↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > DCPU-SW Conversion & Drive Upgrades
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Defender#1

Malaysia 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Blenheim Silver
DCPU-SW Conversion & Drive Upgrades
Good day to all fellow Defender enthusiasts.

I'm a relatively new owner (as well as new member to this forum) of a 2015 diesel 2.2 double cab pick-up. Got it new from the dealer 3 yrs ago and had it stock to date with only 18" wheels, Momo and steering guard on. Clocked 29,000km so far on it. 100% on road with no plans for any offroading. Although i had much opposition from friends and family prior to buying i went for it anyway and loved it til today. Same as many of you, i want to improve the suspension n drive of the DCPU.

Situation is that I would like to convert from DCPU to SW eventually, but that's quite a big cost (RM50k) so i was thinking of doing the suspension upgrades first which is a cheaper plug and play mod. As i've been drvg it stock for 3yrs now and needing chiro adjustments quite frequently Very Happy

Question is, will the SW conversion (weight n configuration) screw up the suspension upgrades done on the DCPU and should i convert first and then upgrade the other stuff or will the conversion have negligible effects on the suspension upgrades...

To lower the SW conversion cost, i was planning on just installing the side panels, back door and 110 SW roof without changing out the tub. I mainly use only the 5 seats and cargo space for bags/bicycles/dog/small furniture and bike/car parts for now. Although i would really love to do a full on SW conversion with the additional 2 x front facing seats at the 3rd row, the cost is just too high for me. So effectively it wud be a conversion into a USW with window panels instead of aluminum panels.

Suspension upgrades from what i've gathered here will probably be Alive springs with B6 Bilstein shocks and front+rear ARB. Not sure abt the super pro bush kit (poly/rubber) and spring isolators. I'm also not sure abt the two difference types of B6 and which brand ARB to go with.

Power upgrades, i'm planning on the BAS 170 only without any other parts replacement aside from silicone intercooler hoses. I'm quite a slow driver so i think aside from occasional overtaking i'm pretty sure i wont blow any of the stocks support parts out with the 170 BAS remap.

The standard ride for me is quite stiff and i'm looking at more comfort and well as better handling on road 100%.
I've already changed to kings springs which is ONLY SLIGHTLY better than standard. No idea the rating of it though but i was told it was suppose to be for a SW.

Would appreciate any input from the anyone with experience in these mods or any other idea and suggestions from all.

Thanks guys, and happy land rovering... Dave
Post #735436 18th Oct 2018 2:24am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Firstly welcome to the forum Thumbs Up A wealth of knowledge will be along shortly I'm sure.

If you don't get what you want from here, I would recommend speaking to Ian Baughan at IRB Developments or Alive for advice on suspension set ups.

Photos please. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #735480 18th Oct 2018 8:51am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Welcome Dave. Your questions are the same as those of many others.

With regard to suspension, if you're looking to lower and create a fast-road (ha ha) set-up, then general consensus, albeit not 100%, is that the B6 is the go-to damper. There are many springs out there, Alive's have been made by Eibach who are obviously the market leader. So, the set-up available through Alive (B6, Eibach spring, Eibach ARB, Bilstein Steering Damper etc) is a great start and there's is by far the cheapest.

Bushes are a 50/50 split, but more and more recommend the OE Rubber rather than Poly. Mainly it seems to do with Poly shelf-life and how quickly (suddenly) they degrade. Spacers are recommended by some to take the 'jar' out of stiffer bushes.

Further suspension/driving suggestions include Sumo bars to sharpen the steering and fixed output shafts to take out the slack.

With regard to the BAS Remap, the recommendation is absolutely NOT to remap to 170bhp without doing the intercooler at the very least. That's direct from Pete at BAS. Get the remote version and you can do the 150bhp to begin with and when time/cash allows you to tackle the intercooler etc, you can swap to 170. But how you drive does not impact how hot it gets. What's more, you live in a hot country!!

Hope that all helps? Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #735504 18th Oct 2018 11:04am
Defender#1

Thanks for the warm welcome James and Grenadier, and also the first wave of inputs. Thumbs Up

I have seen the sumo bars on here somewhere while reading up but assumed that it was a brand of ARB.
As for the output shaft i haven't got a clue before this. But now that i know, i'll find out more abt those two additional suggestions for improved drive. Any recommended place to get the Sumo bars and output shaft fix. i'll probably order them as well if it's not too expensive.

