↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Flipping Useless Parcel Firms
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Flipping Useless Parcel Firms
As Defender owners most of us will mail order parts and accessories all the time. Most parcel firms seem to have got their acts together after quite a bit of bad publicity in the press a few years ago, but one firm seems to go to special lengths to get on my wick. DPD Local, formerly Interlink Express. Their current MO (well, they’ve done it twice so far) is to send me an email saying they couldn’t deliver because no one was home. Only I was home, my door bell works, and my dogs never so much as twitched. They helpfully include a photo of my house to prove they’ve been. Only it’s not my house in the picture! Prior to these cockups, one of their vans knocked my gatepost down because the driver was barely capable of driving.

As well as complaining to DPD Local (and getting stock replies) I’ve taken to writing to whoever sent me the item to explain how this is affecting their customers in the hope they can either change their parcel firm, or put some pressure on from their side. It’s at the point now where I will avoid ordering if I know it’s going to come via DPD Local, who I think are a different outfit from the main DPD company

Anyone else have such trouble? Be interested from the suppliers on here to know whether hearing from your customers about this makes any difference. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #725786 28th Aug 2018 11:31am
CarMan

United Kingdom 
Strange that, DPD failed to collect a parcel from the drop-off last week and the tracking didn't work so took us days to find out Mad Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #725788 28th Aug 2018 11:49am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I guess the high-level view is that it's about price. It's a cut-throat industry, with the cheapest getting the most business, so they cut corners, and the margin just isn't there to provide a good level of service (especially when things don;t go to plan, or are non-standard).

I live in a remote (ish) place, and it infuriates me that they frequently return stuff to depot (many miles away) and re-deliver takes days. So i am faced with a long drive or a long delay (i often use this as a reason to cycle there for the excersize).

Very little consideration for the customer, just about being cheap and competitive on price because that's what sells! Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #725790 28th Aug 2018 11:56am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I agree Martin, but i'm starting to think I'd like the option to have a choice of courier for on line orders. it is common to be able to choose a faster delivery, I'm usually not bothered about that, but I'd like to choose a better company (for a fee). I don't know how you'd rank who is better than who, but maybe the likes of FedEx and Parceforce do better on the whole than these new firms that have srpoung up to captalise on the on line shopping boom. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #725792 28th Aug 2018 12:07pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
i feel your pain. 2 weeks for bits from indespension for a trailer.

zero response from them or their courier. zero tracking updates as the number they used is wrong. zero customer service.

or you could try uk mail which keeps coming up with excuses such as

your not in. well we were all day from 7am till closing time.
we couldn't find your address it must be wrong...well you came 2 days ago and we haven't moved yet.
the van broke down.strange as i saw it pass earlier.
there is a new driver on the route.....and what does that mean?
we will deliver it sat am before 12....no you didn't
and this morning they have no idea where it is but ive just seen the regular van drive past again.

the supplier has great coms and has dealt with it very well but i still dont have any parts. here is this mornings response from the sender.

Thank you for your message.

I do apologise that UK Mail failed to make your delivery over the weekend, this is completely unacceptable and not the level of service we are wanting to provide our customers with.

I have once again advised UK Mail that your delivery needs to be made by a more experienced driver, as the address is correct and that you can be reached on the contact number provided if there any problems.

Your order is due to go back out for delivery on Wednesday 29th August.

Apologies once again for any inconvenience this has caused.

Hope you have a lovely day.

Kind regards,
Post #725793 28th Aug 2018 12:22pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Parcelforce....aarrgghhhh, don’t get me started on these incompetent idiots.
Post #725808 28th Aug 2018 3:08pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Yes, I've had exactly the same with both Hermes and particularly bad Yodel. Both stated 'attempted delivery' despite being an office address which is permanently manned, so they obviously didn't attempt very well.

When Hermes did arrive via our normal very nice lady, she said she had only received the parcel that morning and the 'attempted delivery' was a stock excuse! Banging Head James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #725809 28th Aug 2018 3:20pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The problem with all of these companies is that they're only as good as the local drivers. If your local one is good, i.e. conscientious, helpful, etc. then your experience of the company will be good and visa versa. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #725817 28th Aug 2018 4:04pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Add DX to the list of 'attempted delivery but you were not in'. Multiple deliveries supposedly attempted by them despite me being in and on one occasion even working on the drive!

The photo attached to the tracking is always just a black square which i presume is a thumb over the lens.

These issues come from cheap delivery services who put massive pressure on their couriers to deliver unrealistic amounts of parcels.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #725818 28th Aug 2018 4:07pm
duckworthparts
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
unfortunately its all consumer driven for fast/free delivery - which ultimately means bad service.

They're all as bad as each other in some way https://www.facebook.com/duckworthparts

Send a paypal payment direct using this link www.paypal.me/duckworthparts

www.duckworthparts.co.uk
My Direct Line: 01673 849873
Email: danroberts@duckworthlandrover.co.uk
Supplier of Genuine Land Rover & Jaguar Parts For All Models

Can also supply OEM & Aftermarket parts

Post #725822 28th Aug 2018 4:17pm
bigdave

United Kingdom 
To be honest. like most things in life, you pay for what you get.

