↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Speed bumps give me the right hump
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Speed bumps give me the right hump
My local council in its wisdom has increased the hight of several speed humps in my locale, some are now mirroring the height of the local mountains. Laughing

Now I fully appreciate the original rationale behind putting these miniature pyramids on urban roads; it was to ‘calm’ traffic, with the aim of reducing accidents and even saving lives. It was well-meaning, right.

Well obviously, I am no expert on the subject, but I question whether they achieve their goal to any significant extent, and I reckon that they may actually be more trouble than they’re worth. As far as I can see, self-styled ‘real’ drivers of the ‘boy racer’ (and increasingly ‘girl racer’) persuasion see them as a challenge rather than a deterrent and hurtle across them as though they are on safari. On the other hand, your thoughtful, more responsible driver is mindful of the speed limit anyway, and if anything s/he probably finds the presence of these hulking obstructions every few yards to be a source of irritation and frustration, which might, in turn, lead to loss of concentration or even ‘road rage’.

I’d also bet that humps are a factor in channelling traffic away from roads where they’re present onto those where they aren’t, just moving the speed management issue elsewhere, and increasing congestion in the process. It is my view then that these lumps might not just be ineffective, but actually counter-productive.

In any case, any rational argument for speed bumps ultimately carries little weight with me. No, I readily admit that my loathing may seem irrational; I just hate the personal discomfort that these humps cause me. My Defender is a sturdy car, but let us face it, it is no BMW, and the suspension leaves, shall we say, something to be desired. Driving around my local streets is like negotiating an obstacle course, and being constantly bumped up and down plays havoc with my aching back and joints (god knows what it does to the car). I can absolutely guarantee that I will be in a lot worse mood when I get out than when I got in, and I will bet I am not the only one.

If it were down to me, every one of these humps would be ripped out tomorrow and consigned to the nearest landfill. Well, all bar one. This would be inserted up the backside of whoever came up with the idea in the first place, sideways. Shocked For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #734851 15th Oct 2018 4:40pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello gilarion

If I was Minister of Transport...I'd do exactly what you suggest (well almost)
I'd rip them all up and use them to fill in all the Pot Holes Thumbs Up SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #734863 15th Oct 2018 5:52pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
If people didn't speed we wouldn't need them.
Post #734865 15th Oct 2018 6:03pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
if you hit them at 60 you don't feel them!!

just joking I agree complete waste of time and bad for the environment, would rather have speed cameras DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #734874 15th Oct 2018 7:00pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
A town near where I live, The council decided to put speed humps on their main coast road, It took them nearly 2 years for the council to change their mind and remove them! Before that they had passing points. Which was a little hell raising at the best of times. Since they reverted it back to a proper road, things are a lot better, But they have a small section with them still.
What my area is doing is, lowering speed limits around school areas and most estates to 20 mph now. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #734875 15th Oct 2018 7:05pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
A bit off topic, but the most effective traffic calming measure I’ve seen is that employed in Portugal. Like a lot of rural places, they have trouble with drivers flying along the fast country roads but not slowing as they go through the villages. The solution is to connect a set of lights in the middle of the village to a speed detector at the edge of town. If you enter the speed limit too fast, the light turns to red and makes you stop and wait. If you stick to the limit, the lights stay green and you sail through unimpeded. Seemed to be very effective. No bumps, no fines, just appealing to people’s desire to not stop. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #734879 15th Oct 2018 7:33pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I was in an ambulance following a cycle accident, and in significant pain. Every speed bump was excruciating. I cursed the speed-bump makers (and still do!). Hate them Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #734892 15th Oct 2018 8:14pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Now the local highway authority has the power under the various highway acts to install traffic calming measures. So they have the power but there is normally have to have legal justifications to do so. Such justifications would be reduction of accidents or improving the environment.

Whilst the local highway authority have the legal power to install traffic calming measures they also have to act within certain parameters including design and actual dimensions.

have a look at Traffic Calming here and road hump dimensions here

Now you could get out with your tape measure and start asking your local council questions under Freedom of Information requests on costs of installations, actual dimensions etc. Try asking for the legal justification such as accident reduction (what is actual accident statistics?) what effect it has on emergency vehicles etc as they must take that into consideration.

Brendan
Post #734909 15th Oct 2018 8:59pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Our local authority recently had to rip up and re-lay about 10 pairs of new speed humps because they were made too high. It was complaints from residents with damaged cars that got them to do it. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #734912 15th Oct 2018 9:10pm
Slideywindows

England 
Zed wrote:

Not the point.

By trying to "solve" one problem, they are creating other problems, eg. the slowing and bouncing of emergency vehicles, diverting the problem elsewhere etc.

A more intelligent solution is needed.

From what Bluest wrote above, perhaps the Portugese are more intelligent than us?
Post #734989 16th Oct 2018 10:57am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
We have the 'Portugese' solution in the UK too. There are a set of those lights not far from me.

The calibration is quite important - if the timing is wrong then the speeding car goes right through and the innocent person behind them gets held up.
Post #734996 16th Oct 2018 11:15am
Adam17

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
I must say im not a lover of the speed bumps, and those around the roads I take seem to not bother me.

My previous car - Audi A4 Avant SLine (originally bought for camping due to large boot) Glided across them, although their was the odd one that was wider than usual and would nearly destroy my car...

And now My 2004 Defender does just the same, it glides over them.

But I still dislike them - ALOT Regards
Adam

Loving The Duchess
The Defender 110 TD5 XS

My Defender story - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic64005.html
Post #735003 16th Oct 2018 11:37am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Post #735091 16th Oct 2018 6:38pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
Post #735097 16th Oct 2018 6:54pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Slideywindows wrote:
Zed wrote:

Not the point.

By trying to "solve" one problem, they are creating other problems, eg. the slowing and bouncing of emergency vehicles, diverting the problem elsewhere etc.

A more intelligent solution is needed.

From what Bluest wrote above, perhaps the Portugese are more intelligent than us?

Absolutely the point. If people didn't speed they wouldn't be needed. That is undeniable.

Unfortunately that will never happen because this country is full of people who believe the law doesn't apply to them.

I do agree that a more intelligent solution is needed, for one emissions would be cut down dramatically by removing them, however intelligence isn't something usually associated with councils, the highway agency or our government.
Post #735098 16th Oct 2018 6:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>