Home > Puma (Tdci) > BlueSea Heavy Duty ON/OFF battery switch with AFD
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Simon.pl

Poland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
BlueSea Heavy Duty ON/OFF battery switch with AFD
Hello,

Bought the kill switch for the front winch as in the topic (PN3001)
It is written in the installation manual:
"AFD: Cut the field wire from the alternator to the voltage regulator, connect one end to F1 and the other end to F2"

AFAIK - there is regulator build in the alternator of the PUMA Defender. Is there any connection that can be broken inside between the regulator and alternator, or there is no way to do it properly?

Thanks
Thumbs Up
Post #642235 6th Aug 2017 3:18pm
Simon.pl

Ok - as the investigation continues I wanted to ask how do you guys protect your alternator's diodes (or think you will protect) in case of emergency shut off using the kill switch?
I'm talking about the situation when for instance under heavy load the winch solenoid fries that makes permanent contact inside and you are not able to stop the winch. The only way is to cut the power off, but that would kill the alternator hence the need for AFD.
In case there is voltage regulator build in is turning the engine off before cutting the power off the only solution that could save the alternator?
Post #642628 8th Aug 2017 8:15pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
The usual way is a high power, low resistance resistor that you connect between the ignition live and earth when the switch is activated. For the few seconds that the engine is still turning it keeps the alternator honest by giving it a load. It also protects the various electronic parts of the vehicle from experiencing high voltage spikes during this time.

The normal FIA switches are supplied with such a resistor.

An alternative to the above is to run the alternator output directly to the battery so that it is still connected to the batter when you disconnect everything else. It does leave you open to issues if you get a problem with the alternator cable though ! http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #642634 8th Aug 2017 8:31pm
Simon.pl

This was my original idea. Even bought such FIA switch. Than moved to the "nicer" solution that BlueSea delivers, but had not done my homework before and just after buying the switch found out that the alternator had the VR build in.
Will see if I'd be able to use the resistor with this switch. Thanks
Thumbs Up
Post #642641 8th Aug 2017 8:53pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
In "standard" LR I have additional high current switch just for the winch. With remote control from the drivers place. It is also good to disconnect the power from the winch, when the winch is not in use. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #642684 9th Aug 2017 7:10am
Simon.pl

I also plan to have on/off switch in the cabin. Please have a look on the attached piece of my electric drawing. But in fact the switch will control the current on the cable remote socket so it is "dead" until activated inside. This will not eliminate the problem when the relay fries as the high current is constantly present on the relay.

Click image to enlarge
Post #642728 9th Aug 2017 11:13am
MadTom

The high current switch/relay/solenoid is there primary for disconnect the high power wire from winch. In case of a crash, there is lower risk of short circuit and possible fire.
When the winch is in use, it is controlled by its own solenoids, and in case of stuck solenoid = winch is running out of control, I can kill it by the high current switch.
The high power switch is just next to the battery, so it is in good protected place.
I´m using some DC contactor originally designed for use in a tank T72, with pure silver contact with 11mm diameter. It is rated for continuous current of 200A without time limit. Much more rugged, than standard winch solenoids.
To control it, I have a small switch on board, with red LED indicator.
And last but not least - I have seen several winches damaged by water - they have suffered from electrolytic corrosion, because of DC voltage continuously presented on the winch/solenoids. This is also eliminated by the additional switch. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #642734 9th Aug 2017 11:48am
Simon.pl

Isn't the relay (with solenoids inside) responsible for delivering the high power to the winch?
It just feeds field contactors when the remote gives power on low current pins and only in such situation the high power is on the winch.. But there is on the solenoids indeed.
I don't want to multiply switches. I just want to have one for the front winch that cuts the alternator as well, and the other one for the rear winch (as it will be fed from different battery). Maybe simple warning next to the switch like "turn the engine off before use" should be enough Thumbs Up
Post #642878 9th Aug 2017 11:58pm
MadTom

In my setup I have battery - high power relay/contactor - winch solenoids - winch. Alternator is directly connected to the battery.
High power relay is there for cutting power to the winch, when not in use, and as s security switch for case of jammed winch solenoid. It is placed just next to the battery.
Resistance of the high power relay is comparable to good 500A fuse with fuse holder. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #642894 10th Aug 2017 7:24am
TopQ1967

Netherlands 2012 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Buckingham Blue
Simon.pl wrote:
I also plan to have on/off switch in the cabin. Please have a look on the attached piece of my electric drawing. But in fact the switch will control the current on the cable remote socket so it is "dead" until activated inside. This will not eliminate the problem when the relay fries as the high current is constantly present on the relay.

Click image to enlarge

Hi,

Your electric drawing looks nice. I am very interrested in the whole thing? Smile
Post #644920 18th Aug 2017 8:04pm
Simon.pl

Thanks TopQ1967

It's still not ready - there are some relays missing here and there, wires are not numbered, and some other details missing, but if you are interested at this stage - here it is! Cool

I have my build thread here as well although it hasn't been updated for a while, so this drawing is not there yet.
Will work on it when I find time Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
Post #645065 19th Aug 2017 5:17pm
MadTom

What software do you use for drawing this schematics? It looks like simple to understand also for non-electricians. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #645069 19th Aug 2017 5:32pm
Simon.pl

Yeah - combining block and detailed diagrams makes the drawing easier to read.
I use VISIO to draw - just import thumbnails and connect it with wires.
Post #645070 19th Aug 2017 5:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1