↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Silicone Hoses and OAT coolant
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
Silicone Hoses and OAT coolant
Anyone know where I can get silicone hoses that'll cope with OAT coolant? The "normal" blue ones as supplied by Padoocks I *think* don't.

Found a company that sell silicone TD5 hoses but would have to make OAT compatible ones as a one off ... which could well be a bit pricy

Could of course move to the waterless coolant I guess.

A Santa - 1977 Series 3 - new chassis, tub, disc brakes,SU Carb
Gertie - 1999 110 TD5 - like a Phoenix from the ashes back on road... almost
Effie - 2004 110 TD5 County
Post #729549 17th Sep 2018 4:45pm
Tommo

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Didn't realise there was a problem with silicon and OAT??
I have LR hoses so no issue for me but there are lots of folk on here with silicon hoses Shocked
Have you any further info on this?
Post #729553 17th Sep 2018 4:59pm
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
From https://www.lhss.co.uk/silicone-hoses/oat/

So basically, the "blue" silicone hoses you can buy probably aren't OAT compatible, certainly the multi colour ones available from lhss aren't, they're for Etheylene Glycol coolant. I'm just waiting for a price for TD5 hoses that are OAT compliant..... then again might go down the Evans Power Cool 180° (Waterless Engine Coolant) route http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk/Coolants/Pe...r_cool_180

Organic Acid Technology (OAT)

Ethylene Glycol coolants usually contain compounds such as amines, phosphates, nitrites, borates and/or silicates. The mixture is far less environmentally friendly than a typical pure OAT coolant mix which usually contains none of the above.

Hybrid (HOAT) coolants are generally moderately ‘silicated’ for improved aluminium protection.Ethylene glycol coolants offer rapid protection of cooling system components. However, the inhibitors deplete rapidly meaning that frequent changes of coolant are needed to maintain effectiveness. Typical coolant life can be 30 – 50,000 miles.

Pure OAT coolants take longer to protect the metallic components in the system. However, once the protective layer is laid down, the inhibitors deplete only very slowly. Coolant life is typically between 150 – 300,000 miles. The initial cost of OAT coolants is also generally lower than that of ethylene glycol coolant. Cost savings can therefore be significant.

Hybrid coolants (HOAT) offer a blend of the two benefits by using a moderate level of salts such as silicates or borates. The HOAT coolants offer rapid protection, long life (150,000 miles) and prevent clogging of water pumps etc. Traditional ethylene glycol coolants have little or no effect on hoses under normal working conditions. However, they can have an effect on certain types of reinforcement fabric used in the hoses.
oat

Summary
LHSS - OAT Grade, offers an option between EPDM, blue coolant hose and fluoro-silicone hose, both from a cost and performance aspect.The construction of the OAT hose eliminates some of the potential failure points of a fluoro-lined and ‘standard’ blue hose while out performing EPDM hose.LHSS manufacture a high grade OAT resistant hose which also withstands much higher temperatures than conventional coolant hoses. Our OAT grade hose will operate in the range 150°C up to +230°C, making our OAT hose suitable for use in higher, under bonnet temperatures. Our OAT grade hose, also offers typically 30% higher burst pressure than standard coolant hoses.

Silicone Coolant Hose OAT Resistant
Silicone out performs conventional, organic hose materials, maintaining performance and flexibility over a wide temperature range, giving longer life and optimum reliability.

Hand built and available in a range of sizes and Shore hardness, our hoses resists hardening, cold leakage, high and low temperatures, varying pressures and is manufactured to resist OAT coolants and additives. Santa - 1977 Series 3 - new chassis, tub, disc brakes,SU Carb
Post #729703 18th Sep 2018 9:23am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
You might want to take a read of this thread before committing to the Evans system

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic63524.html?highlight=evans Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #729706 18th Sep 2018 9:54am
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
A quick chat with the Evans waterless coolant people gave me the following response

There are no detrimental occurrences caused by using Evans with silicone hoses.

Evans is widely used with silicone hoses by the majority of the race teams in championships such as Time Attack and Drifting to name a few. Also, the majority of the MXGP and MX2 teams throughout Europe use Evans with silicone hoses on their off-road motorcycles.

The only thing that you need to be careful of is that Evans can be quite searching and if there's a way out, it will find it.

