↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > ICE. Crossover where?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
ICE. Crossover where?
Where in the wiring system would you put crossovers?

Would they be before or after an amp?

I got a big amp, and a sub, but think that the other speakers are also powered via the same amp. Is this possible? I’m planning on pulling big amp, and sub, so am concerned that I will loose all sound. I think I’ve got two large crossover doofas hidden in dash, under the head unit.

Andy.
Post #733330 6th Oct 2018 3:08pm
BenB8man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The crossovers are there to split the high frequencies from the low, so when you have separate component speakers you don't have bass going to your tweeters and don't have high frequencies going to your woofers. These are almost always as part of the speakers though, so will be installed after the amp. The amp is usually fed from the headunit using RCA cables.

You can get big amps that will do multiple channels, so one for your sub and a stereo pair, so yes its absolutely possible. Have a look at the wiring coming out of the amp, should be easy to tell if you've got lots of speaker feeds coming out of it.

In a defender, as the speakers are all in the dash, you most likely have crossovers in the dash too. If it was me, I'd have one each side under the tweeters, dependent on space in there obviously. This would save running twice the amount of speaker wire to each individual component.

If those speakers are powered from the amp, you will indeed loose all sound from them if you remove the amp.

If you need it, post some more info about what you're trying to do and I'll try to help you out.
Post #733333 6th Oct 2018 3:31pm
landy andy

Thanks. The sound in my new to me vehicle is ok, as is the receipt for £1000 of stereo. But what I’m needing to do is remove the amp and sub as I don’t want them mounted where they are, and don’t have room for them. I want better sound than the four standard 100mm speakers, so am thinking a small combined amp/sub under cubby box. But i was surprised to find two electronic gizmo boxes mounted in the dash under stereo. So unsure of the issue of binning these, and was unsure if they were pre or post amp. Was hoping to have more info, but today’s Censored weather put a stop to that.

Andy.
Post #733337 6th Oct 2018 3:48pm
BenB8man

Ah ok, if that's the case I'd keep the speakers and things in place. No need to touch them if you're still planning to amp the system.

You'll probably find the cables route past the cubby, so just pull them back to there and mount your amp/sub in there. Smile
Post #733342 6th Oct 2018 4:05pm
landy andy

I’m only planning small amp that is built within the underseat (under cubby box for me) sub. I had an Alpine one before.
Post #733344 6th Oct 2018 4:07pm
landy andy

Am I correct in thinking that I can go bigger than the standard size front speakers as I have a Td5 with aircon, so more room?
Post #733345 6th Oct 2018 4:13pm
landy andy

This is what I want rid of.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #733424 7th Oct 2018 9:54am
BenB8man

Ah yes, so like I said, you should be able to pull that phono cable and positive cable that feeds the amp back to the cubby to the new speaker. I would have thought they route past there, not sure where else they would have.
What you now need to do, if you don't want the front speakers amped anymore, is find out how they've fed them. Has the installer tapped into the existing wiring loom to feed the speakers or pulled the feeds from the amp straight to the crossovers (which I recon he has.
Take a speaker out and see if you can find the original speaker wire. Bear in mind they you'll need to move the crossover if that's the case.
Post #733432 7th Oct 2018 10:42am
landy andy

So I’ve pulled the amp, and sub out. Now, as you predicted, I have rear speakers only working. One set of phone cables I’ve damaged by pulling through hole but other is ok. It’s got a huge gold fuse and holder that I can keep for mini sub amp thing when I can get. Now I need to pull the head unit and remove the crossovers.

Are crossovers required if I have, keep, the small tweaters and dash speakers up front just powered by hu?
Post #733435 7th Oct 2018 11:05am
BenB8man

Exactly that. Your new speaker should hopefully just take a phono input, so you can use your one working cable for that. The Power cable should be good too, but just to confirm, is the large fuse and holder as close to the battery as possible? It kind of sounded like that was something also close to the amp.

Yes, the crossovers are necessary, the speakers will sound Censored without them and could damage them. If all the original speaker loom is in tact, put the crossovers back inline where the speakers are installed. Thumbs Up

Just to test, check the back of one of the speakers and see if theres a connector there from the factory installation. If you plug it in see if you get sound from it. If not, check the settings in the HU. On my alpine, I have an option to 'disable internal amp' which your installer might have used when he disconnected the original speaker wires. If still nothing, it might be unplugged from the back of the HU (or cut Big Cry )

Also, what are you planning on doing with your old amp and sub? I might well have the type of combined sub and amp you're after. Whistle
Post #733451 7th Oct 2018 12:30pm
landy andy

Right.

I’ve remved sub, amp, front tweeters, crossover things, and loads of cable.

The original wires were all there for the speakers and in operation. Although I only found this after stripping the dash Big Cry Big Cry , but it’s not the first or last time I will be doing it. They had made two new looms from crossovers to the front four speakers, so just disconnected then and pulled them out. Tweeters were just held on with double sided tape Thumbs Up

I’ve just connected the speakers to the LR wires (not proper size connectors, but it will do), so now just have alpine head unit power two front, and two rear speakers. So at least have some tunes. I now need small amp/sub unit that I will mount under the cubby box, probably in a Mudstuff enclosure thing.

I’m open to offers for amp, sub, and crossovers. Can even throw in some wireless phonos if you want Whistle Whistle

Andy.
Post #733456 7th Oct 2018 1:05pm
landy andy

Behind head unit.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #733458 7th Oct 2018 1:11pm
BenB8man

Ah right. I thought you were keeping the tweeters and crossovers? They should all work together with the front speakers. Rolling Eyes

Whats the model of amp you've got?
Post #733459 7th Oct 2018 1:19pm
landy andy

Was going to keep tweeters, but looked simple to strip it out and just use existing wires. I don’t think tweeters are needed at this stage, with zero base, and wanted to loose the crossovers as they are big things.

The amp is a HERTZ HE4.
Post #733460 7th Oct 2018 1:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1