↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 - Hybrid / VGT Turbo - Who to buy from?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Naf

Kuwait 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Nato Green No Canopy
I had both Alive and Jose

now if you are looking for some Simple plug-and-play no modifications needed go alive

if you are looking for one bad ass turbo Then go with Jose

Forewarning Alive is quick and expensive, Jose is not as quick but not as expensive
Post #732764 3rd Oct 2018 6:31pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
VNT with proper control system is better then any wastegate controlled turbo - in similar size, it has bigger range of control, without wasting "power". The "small" problem is the proper control - in TD5 it is normally made only by the output pressure, but it is not enough to gain all from the VNT, as it is always too slow (rise if air pressure needs some time), compared to VNT controlled from ECU. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #732850 4th Oct 2018 8:15am
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
Naf wrote:
I had both Alive and Jose

now if you are looking for some Simple plug-and-play no modifications needed go alive

if you are looking for one bad ass turbo Then go with Jose

Forewarning Alive is quick and expensive, Jose is not as quick but not as expensive

Which company does Jose own/work for? 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #732930 4th Oct 2018 2:57pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Jose is td5inside I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #732932 4th Oct 2018 3:11pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Sorry to say but my experience with Alive was not great. They remapped my TD5 but it poured out white smoke on full throttle.
The Alive guy in Manchester who did the remap was unreachable for six weeks and eventually l was stopped by the rozzers and given a VRN.
I had to take the Defender to the LR dealer to get the ECU reset.

After that l asked for a partial refund from Alive Manchester (only asked for £125 the cost of resetting it and not the £360 he’d charged me)

So he ignored my calls, so l left him a fair review based on that (three stars out of five)
I heard nothing for months and then a text at about 11.30pm at night asking me to remove the review as it was “affecting his business”

So l took the review down, and asked for £125 to cover the reset of the ECU.
He went silent again and blocked me from leaving another review.

Not great and l am still nearly £500 down with nothing to show for it.
Post #733133 5th Oct 2018 5:31pm
isacs

United Kingdom 
So is there a definitive answer to which turbo you should have??

Last edited by isacs on 7th Oct 2018 4:25pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #733348 6th Oct 2018 5:23pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
I’d be interested in reducing turbo lag on mine, and l have to say that with the Alive remap the 110 went like stink. Although it poured out white smoke under power and l thought the head gasket had gone.

It it possible to fit a variable vane turbo? It’s now running a remap done by Dynachip, the guy was great, but it’s a fair bit slower (than the Alive remap) as he had to turn it down twice to stop it smoking.
He said l have about an extra 20-25bhp but the improvement in torque is still pretty good.
Post #733365 6th Oct 2018 7:55pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
I keep wondering about a DIY conversion to a VVT, I have a 2.5 litre 5 cylinder diesel in my VW Transporter that has a VVT and it drives so much better than the TD5 90 even though it weighs more. Other than the VVT the engine is VERY similar in design to the TD5 right down to the EGR and fuel system design... they also suffer from warped exhaust manifolds and leaking injector seals.

No idea how much of that is down to the VVT but as it's controlled via a "simple" N57 valve all it needs is an electronic controller and a vacuum source. I don't know how much leeway the standard ECU has in matching AFM and MAP readings to appropriate fuelling but it seems to me it should run it quite happily as long as I ensure the max boost pressure isn't exceeded... The difficult part would be working out the "requested boost" but in it's simplest form I can't think why a simple throttle input wouldn't work.

It's a Garret turbo so used in a lot of different applications and also available in different configurations. For my van there's a 130BHP and a 174BHP version that are interchangeable.

One day I'll get some free time and the inclination and give it a go Smile http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #733374 6th Oct 2018 9:17pm
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
Thanks for the replies so far guys. The aim of the hybrid turbo isn't to eat pimped hatchbacks off the line, I'd just like to up the performance a bit further from the current stage 2 without pushing the limits of reliability of factory components or belching black smoke.

Having asked TD5 Inside, BAS, IRB and a few other companies lots of questions, I'm pretty much set on Alive now although will travel to their main HQ in Lincs next time I am in UK to ask lots of questions before handing over cash. Subject to being happy I will have the work and remap done by them to maintain warranty. It's also a good excuse to have a grown up make an assessment on the general condition of the engine.

I work offshore so this isn't going to happen in the next couple of weeks but will update as it progresses. Thanks for all the help so far Thumbs Up

PS - anyone know where the Alive and BAS sections have gone from the sponsors forum? 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
1992 200Tdi 90 Truck cab with Land Cruiser axles
Post #733970 10th Oct 2018 6:56am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
BAS is still there - Bell Auto Services. Presumably, Alive are not currently sponsors. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #733975 10th Oct 2018 7:55am
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
Ah yes LRA you are right, I missed that bit Embarassed Shame the Alive part has gone there was some good technical information in there. 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
1992 200Tdi 90 Truck cab with Land Cruiser axles
Post #733983 10th Oct 2018 9:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12