However, it will seep out due to the lack of vapour pressure unlike with water-based fluid where it would spray/gush out, threfore you will need to ensure that the silicone hoses gain a good seal at the clips to avoid any seepage/leakage.
Rubber hoses do inherently gain a better seal than silicone hoses.

So new hoses, clips and waterless coolant it is! Santa - 1977 Series 3 - new chassis, tub, disc brakes,SU Carb
Post #729707 18th Sep 2018 10:05am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
My first thought is that they would say that Laughing

I think you may have missed the point, though. Whilst the stuff clearly works for some applications, a Land Rover may not be one of them. Typical operating conditions are very different from any sort of racing machine, with different demands on the cooling system. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #729724 18th Sep 2018 11:04am
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
Just looked at the link you supplied. eek! perhaps not then

Back to OAT compatible hoses then
Post #729730 18th Sep 2018 11:44am
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
I could think of a few reasons why someone would want to use it in a race / trackday car. Not in a daily or a car prepared for travel. In that case I'd rather have normal coolant I can easily find on every street corner.
Post #729737 18th Sep 2018 12:40pm
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
My first thought is that they would say that Laughing

I think you may have missed the point, though. Whilst the stuff clearly works for some applications, a Land Rover may not be one of them. Typical operating conditions are very different from any sort of racing machine, with different demands on the cooling system.

Got side tracked by the Wheeler Dealer episode where they put waterless coolant into a "normal" car ... sadly can't remember what it was Sad Santa - 1977 Series 3 - new chassis, tub, disc brakes,SU Carb
Post #729765 18th Sep 2018 2:59pm
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Unless there is concrete evidence out there maybe from another forum member, I wouldn't bother. Complete waste of money and time in draining and prepping the system to take it. Would be interested in hearing what others views are especially from those that have actually used it!

I thought I would give it a try as I had/have the problem of overheating/limp mode when in 5th/6th gear going up a hill, but it is in a 2.4tdci and not a td5. Hasn't had any benefit whatsoever plus I didn't think through it hard enough. As the CHT sensor would register 115' and go into limp mode the actual temperature would only be 98'. I had read(from their marketing splurge) that as it doesn't boil it doesn't produce any hotspots which I thought was the problem with normal water based coolants. Got that wrong as well!!

Just now waiting for the chance to drain all of it and replace with normal coolant. I for one will certainly not be using it again.
Post #729772 18th Sep 2018 3:24pm
dorsetsmith

triumph spitfire or stag
Post #729773 18th Sep 2018 3:27pm
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
smb wrote:
Unless there is concrete evidence out there maybe from another forum member, I wouldn't bother. Complete waste of money and time in draining and prepping the system to take it. Would be interested in hearing what others views are especially from those that have actually used it!

I thought I would give it a try as I had/have the problem of overheating/limp mode when in 5th/6th gear going up a hill, but it is in a 2.4tdci and not a td5. Hasn't had any benefit whatsoever plus I didn't think through it hard enough. As the CHT sensor would register 115' and go into limp mode the actual temperature would only be 98'. I had read(from their marketing splurge) that as it doesn't boil it doesn't produce any hotspots which I thought was the problem with normal water based coolants. Got that wrong as well!!

Just now waiting for the chance to drain all of it and replace with normal coolant. I for one will certainly not be using it again.

Good to hear from someone thats tried it and decided to revert to normal coolant. I've got a quote of £130 for all 3 TD5 OAT compatible hoses and in a selection of colours ... Given that paddocks quote £75 for the top hose and £75 for the bottom one thats not bad.

Post #729778 18th Sep 2018 4:18pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
I've switched to Prestone coolant. It's compatible with any vehicle and is just a standard coolant that mixes with water. I've had it in for about a year now, no problems at all Thumbs Up

The bonus is that it mixes with any other coolant so if you have residue left in the system or you need an emergency top up and can only get glycol or OAT it will be compatible Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #729795 18th Sep 2018 5:59pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
I ran evans waterless coolant, and I had nothing but problems with the engine. My mate who helped rebuild a Seat diesel engine had similar problems.
The car seemed to be under powered, like I was really forcing the engine to rev.
We had a chat about it a few years ago and he got a link,
Have a read of that Thumbs Up
http://www.norosion.com/evanstest.htm Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #729831 18th Sep 2018 9:19pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
“All system” coolant is a big no no in my book!

Td5s have enough leaking/hose/cooling problems without making it worse!

Click image to enlarge
Post #729837 18th Sep 2018 9:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>