Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Chamonix Def
Yesterday in central Chamonix.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #727491 6th Sep 2018 8:55am
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
I was recently in the Alps, around Mont Blanc and Megeve and was surprised at the amount of Defenders and Series Land Rovers I saw. JLR really dropped the ball letting the Defender die without a viable replacement in production.
Post #727500 6th Sep 2018 9:36am
Grenadier

Exactly where I live (St Gervais actually) and I work in Cham. We have loads of LRs around here, of all ages and almost all variants. Private SWs for chalets, 90s for locals, trucks, freezer containers, tow-trucks, fire-trucks, forestry vehicles, hard-tops, canvas etc etc. On an average day I probably see 15-20 different Defs, often more. However, very few are owned by Def nutters, so the Defender Wave is rarely responded to, let alone proferred. But it's good to see the selection nonetheless Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #727507 6th Sep 2018 10:01am
Mr Fox

My favourite spot was in Megeve - there was a chap bombing around in a roofless S2, with the body stripped back to bare aluminium. He was either in the middle of a resto or just liked the 'pure' look. Thumbs Up

The sun was shining, he had his shades on and looked as cool as Steve McQueen Mr. Green
Post #727521 6th Sep 2018 11:01am
Grenadier

Maybe he was Steve McQueen? Elvis lives nearby, JFK is running a local bar and the Moon Landing happened just round the corner as well.... Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #727566 6th Sep 2018 2:51pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
More to the point... tell me about these Extreme sandwiches? Shocked Rolling with laughter James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #727567 6th Sep 2018 2:53pm
Grenadier

Everything is 'extreme' in Cham. These sandwiches ski couloirs, jump off rock faces, scale mountains, run hundreds of KMs at a go and spend large dosh on Arc'teryx kit. Honest. Maybe Laughing

Or perhaps they're just 'extremely' average and for what you get 'extremely' expensive? Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #727574 6th Sep 2018 3:06pm
Mr Fox

JOW240725 wrote:
More to the point... tell me about these Extreme sandwiches? Shocked Rolling with laughter

I can tell you the story of the 54.00 Euro Club Sandwich in Megeve... but that is more of a nightmare!
Post #727583 6th Sep 2018 4:07pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Megeve can be expensive if you don't know where to go.

On the upside it has an amazing patisserie which is very fairly priced, so it is actually possible to live on cake.

Which is nice.

Btw that Landy looks like a Pearly King.
Post #727623 6th Sep 2018 6:17pm
Grenadier

Mr Fox wrote:
JOW240725 wrote:
More to the point... tell me about these Extreme sandwiches? Shocked Rolling with laughter

I can tell you the story of the 54.00 Euro Club Sandwich in Megeve... but that is more of a nightmare!

Was that in the Hibou Blanc café? Megeve has its moments, but if you (or Zed) ever come back, I’ll tell you all the best spots to go locally, most of which are centred around St Ger. And depending on the time of year you come, can take you up some great alpine trails as well Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #727662 6th Sep 2018 8:39pm
Mr Fox

Cheer Grenadier, appreciate the offer

I did eat at Hibou Blanc, which was pretty poor imho. We did find a great patisserie but I'm not sure whether it was the one Zed mentions. We also enjoyed the local bakery; which made for a nice, and inexpensive, breakfast.

The 54.00 euro Club Sandwich was at the Four Seasons. What gave me a wry smile was that it made the 26.00 euro Club Sandwich at the hotel I'd just come from in Italy seem like good value! When I first saw that, I thought they were taking the Michael, but the 4S Megeve put pay to that!

There is a good chance I'll be back there next year for a wedding, so may take you up on your kind offer of some local recommendations and perhaps some alpine trails. Thumbs Up
Post #727813 7th Sep 2018 6:37pm
Grenadier

More than welcome. Not been to the 4S yet. Newly opened. The agency I work for has a number of chalets for sale up the road that leads to it which make for pretty eye-watering reading. 10m€, 15m€ etc etc. Lovely road for cycling though, use it (and the road to the airstrip) as a little out ‘n’ back in the evenings.

We like Megeve for being a little different, adding a bit of style to the area, beautiful buildings, charming village etc. But it is expensive, even by Alpine standards, is packed full of very plastic looking poseurs, and (sadly) completely dies inter-season. It is a bit of a bubble.

But if you do come back, winter or summer, do let me know because I can at least ensure that unlike Hibou Blanc (lovely decor, mediocre service, not very good food and expensive), you will get great food, atmosphere and service, sometimes for many shekels, but sometimes for a lot less. And as for trails, no problem, there are many Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #727872 8th Sep 2018 5:04am
Mr Fox

I'll definitely take you up on that.

There was a lot to like about Megeve but I did get tired of the overt wealth flaunting and watching the same genre of people treat those they deemed beneath them with a mixture of disdain and overt rudeness. I will resist turning this into a political conversation but they did seem to be tourists specific to three distinct locations on the globe. In spite of being tourists ourselves, I couldn't help but feel annoyed/frustrated for the locals and the many non-locals working in the service industry. I know it fuels the local economy but as I reminded my children after witnessing one such episode, "manners cost nothing." ...perhaps if they had a designer badge, they'd be more appealing to that demographic Rolling Eyes Wink

As for the Four Seasons, the overall hotel is nice, rooms are excellent but it still feels like they are yet to achieve a cohesive level of service across all areas. Whilst some of the staff are excellent, warm, welcoming and competent; others are frosty and approach their job as something that has been unwelcomely trust upon them... as though they are doing you a favour by being there. It was a very strange mix and felt welcoming in parts and totally not in others. Having just come from a family run hotel in Italy, it was a stark contrast.
Post #727887 8th Sep 2018 8:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1