↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Hypothetical on Running Gear (not trainers and shorts)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Hypothetical on Running Gear (not trainers and shorts)
This is for those who know a thing or two about the running gear on our Defs. I'm still putting a bit of cash aside to tackle the suspension on my DCPU, but I've been wondering what the thoughts are of more experienced types, about other aspects of running gear that could/should be tackled if funds allow. These would include any of the following:

CV Joints
Trailing Arms
Radius Arms
Drive Shafts
Flanges
Steering Arms
Differentials
Etc etc.

Loosely speaking, what of the above (and more) OE parts are fit for purpose, what can or should be replaced if funds allow?

Over to you Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #734168 11th Oct 2018 7:53am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Depends on what you do with it, and what setup you have.
Post #734171 11th Oct 2018 8:16am
Grenadier

You're quite right, should have said. Looking at going down the Bilstein/Alive (Eibach) route for 95% road driving. Running 18" Bowlers with BFGs, live in the mountains in France so considerable twisty A-road use Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #734172 11th Oct 2018 8:18am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Suspension bushes. Genuine rubber is my recommendation.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #734178 11th Oct 2018 9:49am
windy81

Wales 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Firenze Red
rubber bushes. Thumbs Up
Post #734187 11th Oct 2018 11:10am
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
For the type of use that you describe I'd suggest a similar set - up to my USW the idea being to tighten up the steering and reduce backlash - therefore helping with drivability. This ensures that the Puma easily handles the extra power that the BAS remap and intercooler gives it.

New suspension bushes throughout, in my experience rubber not poly.

Sumo Bars track rod and drag link with quality grease able track rod ends.

OME steering damper.

1 piece rear half shafts, I had my floating half shafts welded to the drive flanges.

This setup is not particularly expensive and, together with the suspension changes (mine runs OME shocks and standard springs)that you have outlined should improve the feel and stability of the vehicle.

'Twill never be a sportscar though!
Post #734193 11th Oct 2018 11:48am
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Genuine bushes and yep I do think the HD steering bars make a big difference too.
Post #734213 11th Oct 2018 1:50pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Just refreshing stuff can make a difference.

I've had two new lockers built up by Nige coupled with new drive flanges, shafts and CVs (all Ashcrofts) the amount of slop taken out is astonishing. Having said that it is a vehicle that's just crossed 180k.

Recommend genuine bushes as well. Also I wouldn't go with overly hard springs, I have HD springs all round (genuinely needed them originally) but now the vehicle is usually much lighter I'm killing bushes rapidly as they're pretty much the suspension in the vehicle.

With twisty A roads have you considered one of Si Rafferty's anti roll bars? Now sold by Foundry 4x4 if I remember correctly. Yes they're designed to disconnect but it's also supposed to be significantly stiffer when connected. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #734289 11th Oct 2018 8:58pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
What size tyres? What's the ultimate goal reliability or better handling? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #734312 12th Oct 2018 5:19am
redline

Switzerland 
Somewhat surprised that most comments specifically mention (OEM?) rubber bushes...

I've used poly bushes (specifically SuperPro) on most of my 4x4s that have been used for road and light-offroad use, and could not have been happier. I feel they make the vehicle more "precise" and reactive. My 110, used in the alps is set-up this way, and I've found no downside.

The exception has been for vehicles that I've used for either harder off-roading requiring lots of articulation, or for overlanding when you know you're going to spend many hours on corrugated tracks.

Curious to hear the counter-arguments though...
Post #734329 12th Oct 2018 9:02am
benniferj

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Pretty much opposite of you Redline Laughing
I've put Superpro on my heavy duty off roader and it's solved the bush wear problem I was having due to all the extra articulation.
I run my normal more road/green lane cars on Original bushes and they drive spot on. And they're cheaper.
I'd just go original bushes on a 95% road car.
Post #734331 12th Oct 2018 9:18am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i run bearmach bushes on the hard off roaders/challenge vehicles where external damage is more likley to cause damage than the bush wearing ie bend a mount and rip an arm out or catching radious/trailing arm bushes on tree stumps/logs/stones on crossings.

on road and for your training vehicles (4x4 off raod training) i run Superpro on the grounds they last for ages. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #734334 12th Oct 2018 9:23am
redline

Switzerland 
Grenadier - not considering a brake upgrade? It moved up to near the top of my list when I relocated my 110 from the flatlands to the Alps!

I last year drove a 110 with B6 dampers / custom progressive springs, LSDs all-round and 6-piston brakes, and whilst it was no 911, by truck standards it was a beast - much more enjoyable and planted than mine on the mountain roads. Felt more comfortable braking into downhill hair-pins, and much better body control on uneven and twisty roads. Felt like a different vehicle - only the crappy gear change reminded me that it was a Defender Laughing
Post #734340 12th Oct 2018 10:09am
Grenadier

Thank you all. It was actually Shropshire's other post talking about his half-shaft/flange set-up that got me thinking. Basically, I may be moving job which will first give me a golden handshake (the extra cash to step up from just the sussies) and second will require me to drive all over the Alps, plus PACA and perhaps the SW and Paris. I love the Def, so it'll remain my daily driver. As such, in terms of 'ultimate goals' it would be to achieve the following, in no particular order:

1. Extra grunt for the mountains, but also long-distance M-way cruising
2. Comfort
3. Stability/handling.

I do NOT expect the DC to have the grunt of a Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat (look one up, with sound on full Very Happy ), the comfort of a Rolls or the handling of a Caterham. However, I do feel 'all of the above' can be improved, but my question related to how much baring the extra parts we have all mentioned would have on comfort/handling if they were invested in as well.

Plans are as follows:

1. Remap, intercooler, airbox, turbo, hoses all on a 2.4
2. Bilstein B6 and Eibach springs, with new OE bushes
3. Bilstein steering damper, Eibach ARB, Sumo bar set-up. Possibly change to Cooper Zeons. And yes Redline, a BBK upgrade, I get very spongy response after a hard day's driving.

There's other bits to be added as well such as cruise control, roll cage, canopy etc. But I might have 1500 quid or so left over and thought some drive-train bits might be worth doing at the same time as sussies, ARB and HD steering.

So, based on some thoughts above, I will look to add Ashcroft fixed half shafts, HD Diffs, maybe radius arms? Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #734355 12th Oct 2018 1:30pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Just bite the bullet and get a Bowler Bulldog when they release the road going version! (have I missed the bog announcement, I thought it was being made in October?).

As for running gear I quite like this... Embarassed

Click image to enlarge
 James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #734358 12th Oct 2018 1:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>