Most drivers for the high volume firms are self employed. But in name only.

They get a pittance per drop and penalised for each failed delivery or return.

If you live in a remote are they are more than likely awaiting something else to drop off nearby.

£0.80p per parcel dropped isnt going to pay the bills in a remote location - 10 drops on an industrial estate of course will.

Not to excuse the morons and cant be arsed fraternity of course.

The problem with the mass UK delivery market its often a race to the bottom.

Thumbs Up Shipping is my thing.
If we cant shift it, to anywhere, it cant be shifted!! md.couriers@virgin.net
Post #725823 28th Aug 2018 4:28pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Courier companies are multi million pound businesses. Like any business they are only as good as the people they employ. One bad/useless/lazy/incompetent employee can sour the company reputation in the eyes of individual customer.

There is no such thing as free delivery, surprise, surprise the courier driver wants paying for delivering the parcels. The cost of ‘free delivery’ is just included in the price of the items.

At 4x4overlander we use different courier companies dependent on size/weight of parcel and its final destination. We have never used Yodel/Hermes due to its reputation. We did try UKmail for a while as on the face of it they were about 50p a parcel cheaper then the likes of Fedex/UPS/DPD etc. However we soon found a issue with the likes of UKmail as their drivers are paid per delivery or attempted delivery. Hence it was beneficial to UKmail drivers not to deliver all their daily parcel but to ‘card’ the address (not necessary actually putting a physical card through the door). They would get paid for the attempted delivery and the company sending the consignment got hit with a surcharge so any saving on the cost of sending that parcel out soon disappeared in the surcharges.

May I suggest people try talking to their local courier drivers about the amount of deliveries and collections they do in a day and the hours they work. 100+ deliveries per day plus collections is not unusual.

Brendan
Post #725868 28th Aug 2018 7:11pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
The problem with all of these companies is that they're only as good as the local drivers. If your local one is good, i.e. conscientious, helpful, etc. then your experience of the company will be good and visa versa.

Yep.

Most of mine are pretty good. DHL, Fed ex, Royal Mail and Hermes have always been outstanding but I'm guessing like many things it's a postcode lottery.
Post #725879 28th Aug 2018 7:54pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
DPD have always been excellent for me. To the point where they are my go to courier! 95% of the time my items are delivered except if its due on a Friday afternoon then usually arrives Sat/Mon with the excuse "driver could not locate your address" more like "driver has gone to the pub" Whistle

Shame to hear your issues though I do believe you are correct, I think DPD local is an off shoot of DPD. Similarly to UKMail/DHL Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #725892 28th Aug 2018 8:29pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
In may purchased a set of KBX top vents from "defenderupgrades" on fleabay

A month later i hadn't Received them, so emailed them via their ebay store stating it had not arrived and that i started the process to get a replacement or my money back.

Get a reply, "Delivery was attempted on XX/XX at XX:XX hours, you were not there to take the parcel."

Funnily enough I was Rehanging and painting the front door and fiddling around with the starter motor. The door was open at that time and could have left it inside if he couldn't see me which i doubt he can. I tell them this.

They tell me there should have been a calling card telling me to go to my local post office. Problem is They can send it to my local post office or the other Two "local" POs, or the Romford Depot or Hainault Sorting office.

They gave me a tracking number for F*** knows what, not a royal mail one as advertised, Not A Fedex Ect. Turns out it was just a "Consignment number" that is used internally between Fleabay and seller, so no good to me.

They tell me its Royal Fail second class Signed for, so not even tracked. I ask them to give me this reference which they failed to do.

After two or so weeks of stalemate i sent a stern Email stating that i would be well within my rights to take the complaint further (and thus freeze our Paypal accounts (i doubt they still do this but anyway)), but i was willing to take either a replacement, or cashback and they could claim that it was lost in the royal mail system.

No reply, When it came to the deadline i couldn't actually find the "take this action further" button and the case ended up being closed, loosing my money.

Another time hermes left my parcel in my safe space being a bush to the rear of my house, turns out the driver must have held a hammer throw record as he package taped a handle and lobbed it over my house into the rear gardens knocking down my TV aerial in the process. I Didn't realize until the better half complained that the TV wasn't working....

the worst time is When my "neighbor" forged my signature and took the parcel into her home taking a £400 parcel containing a bespoke monolithic RIS rail for one of my rifles. She had no knowledge that it had been taken into her address and that she signed my name wrong. Luckily the Fabricator who sent it claimed it back on royal mail and sent me out the package next day.

She then had the audacity to try and sell it back to me for £400, needless to say she no longer lived near me after she nicked a macbook pro off someone who just so happens to be the grandson of a renown former east london/Essex Firm member Turned "legitimate businessman" who happens to own a"legitimate" "security and Debt reclamation" business. Who sent "Debt collectors" round her house to repossess the stolen macbook with compensation. that and she went to prison for having enough crack cocaine to make pablo escobar a competitor. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #725941 28th Aug 2018 9:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1