↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > why we love our defenders.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
why we love our defenders.....
as we know (those with remote fob / xs) - it's a simple thing, does just 3 things - open, close and nothing (broken).

if only the vw Polo fob was such a simple affair. after more than 6 months I've learnt just tonight it opens / closes the doors. if I'm patient it'll open / close the windows approx. 50mm too (I guess to let anyone / thing inside breath) and if I'm really patient it'll fully open / close the windows. Then if I try and play a tune on it, it'll open the fuel cover too but only if I get the turn right or if I'm balancing on my left foot only. then you can open just the drivers door, or just the boot.

BUT if you're at the petrol pump and wanna open the fuel cover if the door or doors are open then best you've got a spare 5 minutes to get the right combination of button presses while balancing on the correct foot. !! FFS why can't things be simples !!! Evil or Very Mad

Either I've got a faulty fuel cover (but then it's VW - is that possible) or can someone kindly explain how the Censored I supposed to open the damn thing Very Happy

many thanks.
Post #733891 9th Oct 2018 7:25pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
you think that's mad, I had the peugeot 306 a year until I realised it had Climate control Rolling Eyes Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #733896 9th Oct 2018 7:38pm
Caterham

Laughing

Thumbs Up
Post #733911 9th Oct 2018 7:54pm
Pat

Wales 
Re: why we love our defenders.....
if only the vw Polo fob was such a simple affair. after more than 6 months I've learnt just tonight it opens / closes the doors. if I'm patient it'll open / close the windows approx. 50mm too (I guess to let anyone / thing inside breath) and if I'm really patient it'll fully open / close the windows.

Now that's interesting!
What do you do with the fob to open the windows?
I have a Skoda Fabia (Skoda fobs are exactly the same as many VW fobs) and 2 or 3 times I've returned to the car to find the windows fully open - up until now I've been questioning my sanity, but perhaps, just perhaps, I've unknowingly been doing something with my fob. It started with a kiss, never thought it would come to this.
SIII CSW Safari, limestone, (JAC 914N). Where is she now?

It's not a car, it's a way of life!
Post #733926 9th Oct 2018 8:28pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I used to have a Polo as a commuter hack. Nice car. However, when leaving for a holiday last year, I moved it about on the driveway just before leaving and then chucked the keys in the cubby box (of our D4). Later that evening, neighbour phones to say all of the windows are open on the Polo. It seems the cubby lid had just pressed on the fob enough to open the windows before we got out of range Rolling Eyes Cue a long drive back to close the damn thing again Evil or Very Mad Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #733927 9th Oct 2018 8:33pm
Pat

Wales 
Had to laugh, prompted me to do a Google, first result on BritSkoda, mentions a Land Rover with the same issue!

This query is a good few months old with no responses. My front windows have also decided to spontaneously auto open. It has happened 3 times in a short period and not since. Is this a 'feature' which is being activated when it shouldn't? A friend has a Land Rover which opens all the windows if the remote button is kept pressed down for a few seconds, apparently to let the air in just before you get in the vehicle!

Any guidance would be welcome.

Thanks It started with a kiss, never thought it would come to this.
SIII CSW Safari, limestone, (JAC 914N). Where is she now?

It's not a car, it's a way of life!
Post #733931 9th Oct 2018 8:38pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Pressing and holding the unlock button to open all of the windows is a reasonably common feature, these days. It works on our D4 and was great in the recent hot weather.

They shouldn't open of the own accord though Confused Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #733947 9th Oct 2018 9:13pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
^ oh that explains so much, I thought I fell for the signal intercept and refeed thieves.

My focus had a check engine light stuck on Amber from where the serial numbers on the ecu and engine didn’t match...

My mate bought a fiesta of a banger racer for a two figure sum and 12 month MOT.

Problem is the bonnet, rear doors, boot and fuel cap were welded up. The suspension had also collapsed, and was running a cylinder short.

The worst part was the electronics, everything was inverted or crossed over,
Putting the hazards on would set off the alarm and give off a police car effect
Steering beyond a full turn would set off the horn, as would going over a speed bump
Indicators were inverted
Window wipers would only work with windows down
It was full beam or no lights.
Honking the horn would set off the wiper fluid
If you set off the alarm the windows would come down

That’s what I can remember but I’m sure there was a long list of stuff that either didn’t work or it would do the opposite of what you wanted it to do.

I have this really funny image of him pulling into the car park at 07:00 trying to be quiet, he went over the speed bump and it honked his horn, he then tried to park it up and went beyond a full turn and the horn went off another three or so times.

When we took it to scrap it we sawed through the bonnet and found the antifreeze full of oil and the engine full of emulsion.

Surprisingly when he scrapped it he got a couple hundred quid for the metal and sold the racing seats which meant he recouped a lot of the fuel and insurance costs, to be fair the total cost of the car, fuel and insurance was less than a grand when you factor in the money he made from scrapping it! I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #733977 10th Oct 2018 7:10am
Caterham

Re: why we love our defenders.....
Now that's interesting!
What do you do with the fob to open the windows?
I have a Skoda Fabia (Skoda fobs are exactly the same as many VW fobs) and 2 or 3 times I've returned to the car to find the windows fully open - up until now I've been questioning my sanity, but perhaps, just perhaps, I've unknowingly been doing something with my fob.[/quote]

If you hold the lock / unlock button for an extended period the windows open / close a little.....hold it down even longer a full open / close.

I've been having issues with the auto open / close sometimes not working from the internal door mounted window switch and assumed the switch had got rain water in it (rain water get in really easily with the window open just and little and lands on the switch) but not guess it a result of the key fob !!!! Evil or Very Mad

anyone seen a list of what these damn key fobs actually do?
Post #733980 10th Oct 2018 7:47am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Had a 2009 Skoda Octavia. Went to B&Q and was driving home and all the windows wound down. It was winter. Stopped the car on the side of the road. Shut all the windows. Started driving again, got to a round about and the windows wound down again. Long and the short of it, there is a central locking button between the hand brake and the gearstick. Pressing this to open has the same effect as mentioned above with the key fob. Too much junk in the car and this is why the windows were opening.
Post #733982 10th Oct 2018 7:58am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Typical male responses.
It always helps to read the instructions. Rolling with laughter
I had my Audi for 10 years before I discovered buttons in the door frame which altered the alarm functions!
You should be able to alter the programming if you have the diagnostic tools too. We could on the Audi, and I would guess all the VW/Audi/Skoda group use similar systems.
Post #733997 10th Oct 2018 10:31am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
You are correct. The Skoda was fitted with daylight running lights but were not enabled. I got the garage to switch these on for me. The car was a dark metallic grey and it seemed like everyone was ignoring me on the road. It made a surprising difference. It also made me feel like a Volvo! Not sure if that’s good or not Very Happy
Post #733999 10th Oct 2018 11:06am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
^^ I find it quite disturbing now that since the widespread adoption of (wholly unnecessary) daytime running lights you are now invisible at all times if you don't have lights on. Even in full sunshine my Defender is, apparently, utterly invisible.
Post #734004 10th Oct 2018 11:52am
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
I've had nothing but Solihull products since the early seventies so I can't compare.
Does sort of indicate what I feel about them though. 
Post #734016 10th Oct 2018 12:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1