I've uploaded some pics of my precious hope you guys can see it.

Noted on the 170 remap Grenadier. I guess 150 will have to do for now... Big Cry

Appreciate the feedback guys... Have a great day... I'm very excited and can't wait to get home in a month and order all the parts. Very Happy Dave
Post #735560 18th Oct 2018 6:14pm
Defender#1

Sorry lemme try again on the pictures...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Dave
Post #735564 18th Oct 2018 6:17pm
JOW240725

I think it looks great! Unusual wheels, not ones I recognise?

The sumo bars are steering arms from Gwyn Lewis, a little light reading... https://gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/sumobars/

I still have this on my list to do, but keep getting side tracked. I ought to read that link too, as I'm not sure if the conversion involves the Discovery 2 drop arm, which is also popular for improved steering.

Look up John Fair Defender tread, one of my fav road biased threads. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Post #735664 19th Oct 2018 8:16am
JOW240725

Sorry link to John Fair thread, you might find interesting http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46611.html James
Post #735665 19th Oct 2018 8:18am
Grenadier

Good read JOW, not sure why I've never come across it before. You're obviously a big fan (stalker Whistle ) Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #735735 19th Oct 2018 5:41pm
Grenadier

Defender#1 wrote:
Thanks for the warm welcome James and Grenadier, and also the first wave of inputs. Thumbs Up

I have seen the sumo bars on here somewhere while reading up but assumed that it was a brand of ARB.
As for the output shaft i haven't got a clue before this. But now that i know, i'll find out more abt those two additional suggestions for improved drive. Any recommended place to get the Sumo bars and output shaft fix. i'll probably order them as well if it's not too expensive.

I've uploaded some pics of my precious hope you guys can see it.

Noted on the 170 remap Grenadier. I guess 150 will have to do for now... Big Cry

Appreciate the feedback guys... Have a great day... I'm very excited and can't wait to get home in a month and order all the parts. Very Happy

Pleasure. Good to see another DCPU owned by another Dave!! Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #735736 19th Oct 2018 5:42pm
Defender#1

Hello der guys,
The wheels are "Mayhem"... LINK= https://www.mayhemwheels.com/wheels/
I'm not sure abt the reputation but that was the only 18" i could find at the time when i got the DCPU... it was a dark time for changing out wheels on a defender in 2015 Laughing (unless ur looking for off-road wheels which i wasn't)
Nowadays there are more options over here as more shops are importing from the UK to cater for the urban styling... but it's super expensive and our currency is quite weak Big Cry
i got a set of 5 (excluding tires) for RM4500 = approx. 800 pounds for the ones i have now.
But the problem is the wheel nuts are quite substandard and the thread can be easily damaged if over tightened.

Thanks for the thread (road bias) and sumo bars will definitely have a read once i'm done with work today.

Spoke to pete yesterday on the web chat, got the remap plan more or less in place... but i will probably order it at one go along with the suspension upgrades.

I'm tempted to go for the short shift kit as well but my reverse gear is hard enuf as it is now to engage and i've read that it becomes heavier... so am still 50/50. Any recommended brands if i were to go for the a short shift kit...?

Click image to enlarge
 Dave
Post #735753 19th Oct 2018 7:32pm
Defender#1

Hey James,

I had a look at John Fair's thread... ouh my... lovely vehicle... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Wish i had the spare cash to do all that. Some of it like the axle thingy he did seems quite hard core...

I've spoken to the local garage on the conversion on my DCPU into a station wagon, asked him if it was possible to retain the tub of the DCPU and just add the rear side panels, rear door and a 110 roof panel. I wont be needing the back seats anyway and also the bulkhead behind the second row seats will be retained that way... but i'm fine with it as most suggestions on here lean towards a separation between cabin and load space at the back as a pro instead of a con...

He hasn't come back to me yet Confused Confused Confused

It should be a lot cheaper then a full on conversion. Cool Cool Cool
and hopefully he is willing to do it for me... Dave
Post #736102 22nd Oct 2018 1:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1