↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Additional Rear Fog and Reversing Light
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Sammyboy

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Sumatra Black
Additional Rear Fog and Reversing Light
I am considering fitting an additional Rear fog light and Reversing light to my 2012 110 USW XS 2.2 to improve the current 'one of each' set-up. They will match the current LED lights so that there is a pair of each. I would be interested in opinions as to whether the additional lights will put off potential buyers (should I ever sell it!!) as it would not be original stock. Bow down Discovery 4 HSE
Defender 2.2 110 USW XS
Ford Kuga AWD
Discovery 3
Range Rover P38
Discovery - 300 TDI
Discovery - 200TDI
Post #751200 14th Jan 2019 3:39pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
It's a very subjective thing (as is any modification that can't be easily reversed, really). Personally, it would put me off a bit but whether that would be enough to stop me buying would depend on other factors. Others are just as likely to either love it or not give it a second thought. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #751201 14th Jan 2019 3:45pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Your choices are additional lights which will require additional holes in your bodywork.

Option reverse lights and fog lights need to be approved under UNECE regulations and carry the correct markings. Light function code for reverse light is AR and for a rear fog F or B. Soapbox away Razz

If you want additional lights and keep the ability to convert back to standard then go for some combination LED reverse and rear fog light in a 95mm size. Need to extend wiring loom at the back. Can not remember if connectors are super seal or eco seals but you can make your own plug in loom extension so you do not have to splice into existing loom.

Put original lights in a clearly marked box on the top shelf for when you want to convert back to original set up

Brendan
Post #751220 14th Jan 2019 5:15pm
hornet

Re: Additional Rear Fog and Reversing Light
Sammyboy wrote:
I am considering fitting an additional Rear fog light and Reversing light to my 2012 110 USW XS 2.2 to improve the current 'one of each' set-up.

Because I often have to drive back at night in the woods, I replaced the existing light with the Hella Flat Beam 500 as reversing light. The difference is enormous. I made an adapter that fits into the original housing and offers the possibility of mounting the Hella. I am very satisfied. If pictures are desired I can make some. Since I hardly ever use the rear fog light, I can contribute nothing to it.
Post #751381 15th Jan 2019 10:05am
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
I've always been unimpressed with the reverse lights on the defenders so have fitted an LED work light to the roof rack , wired through the cab to the cubby box with a nice carling switch mounted on it. I figured I could replace the cubby fairly cheaply if I ever want to make it stock again and it works a treat for those times you'd like more light to reverse by !

Not sure about the fog light, is it even legal to have two ?
Post #751382 15th Jan 2019 10:12am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Bluericky wrote:

Yes, provided that they are a matched pair (i.e., identical lights mounted symmetrically about the centreline) and conform to the position requirements stipulated by the lighting regs.

Before the fun police jump in, you should inform your insurance company since the vehicle was type approved with a single idiot light - sorry, rear fog light - and it is a modification!
Post #751385 15th Jan 2019 10:29am
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Re: Additional Rear Fog and Reversing Light
hornet wrote:
Sammyboy wrote:
I am considering fitting an additional Rear fog light and Reversing light to my 2012 110 USW XS 2.2 to improve the current 'one of each' set-up.

Because I often have to drive back at night in the woods, I replaced the existing light with the Hella Flat Beam 500 as reversing light. The difference is enormous. I made an adapter that fits into the original housing and offers the possibility of mounting the Hella. I am very satisfied. If pictures are desired I can make some. Since I hardly ever use the rear fog light, I can contribute nothing to it.

Hornet, I’m very interested in seeing photos/details of your reverse light mount solution please.
Post #751395 15th Jan 2019 11:00am
hornet

Mounted for two years, no problem with humidity or car wash. Very good quality.

Click image to enlarge
Post #751401 15th Jan 2019 11:29am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I am guessing from the fact that that light is mounted on the offside of the vehicle that you are not in the UK?

In the UK that probably should be an MOT failure (ignoring the wrong side issue) since it is (probably) not compliant as a reversing light, however that doesn't mean that it necessarily would fail, it depends on the tester.
Post #751405 15th Jan 2019 11:36am
hornet

Right, not UK. We have a number of technical inspection bodies that inspect the vehicle in this regard. At first I was worried about the slightly less visible turn signal from the left, but everything went without a hitch.
But, and I agree with you, it also depends on the person Smile
Post #751417 15th Jan 2019 12:44pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Bluericky wrote:
I've always been unimpressed with the reverse lights on the defenders so have fitted an LED work light to the roof rack , wired through the cab to the cubby box with a nice carling switch mounted on it. I figured I could replace the cubby fairly cheaply if I ever want to make it stock again and it works a treat for those times you'd like more light to reverse by !

/\ my preferred option too. on the to do list.
Post #751426 15th Jan 2019 1:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1