rather than obsessing over this petrol / diesel ban rubbish, more concentration should be on building and manufacturing at home and especially stop this throw away culture.
At least our Defenders don't get scrapped after about 6 years old like many out there either.

After the Disco 4 and the Puma Defender LR have proven of no interest to me at all and I'm more than happy with what I have. A slightly smaller Disco 4 in Defender size would have been better on my book if it had to be changed that much. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #818175 4th Mar 2020 8:11pm
Supacat

Shows a pretty unsustainable business model to me. They are not only having this break on top of those in the recent past but also a week at Whitsun and another around May time.

Speth's dash for volume has done the company no favours at all.
Post #818236 5th Mar 2020 8:12am
Supacat

RDR wrote:
i have an ipace on order which should prove interesting, the bmw will be going back to bmw to sell on as they track the battery and at end of useful life for the BEV usecase Can recycle them into energy storage solutions for (I think Bosch) where the life expectancy for that use case is +20 years which makes me feel a bit better about the battery impact.

Like you I thought we were talking about batteries lasting 10 years in cars, then 20 years in energy storage solutions, so first component level recycling would be 30 years down the road. Odd to see VW setting up that final stage now?

"VW battery recycling plant comes online in Germany ahead of EV push

Click image to enlarge

Volkswagen Group has opened a pilot battery recycling plant in the German town of Salzgitter that it believes can recover and reuse up to 90 percent of the valuable raw materials that make up the batteries for its growing wave of EVs.

The plant's recycling efforts are aimed at the end of the use line for lithium ion automotive battery packs, long after their first lives powering vehicles or their second lives as mobile energy storage devices. The plant focuses on the recovery of elements including lithium, nickel, manganese and cobalt from the battery packs, along with aluminum, copper and plastics used in their construction.

Automotive News detailed the automaker's ambitious battery recycling plans in 2019. The plant is part of the multibrand automaker's $86 billion go-for-broke blitz into electric vehicles, including the Porsche Taycan, Audi e-tron, and the VW ID3 and ID4.

The first vehicles in the group's plans are just getting to consumers, which means large volumes of battery recycling won't take place until much later in the decade, the automaker said. Initial volumes of recycling are targeted at only 3,600 battery systems per year, or about 1,600 tons, VW said.

In the Salzgitter plant, used battery packs are fully discharged and disassembled. The individual parts are ground into granules in the shredder and then dried, VW said. Along with more common aluminum, copper and plastics, the grinding process yields valuable "black powder" containing lithium, nickel, manganese and cobalt, along with graphite. The elements are later separated using water and chemical agents by what VW calls "specialized partners."

"As a consequence, essential components of old battery cells can be used to produce new cathode material," Mark Möller, head of the Business Unit Technical Development & E-Mobility for VW Group, said in a written statement. "From research, we know that recycled battery raw materials are just as efficient as new ones. In the future, we intend to support our battery cell production with the material we recover. Given that the demand for batteries and the corresponding raw materials will increase drastically, we can put every gram of recycled material to good use."

https://www.autonews.com/mobility-report/v...-batteries
[free registration may be required]

Volkswagen Electric Car Battery Recycling Plant:
Post #883283 5th Feb 2021 7:19am
Batalha69

United Kingdom 
Very interesting to understand what happens to the batteries at the end of their serviceable lives!
I also wonder what happens to the car when the batteries reach that stage? Taking the new defender PHEV for example, assuming the petrol engine is still in reasonable condition at that point, could new batteries be installed to replace the old ones?! Thoughts?
Post #900487 29th Apr 2021 9:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123