↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2008 Puma questions.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
P W

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Santorini Black
2008 Puma questions.
Hi,

I've found a 2008 double cab that I like the look of but have a couple of questions, some as a result of reading threads on this site. Would be grateful for your thoughts. Bearing in mind the warranty will now have expired....

1. I've checked the VIN on TOPIX and it's showing oil leak to parking brake recall outstanding. Will this be a free fix at a landrover dealership?
2. The vehicle has covered 31000 miles but appears to only had two services, last one 5000 ago?
(receipts for two, book stamped once)
3.I've seen all the threads about the piston oil jet issues, the VIN indicates the engine is in the risk range, was anything done to these engines that did not go bang to prvent it or is it at continual risk over and above a latter engine? (ie revised oil spray jets or ECU map, oil pressure release valve or oil grade change?) The engine sounds fine at present.
4. There is a lite clonk when the clutch is raies in neutral?

If the worst happened regarding the engine, what is the availability of a new one and what could I expect to pay for a new one. I don't suppose Landrover standby the failures outside the warranty period on the basis it's a known manufacturing detail? Could it be classed as not fit for the intended purpose if it failed at low mileage?

Last but not least, I could be buying from a dealer that will not offer a warranty, do I have any comeback at all if I discovered faults within a very short period of time (pigs can fly?)

Sorry for the length of the 1st post, I have searched the archives but still have the questions.

Thanks,

Paul.

PS

Anyone got a good 110 Double Cab XS for sale let me know!
Post #75524 12th Jun 2011 5:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Hi PW

Firstly welcome to the forum.

Not to answer some of your questions.

1) The oil leak from the transfer box recall P022 would be fixed by you local Genuine land rover garage free of charge, I'm not sure how to other than walking into a dealer armed with the vin No. but you can check that all the recalls have been carried out.
2) No sure on this one, it would be a good idea to find the vehicles history to see it they are motorway miles or field miles. Personally I wouldn't be very impressed looking at that log book and then ask myself what would happen when I try to sell it on!
3) See above to check if it was fixed.
4) There was a probelm with some of the earlier clutches, this could be one of them so I would want it replaced with a genuie clutch.

Although you say the vehicle is a 2008, if it was purchaesed in december 2008 the warrenty will last until december 2011. so may still be in warrenty!

Whether you by private or trade, these days you have a min of 30-60 day (i think you will need to check the exact time) where you can take it back.

I think it would be better to guage if this is a good deal by telling is the dealers asking price.

HTH

Russell Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #75532 12th Jun 2011 6:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
P W

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Santorini Black
Hi BR,

The asking price is just shy of 20K. I'd be paying £19,300.

It was regsitered in London and looking at it underneath, it's not seen many puddles let alone fields. Was there any preventative fix available that you know of for the engines identified as being at risk?

It's a Jan 08 registered vehicle.

What would a new clutch cost for this, anyone had to pay out of their own pocket that could give me an idea?

Many thanks for your response Russ,

Paul.
Post #75539 12th Jun 2011 6:52pm
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/ve...sort=price|desc,series|asc,model|asc&ls.logged=false&ls.c.modelgroups=8241

I think you should look around some more. No point buying if you're not one hundred percent happy. Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #75547 12th Jun 2011 7:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1