↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Front Bumper Bolt has snapped - how to resolve?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
hafman

United Kingdom 
Front Bumper Bolt has snapped - how to resolve?
Whilst removing the front bumper so that I can fit a winch mount bumper I have snapped off one of the four bolts that attach it to the chassis rails. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

It is snapped with about 3-4cm still attached to the captive nut assembly at the lower end. For the life of me I can't work out how I am going to get it out / remove the bumper, as the remaining "stud" goes up inside the vertical "tube" within the chassis rail, preventing bumper removal.

Any suggestions? I'd really rather not remove the wing etc and cut the rail away, as this was supposed to be a quick and easy job ...

TIA

Julian
1999 Td5 90
Post #734970 16th Oct 2018 9:31am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
You could perhaps cut the lower mounting off the old bumper, which would then (probably) allow enough access to cut the broken bolt off the captive nut plate.

I can't remember without looking whether there's enough access from underneath to cut the nut plate with a cold chisel, or drill and split the captive nut, or drill the bottom of the bolt out of the nut plate, with the bumper in place.

Removing the wing won't help much, and you certainly don't want to start cutting the chassis rail.
Post #734972 16th Oct 2018 9:41am
hafman

United Kingdom 
Thanks blackwolf; here are a couple of photos of the "good" side (please ignore the rust!); they show how it will be very difficult to cut off the lower horizontal tab that is attached to the bumper as it sits on top of part of the rail. And the internal "tubes" are also going to be very difficult to get to. Embarassed

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #734974 16th Oct 2018 9:49am
blackwolf

It really wouldn't take long to cut the bumper off, but you'd not be using it (the original bumper) again afterwards! An angle grinder with a thin (1mm or so) disc and that would be off in under 5 minutes.

With the bumper out of the way your prospects improve since you could probably get a hacksaw blade between the nut plate and the chassis and cut the nut plate off the broken bolt, then retrieve the bolt from above.
Post #734982 16th Oct 2018 10:17am
hafman

United Kingdom 
blackwolf - you are my hero du jour! I had become so myopic focusing on how to save the (easily replaceable and comparatively cheap) bumper that was considering cutting & welding the chassis rail. Madness!

It took me all of 10 minutes to cut the bumper up in to suitably small pieces and then remove the captured nuts. Now need to paint on some red oxide or similar, and then fit the new bumper.

Many thanks!!! Thumbs Up
Post #734997 16th Oct 2018 11:19am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Glad it's sorted. You might want to run a drain cleaner hose on a pressure washer through the chassis rails too! Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #735012 16th Oct 2018 12:29pm
blackwolf

Glad to have been of help! Thumbs Up

I know it is only too easy to become so focused on one thing that the bigger picture is overlooked.
Post #735016 16th Oct 2018 12:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1