↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A Bar Rules
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
JPE

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
A Bar Rules
I'm thinking of putting an A bar on my puma. I like this Masai one - https://www.masai4x4.com/defender/side-ste...-p15135760

What are the rules on A bars? ok for use on public highways?
Post #753245 23rd Jan 2019 12:23am
leeds

United Kingdom 
If you read the Masai description it states for off road use only.

The rules are about frontal protection system.

Now my understanding is that a winch mounting system is perfectly legal if a winch is fitted. No winch fitted then it could be considered to be a frontal protection system.

Basically aimed at pedestrian safety, but the standard Defender front bumper will knee cap most people. The bonnet height is above most people’s centre of gravity so a pedestrian hit by a Defender is likely to go under the Defender rather then being thrown onto the bonnet.

Brendan
Post #753254 23rd Jan 2019 1:38am
donmacn

well, that's probably something else I didn't know.......

I've had an A bar like that - identical as far as I can see - on my car for something approaching 15 years. While one Police officer did once do a "walk around" - as the other chatted to my wife about aggressive driving (! Whistle Embarassed ) there was no mention of the A bar.

I guess there are countless ones of these on the road up and down the country. But just because lots of folk are doing it doesn't necessarily make it right. I would be happy to see a link to any relevant legislation. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #753280 23rd Jan 2019 9:18am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Seems pretty clear from reading the Masai webpage that it is for off road use only and should be removed when on the highway. (Unless your the Duke of Edinburgh of course and then you can ignore it Rolling with laughter ). Rolling with laughter Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #753287 23rd Jan 2019 9:56am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Bullbars/a bars of metal construction should not be used on road unless it is integrated into a bumper or winch setup or manufactiured before a certain date.

I believe on the continent they’re entirely prohibited.

The genuine LR soft bar is legal though as it’s not of metal construction I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #753298 23rd Jan 2019 10:45am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Taken from the Department for Transport Information Sheet:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/g...l-bars.pdf

Quote:
It is not illegal for vehicles to be fitted with bull bars, although the Department would not recommend their fitment unless it has been shown, through compliance with specified safety standards, that they do not pose an additional risk of injury to pedestrians or other vulnerable road users.
There are no plans for legislation to require bull bars that are already fitted to be removed. However, since 25 May 2007, it has been an offence for bull bars that have not been approved as compliant with those safety standards to be sold. Approved devices will carry an indelible ‘e’ mark (example below).

e1 01 1471

Whilst it doesn't specifically mention A bars, I suspect it applies to them equally. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #753305 23rd Jan 2019 10:51am
donmacn

^^^^^^^ Thumbs Up

You just beat me to it... I was about to quote that very same text. I thought I'd just check for myself.

I know for a fact that my A bar has been on my car since about 2001, so it predates this 2007 statement, and must therefore be OK. It's certainly been through many an MOT since then - though the test might not be picking up on that? Donald

(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #753310 23rd Jan 2019 11:07am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Is your insurer aware that it is fitted? Most insurers get quite disturbed by the presence of anything resembling an front bar.
Post #753311 23rd Jan 2019 11:10am
donmacn

I think so - I certainly used to have it on the list of stuff I would send any new insurer. I guess I should check again.

I only fitted the thing because I was regularly towing a boat in the NW highlands on dark winter nights..... My logic was, and actually still is, that if I hit a stag, I might lose a wing, or a headlight, but there's a better chance of the radiator remaining intact and therefore my getting to somewhere I could sort myself out. If it's a late-Sunday in January, on the road between Inchnadamph and Scourie, snowing and blowing a gale etc etc, it's not a great place to be stuck, and the 'AA man' is likely to be some distance away. And the fact is that it's in those conditions you're much more likely to see deer down by the road, and not see them in advance.

If the Government was to require private landowners to erect deer fencing.... then maybe no requirement...? But that's not going to happen any time soon.

I guess it strikes me as another example of 'poor' legislation - aimed at the majority of population, and not considering all of the requirements of others. That's what I mean by 'poor' legislation. Not that pedestrian safety isn't important, but not everyone drives in the inner city.

Allowing for that though, and assuming I was to remove it, where do you fit auxiliary lighting? Direct to the bumper? Would a bar specifically-designed for light attachment not 'resemble' an A bar?

No 'heat' in this - in case it gets misinterpreted - just what I think are some relevant questions. Donald

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #753315 23rd Jan 2019 11:22am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Just to add to this discussion.

I have a soft Land Rover A bar fitted, the top brackets are pliable or easy to bend, they were looking a bit rough so I obtained from a certain company ( I am not naming them as they are well known) replacement top brackets. When they arrived I found that they were made from sheet steel approximately 3/16" thick and difficult to bend.

As the Land Rover brackets are part of the approval I contacted the local Police Traffic office, the Sgt I spoke to had some knowledge of the regulations and was more than helpful and got back to me a couple of days later with an update.

Although there is no stated case or definition, Police speak for what is and isn't legal if not defined under the regulations, he and the CPS think that fitting the replacement brackets make the fitting of A bar illegal as it had been altered from the approved type approval but it would need a court case to prove this. He did not recommend the fitting of the brackets as I could end up in a court case.

I rang the company and informed them of my findings , they thanked me for the information but would continue to sell them as it had not been made illegal to fit them. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #753340 23rd Jan 2019 1:20pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
As far as I am aware A bars are legal providing they have a purpose, an example would be if you have an A fitted that has lights attached. I have A bars on both mine with spots fitted and they pass MOT's without a problem. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #753401 23rd Jan 2019 5:16pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Whilst what you say is probably true, don't rely on the MOT to prove it. Like many things, the MOT isn't designed to check the legality of this sort of thing. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #753432 23rd Jan 2019 7:27pm
JPE

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Thanks for the answers. Is it really the case that if I put lights on an A bar it will be legal?
Post #753449 23rd Jan 2019 8:32pm
donmacn

If it were me, then I guess I'd try and find an e-marked one, as well as putting lights on.

But that doesn't constitute legal advice! Donald

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #753454 23rd Jan 2019 8:43pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
I have a low A bar on mine, which was custom made to suit the D44 bumper. MOT fine (i know not a legal thing bla bla) also had a few chats with police who admired my 110, none of them gave any mind.

I do however have lights on it and it is fitted to a winch bumper (no winch just yet) Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #753461 23rd Jan 2019 9:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>