↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Travelling to New York - any advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
I worked there for a while and visit every 2 years. Agree with all the above and would add a couple of things:

Get the Subway A or C train to Brooklyn High St station and then walk back to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge. I promise you'll never forget the spectacular view.

Yes its touristy but Times Square after dark is crazy. (but safe too) Your kids will be enthralled.

If you're going to a few major sites get the City Pass online. You'll save about 40% on 6 attractions, Empire state building, Rockerfeller centre etc.

I wouldn't bother going to Liberty island as the queues are too long and it'll take hours. As was said earlier get the Staten Island ferry which is free and goes very close to Lady Liberty as she's called in Nyc

The roosevelt Island Tramway is a cable car that goes over the East River and back for the price of a subway ticket. And, as was pointed out Dylans Sweet store is right at the Manhattan end of it

I must add that we felt perfectly safe with the kids everywhere. And despite seeing all the major tourist sites they liked the Subway better than anything
Enjoy the trip !
Post #734105 10th Oct 2018 8:57pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
What everyone else has said Thumbs Up

Plus 1 for the Highline, but try a burger at Bubby's first:

Click image to enlarge

Although, despite its size, it was still cheaper than Mrs Grenadier's glass of wine!! Which reminds me, take out a mortgage for alcohol, prices make London look cheap.

Ground Zero is very moving and on a shocking scale, the new WTC has impressive views but bloody expensive to get up there, especially with a family.

Click image to enlarge

Walk everywhere, it's so accesible, but remember to look up.

Click image to enlarge

Eat, IMHO, the best Burger in NYC at Shake Shack on Madison Square and check out the Flat Iron building at the same time, my favourite building, great for photos and underated when compared to ES, Chrysler etc.

Don't forget to visit Grand Central station, it's within walking distance of Rockerfeller, Trump Tower, Empire State, Chrysler, 5th/Park/Madison Avenues, Central park etc.

Walk through Central park, and even if you're not into art, check out The Met and the Guggenheim, two iconic NYC buildings. Then grab a burger at the bar at Jams (ground floor of the 1 Hotel) on the corner of 6th and W58th. (There's a theme with the Grenadier and burgers, anywhere in the world).

Click image to enlarge

Overall, you'll have a great time.

Click image to enlarge
 Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #734166 11th Oct 2018 8:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12