Home > Puma (Tdci) > ANTISTALL FEATURE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
felos

Greece 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Epsom Green
ANTISTALL FEATURE
Hello from Greece

Happy to find a forum specifically for 07' defender, I own one for a year now and I would like to share with you my vews:

The car is fantastic compaired with my previous one-ten and TD5,I had a mechanical problem with the rear diff. which will be changed with a new one (hope that will be OK),the only draw back I have is with the so called ANTISTALL feature.
Although this feature is fantastic when ascending at a difficult terrain,it is DANGEROUS at the opposite situations and I'm making myself clear.Imagine descending a very steep slipery slope in low 1st and needing to feather your foot on the brakes to slow a bit more,do you know what happens,the car .........accelerates.
I don't know if you have experienced this with your PUMAS but is a frightening one, offcourse it may happen in rather extreme off road situations or my car has a very sensitive antistall feature.
Any way I could do without it.

George NOT A TRANSIT
Post #5023 26th Nov 2008 5:12pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Great to have you here.

This has been discussed before, Antistall isnt your problem, its the slight throttle pick up.

I seem to recall there maybe a slight difference in amount between early pumas and latter ones.

I dont find it that bad (although i have taken it on any major steep slopes) but again it could be that my 08 is a little less agressive in the pick up.

Personally anti-stall is fantastic i cant fault it, i cant see a problem in the use of it, however, as an aside i do also have abs which can be used to support the descent (unlike normal brakes which should never be used). Mike
Post #5027 26th Nov 2008 6:31pm
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Land Rover call it Pulse Surge and mine is awful and can't be fixed. I have been trying to get rid of it since I have had it and land rover sent a engineeer down to check it but they say I am stuck with it.
Post #5030 26th Nov 2008 6:39pm
mse

Yeah but you will have talked to the regional tech engineer (also known as idiot).

I think there is a difference, but mines not bad pick up is only a few hundred rpm constant - whats it doing on yours, it makes the speed less than 5mph on mine Mike
Post #5031 26th Nov 2008 6:46pm
red Defender

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
With the Idle speed being ramped up to 1100rpm in low box 1st and reverse the climb and descent speed is set. The only way to reduce the speed, and maintain control, is to use good clutch brake control. Not something you would want to do without practice, but well worth the practice to master the technique.

I believe part of the reason for the idle ramp was that the forward speed down hill was too slow without it, which could in itself induce sliding on very steep hills, and thus loss of control. Whats broken now ?
Post #5035 26th Nov 2008 7:17pm
felos

Greece 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Epsom Green
red Defender wrote:
With the Idle speed being ramped up to 1100rpm in low box 1st and reverse the climb and descent speed is set. The only way to reduce the speed, and maintain control, is to use good clutch brake control. Not something you would want to do without practice, but well worth the practice to master the technique.

I believe part of the reason for the idle ramp was that the forward speed down hill was too slow without it, which could in itself induce sliding on very steep hills, and thus loss of control.

No control loss with my previous one-ten or TD5 and too dificult to achieve clutch brake control in a slipery descend full of boulders and sometimes turns....dont forget too many mountains in Greece.
Anyway for me they should have a switch to activate it at will. NOT A TRANSIT
Post #5036 26th Nov 2008 7:28pm
red Defender

Idle ramp is activated from the transfer box. There is a plug somewhere on the top of the box, if it is disconnected the idle speed will stay at 800rpm. Mine was left off after the new transfer box was fitted, there didnt seem to be any other side effects. Whats broken now ?
Post #5037 26th Nov 2008 7:33pm
mse

Now you see thats very interesting - i didnt say earlier, but mine only picks up a 100rpm from idle, doesnt go above 1000 for sure! Mike
Post #5051 26th Nov 2008 9:31pm
red Defender

As I mentioned, idle ramp works on low range 1st and reverse and should take tick over from 800 to 1100 rpm. If yours ramps by only 100 rpm, it would seem that the ouput from the transfer box is there but the ECU isnt providing the right outputs.

As for switching it, if the output was found from the transfer box, a switch in the line may do the job ? Whats broken now ?
Post #5053 26th Nov 2008 9:38pm
mse

I know my antistall works (it has been used Cool ), but it doesnt ramp it up that much and shouldnt im lead to believe. Anyone with an 08 one confirm this.

I will check with my uncle when i see him in a few weeks (he works in R&D Wink ) but im sure when we were off roading one at gaydon it didnt ramp it up that much.

Oh and everything is connected and working Mike
Post #5054 26th Nov 2008 9:44pm
red Defender

Anti stall and idle ramp are seperate issues. Anti stall does as it says, and work in high and low box. Idle ramp only works in low 1st and reverse and increases tick over. The numbers given are from LR and are used by all the LRE centres. Bow down Whats broken now ?
Post #5055 26th Nov 2008 9:51pm
mse

red Defender wrote:
Anti stall and idle ramp are seperate issues. Anti stall does as it says, and work in high and low box. Idle ramp only works in low 1st and reverse and increases tick over. The numbers given are from LR and are used by all the LRE centres. Bow down

Ill check that as im not sure thats true - i may see Rod my mate at LRE before my uncle and ask Mike
Post #5056 26th Nov 2008 9:55pm
red Defender

which bits? Whats broken now ?
Post #5057 26th Nov 2008 9:58pm
Tim_NZ

Australia 
I found the antistall a bit unsettling when I first drove down some very steep and rocky tracks. I've since learned to try and keep a little bit of throttle on, this stops the "surging" almost completly on my 110. As said before on this thread the antistall is great for heading up hills, expecially up rocky terrain.

Tim
Post #5061 27th Nov 2008 12:20am
Bosun

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Interesting discussion guys. It would be nice to get a definitive answer from LR as to how it works (or is supposed to work). It appears it could catch people out with potentially nasty results. I tried the local dealer, but might just as well have asked the checkout girl in Tesco.
Post #5062 27th Nov 2008 8:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>