↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Ifor Williams tyres and LED lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Ifor Williams tyres and LED lights
I’ve bought a 16ft flatbed Ifor Williams and I’m going to treat it to some tyres. I don’t like the Avon’s and I know there’s plenty of owners on here, what do you guys recommend? 12” or 13” rims?

Also thinking of converting it to LED lights, any recommendations?

Thanks

Last edited by NickMc on 15th Oct 2018 6:15pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #734867 15th Oct 2018 5:06pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
See what tyre profiles you can get most of, When I had the metro gta, I had to change the profile tyre to something else due to the tyre profile been no longer produced. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #734876 15th Oct 2018 6:07pm
Romadog

Regarding LEDs I wouldn't bother as they fail quicker than decent lamp units with bulbs and are more expensive in the first place.
Post #734890 15th Oct 2018 7:05pm
NickMc

I’m not so sure have you looked at the price of. Rubboliite lens for one now Shocked
Post #734896 15th Oct 2018 7:20pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Not sure if there is sufficient load with LEDs to operate the indicator warning lamp on the dash?

Cheers Keith
Post #734904 15th Oct 2018 7:37pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
You will need quite £££ let's units if you want them to last.

Go on western towing or trailer tek or similar and see what rims/tyres are popular. Compass tyres always worked well for me. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #734917 15th Oct 2018 8:21pm
Romadog

Yeah but rubbolites are needed to dampen all the rattling and vibrations that the Ifors create Whistle Thumbs Up

Last edited by Romadog on 16th Oct 2018 7:16am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #734944 15th Oct 2018 9:44pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I got my Ifor for particularly good money... but requiring attention! It had no floor, no brakes, no factory lights, just a light board.

18 months ago I did a complete rewire using LED lamps. I chose lamps based more on dimensions/shape to fit within the factory recessed locations - they were just cheap ebay units.

Can't comment on longevity beyond 18 months but currently they're still working well and that's after a particularly bad Welsh winter!

With regard to the Defender indicator warning lamp; my Defender has LED lamps fitted with the adjustable relay so provided the relay is adjusted properly the warning indicator still works

Will be interested to see comments on tyres. I currently have 13" fitted but am also considering changing.

Click image to enlarge
Post #734953 16th Oct 2018 5:01am
NickMc

Thanks for the feedback Hank.

Yeah I bought one that needs a bit of a tidy up too, and I’m weighing up the cost of the rubbolites that need replacement vs the LED and there’s not much in it. I think the best add on for them is the rubber stick out side markers.

I’m tempted to try the Maxxis Trailer tyres, they seem to get decent reviews and sticking to the 12” tyres. I’ve run Maxxis on a few cars and they’re a good quality afordable tyre.

Some people knock the Ifors, but I don’t think much of the Indespension or Brian James axles especially on the car transporters. I used to have a CT177 and that was a beauty, got rid of it though as everyone else seemed to be using it more than me and everytime it came back with a new broken bit or scrape- went to use it one day and had two broken lights, a flat tyre and the winch broken and that was the end of that! Mad

The Ifors just seem to hold their value so well too, there’s some abused lemons out their for silly money though.
Post #734967 16th Oct 2018 7:56am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Mine had rubber side markers (incandescent) fitted but they were tired so I replaced them with ebay LED equivalents with the same hole centres so were a straight swap.

Will look in to the maxxis tyres thanks. I've seen some trailers fitted with chunky tyres but that might be a bit much for my use. I would like to raise the hitch slightly so larger wheel/tyre profile would help out here.

There are always those who love to talk things down but lets be fair IW are the highest regarded manufacturer and for good reason. Shame this makes them high risk theft targets!

I can't say I have much experience with BW or Indy. I did borrow a BW car transporter years ago, seemed ok. I feel your pain on the lending out - the number of friends that have come out of the woodwork needing this or that shifting etc is significant!

I love a good trailer, be sure to report back how you get on!
Post #734983 16th Oct 2018 9:29am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
I have 12" maxxis on mine Thumbs Up I don,t bother with LEDs due to there location and trailer usage. I also find having a dull older trailer attracts an awful lot less attention. Whistle I also use a Strongehold hitch lock. It can also be used when attached to the vehicle . More expensive than some , but works Thumbs Up

/www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STRONGHOLD-Hitch-Lock-for-Knott-Avonride-couplings-IFOR-WILLIAMS-TRAILERS/161809820938?epid=1739891267&hash=item25ac9ded0a:g:hbgAAOSwd0BV4hw3:rk:28:pf:0
Post #735005 16th Oct 2018 10:40am
AJC

United Kingdom 
The LED lights on my trailer were £22 a pair off ebay some 4 years ago, still perfect now and it lives outside all year.
Post #735008 16th Oct 2018 10:51am
NickMc

That hitch lock looks good value.

Yeah when you add up the three lights I need to replace and one bulb holder as rubbolites it’s already around £50 which made me think a bit what have i got to lose on some cheap eBay LEDs, apart from my sanity Laughing
Post #735085 16th Oct 2018 5:03pm
Romadog

I found that the LEDs in each light started to fail reducing the amount of light showing.....meaning complete replacement.....found it easier to replace a bulb.
I always fit the bulbs with copper slip on metal surfaces and also make sure holder is tight on bulb.....gentle squeeze with pliers. Thumbs Up
Post #735093 16th Oct 2018 5:44pm
NickMc

dielectric grease is a better choice than neversneeze on electrics Thumbs Up

Local Ifor dealer has said he’s sold a ton of Ling long ( Laughing ) tyres for years and not had any problems? Doing a really good deal with new rims. I have heard of them on car tyres and know they’re a massive Chinese manufacturer.
Post #735109 16th Oct 2018 6:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>