↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Cummins Repower Diesel Engines
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Cummins Repower Diesel Engines
In the US, Cummins are marketing a range of crate engines specifically aimed at retrofitting into older 4x4 and trucks. Looks like a neat way to get a modern engine into an older vehicle. It’s not something I could undertake, but I wondered whether there would be much demand here for Defenders. No idea what the regulatory hurdles would be, but if you imported one and stuck it in a TDI would it me allowed?

https://www.cummins.com/engines/repower

https://expeditionportal.com/old-dogs-new-...te-engine/ 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #731277 26th Sep 2018 7:35am
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
People have been putting the 6bt...etc engines into defenders for years. If I where to do a swap id probably look at a Mercedes om 6 cylinder with mechanical injection though 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #731278 26th Sep 2018 7:38am
Bluest

I know that people having sticking all sorts of engines in Defenders over the years, but felt this was a bit different. It’s a brand new modern engine range marketed specifically 4x4 retrofits. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #731282 26th Sep 2018 7:59am
Guy

United Kingdom 
I saw the article on ExPo this morning too.

Very interesting - especially if they can provide a factory solution for mating the engine to a range of gearboxes. 
DINGO - '99 Discovery 2 V8 with 300Tdi transplant, chawton white. Repatriated from Australia and expedition prepped.
**FOR SALE**
SHARKY - '06 Discovery 3 HSE Auto, bonatti grey. SOLD.
GEORGE - '99 Discovery 1 300Tdi Auto, willow green. Daily driver, travel companion, part of the family! SOLD.
PINGU - '96 Defender 110 300Tdi station wagon. SOLD.

Dream LR - 130 pop top station wagon camper.
Post #731289 26th Sep 2018 8:24am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Have to say that Cummins sounds like a great alternative to any replacement engine. More importantly it is great to see a manufacturer realising that there are thousands of much loved but old trucks out there that might like a new beating heart. I am sure purists will hate the thought of putting a non-standard engine in.

But... with more torque and power straight out of the box I could be persuaded should my TD5 bite the dust...
Post #731290 26th Sep 2018 8:39am
benniferj

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
As mentioned the 6bt has been installed into many Defenders and Discos. There is a very active Facebook group for it where I believe you can buy all the adaptors to make it fairly easy. I believe a downside is the weight because they are super heavy blocks. Most of the installs I have seen are loud, noisy extreme off roaders or otherwise race vehicles so will be interesting to see if they produce something a bit more friendly and a bit smaller in the engine bay.

Great shout though as the 200 and 300tdi Disco market is thinning out for donors.
Post #731292 26th Sep 2018 8:54am
Conan

Belgium 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Coniston Green
Quote:
As mentioned the 6bt has been installed into many Defenders and Discos. There is a very active Facebook group for it where I believe you can buy all the adaptors to make it fairly easy. I believe a downside is the weight because they are super heavy blocks. Most of the installs I have seen are loud, noisy extreme off roaders or otherwise race vehicles so will be interesting to see if they produce something a bit more friendly and a bit smaller in the engine bay.

The other option is the 4bt engine which is smaller/lighter, but most people on the Cummins LR page on facebook recommend the 6bt. I didn't think it was much for extreme offroaders, but more for worktrucks that need to tow heavy loads. I also read it's ideal for long distance driving...

110 HCPU with a 12v 6bt = dream truck Smile only if it was allowed to swap engines in my country...

Last edited by Conan on 26th Sep 2018 9:33am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #731294 26th Sep 2018 9:12am
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
I seem to remember back in the day (mid 90's) didn't Land Rover offer the then new 200tdi as retro re fits for Ninety and One Tens (pre Defender)?

At the time I was too stupid to realise that would have been the best way to go and saved me a fortune in the long run Rolling with laughter (at the time I had the best 110 I have ever owned - only let down by the Turbo Diesel engine fitted) 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #731297 26th Sep 2018 9:30am
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
In case anyone is missing the point, the R2.8 is a NEW 2.8 litre 4 cylinder specifically for REPOWER applications - as said by BlueST.
Cummins sell it as a kit ready to fit, it can even run in the create with fuel and power connected.

Petersen's 4 Wheel magazine have already fitted one in Range Rover Classic, and a few Jeeps.

It is not a big, heavy 4BT or 6BT.

You've got to wonder though about the viability of fitting a diesel engine with today's backlash against all things Diesel.
Post #731316 26th Sep 2018 12:40pm
Conan

Belgium 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Coniston Green
I agree with your concern about the viability of a diesel engine...
This being said, if you are a diy-er, wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to fit a 4 or 6bt? The R2.8 is not cheap and it's still not a bolt-in direct engine replacement...
Post #731324 26th Sep 2018 1:24pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
DSC-off wrote:
In case anyone is missing the point, the R2.8 is a NEW 2.8 litre 4 cylinder specifically for REPOWER applications - as said by BlueST.
Cummins sell it as a kit ready to fit, it can even run in the create with fuel and power connected.

Petersen's 4 Wheel magazine have already fitted one in Range Rover Classic, and a few Jeeps.

It is not a big, heavy 4BT or 6BT.

You've got to wonder though about the viability of fitting a diesel engine with today's backlash against all things Diesel.

I also agree. Living in the EU as I do, near a city that has already brought in a part-ban (Lyon), near a country with ever-stricter emmissions laws (Switzerland) and in a region with notoriously high levels of pollution (the Alps), I think the anti-diesel sentiments will only get stronger and become more of a burden on big, old 4x4 diesel cars. So if I was ever going to go through the effort/cost of fitting a brand new engine, that is not a like-for-like swap, I would now be seriously considering the JE Engineering Ford 2.3l Ecoboost upgrade. Better emmissions, quieter, cleaner, more fuel efficient, easy swap, half the price of a V8 and still between 300-350bhp. I'm giving it some very serious thought as possibly the best future-proofing option to keep the beast on the road for the next 25 years Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #731327 26th Sep 2018 1:39pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Whats the maintenance and spares like on these things?

Are they Similar to the HET truck engines the army use that are supposed to be super reliable but spares are non existent or super expensive? I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #731371 26th Sep 2018 6:53pm
Bluest

It’s apparently related to a truck engine fitted to products sold in Oz. It’s mentioned in the OJ article. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #731377 26th Sep 2018 7:02pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
OsloBlue wrote:
Whats the maintenance and spares like on these things?

Are they Similar to the HET truck engines the army use that are supposed to be super reliable but spares are non existent or super expensive?

I would expect Cummins use the same basic engine in generators and all sorts, so parts will be available, albeit from a limited number of sources. It's probably no worse than sourcing parts for an old 2.8 Daihatsu engine or what ever.

Quote:
The other option is the 4bt engine which is smaller/lighter

Yeah but 4 cylinder lorry engines, just sound rubbish, especially at idle. Has to be a straight 6 diesel for that lovely engine note and tick over.
Post #731394 26th Sep 2018 7:51pm
dorsetsmith

I would expect Cummins use the same basic engine in generators and all sorts, so parts will be available, albeit from a limited number of sources. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #731395 26th Sep 2018 7:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>