↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > UJ/propshaft knocking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Greeny

England 
UJ/propshaft knocking
Hi there. I have discovered a recent knocking/metalic sound when moving at slow speeds with no throttle. For example when in 3rd or 2nd gear and I back off the throttle or dip the clutch the sound begins to clunk. I have had a look under the car and I can see that the UJ joint near the rear diff has something loose on it. I dont know much at all about UJ's or props so need some help to identify this sound and problem. Photo of the UJ below.

Thanks in advance.

Click image to enlarge
 Instagram - @Land_Rover_Defender
Post #726105 29th Aug 2018 5:47pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
That looks to be on its way out.
It would be a good idea to get the UJ changed before it lets go and causes more damage.
Thumbs Up
Post #726109 29th Aug 2018 5:58pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Those need replacing ASAP, don't delay.

They aren't overly expensive to replace compared to many parts, or alternatively replace the whole prop at cost.

They are very risky to drive with in a poor state, and looking at that it looks like the seal has persihed and the roller bearings have or will fall out shortly!

Hopefully someone else will give their views on it as well.

Worth taking a look at your drive flanges and DM's splines to check they are lubed and not overly worn too.
I had pretty much both at the same time, but hopefully yours is just Prop UJ's. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #726110 29th Aug 2018 6:00pm
Greeny

England 
Thanks for the replies! So you would get onto them right away? Would you replace just that one UJ or all of them? Might be worth while replacing the prop shaft. Instagram - @Land_Rover_Defender
Post #726112 29th Aug 2018 6:01pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Front pair or rear pair, ideally both front and rear prop.

I did both front and rear UJ's on mine but if you need to use it very often you'd need to go easy in 2wd doing one at a time or both UJ's replaced at the same time.
The most work involved is getting the old ones removed.

The faster and easier option is to replace the whole thing but isn't the cheapest!
Many have good results from eBay Hardy Spicer, Genuine are pretty damn expensive.

Usually UJ failiure is caused by lack of greasing.

Where is this one located out of interest?

And yes, it does need sorting ASAP, it'd currently be an MOT fail I'd have thought.

If you did go for doing the UJ's GKN are good, and the same as Genuine IMHO.

I replaced UJ's front and rear on mine, so both were matched up. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #726121 29th Aug 2018 6:34pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I'd do both and replace then with grease able ones - then remember to grease them at every service Exclamation
Post #726128 29th Aug 2018 6:50pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I'd agree with that, ideally more often than that really. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #726131 29th Aug 2018 6:51pm
Greeny

England 
Thanks for the replies! I will replace the UJ's on both the front and rear props for peace of mind.

Thanks Custom90Steve for the recommendations for where to buy them. I will get onto it and order some replacements. Instagram - @Land_Rover_Defender
Post #726149 29th Aug 2018 7:29pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
You’re welcome. Blackwolf on here pointed me in the right direction originally regarding GKN HD UJ’s.
They are good, and greasable is definitely the way to go.
I use Castrol High temp lithium grease, but everyone has their favourites.
The UJ replacement I done on mine transformed it along with other DM work required. If you use the search box on here there will be other posts here from when I done mine. Blackwolf had some valuable information he discussed with me such as use reference marks between yolk and flange etc etc.
Any issues, post up on here and somone will be able to help. πŸ‘πŸ» Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #726158 29th Aug 2018 8:05pm
Greeny

England 
Thanks, would you do both the rear and front UJs? The rear is the problem but I am tempted to do both. Instagram - @Land_Rover_Defender
Post #726160 29th Aug 2018 8:07pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
Check them for play. If you feel any play change them, otherwise grease them and check if you see signs of grease at all 4 bearings at each UJ. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #726177 29th Aug 2018 8:51pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
All 4 UJ’s are best replaced really even if no obvious sign of wear and you won’t need to touch them replacement wise for the longest period. Especially if kept greased every 6 months / yearly.

The trouble is if you replace both UJs on the rear prop and leave the front the front may begin to fail in the near future.
Much the same scenario as I had, front didn’t seem to have any problem but the rear did. I replaced all four UJ’s regardless so it’ll be a job finished for a long time except for regular greasing. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #726183 29th Aug 2018 9:03pm
Maxxed_Ross

Scotland 2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Cobar Blue
you can dive on a failed UJ, but it's not fun Laughing

I had one start to let go when driving to Fort William. Started as a slight knock as you describe and by the time I got to the camp site it was a proper bang every time it loaded / unloaded.

Short version of the story the Green Flag were going to PROPERLY bend me over to recover it because of where I was. The decision was taken to try and drive it as far south as I could. keeping it below 40 mph I managed to limp it all the way back to Lix Toll garage (105 miles away!) without it failing totally... but it was the most nerve wracking drive I've ever done and it totally wrecked the drive ends.

Saying that the replacement complete shaft was still a fraction of what the recovery fee was going to be Laughing

I echo what has been said already though. I have the greasable GKN UJs now and service them every 6 months with a single shot of grease. Well looked after they'll last much longer than the standard ones 2013 Discovery 4 HSE Lux | 2001 Defender 90 TD5 | 2007 Prodrive RB320
Post #726214 30th Aug 2018 5:56am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Hey up Jonny, I've only skim read the thread, so not sure if it's been said.

On flat ground and safe, (chock wheels but leave a few inches space) so it can't roll off.
Take your handbrake off and in neutral. This will take all load off the props, then get underneath and try move the props at the ends, they should be solid, worn uj's will noticeably have play.

It's not essential to replace all uj's, but if you like 'cost no object maintenance' then it makes sense.

A whole new prop could be cheaper to replace yourself, than getting a garage to replace your uj's.

A prop can be taken off with 2 X 9/16" spanners in around 20 minutes, so not a big job.

Shame you're not closer as I love doing uj's, very satisfying.

Also, by coincidence of discovering the uj's.. the clunk could be worn radius arm/chassis bushes worn. So when it's set up as above on flat ground etc, grab your rear wheel and move back n forward rigorously, checking the bush, any front rear movement will show wear.
Post #726216 30th Aug 2018 7:03am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Maxxed_Ross wrote:
you can dive on a failed UJ, but it's not fun Laughing

A word of caution on this. It is entirely possible if you continue to drive with a "failed" UJ that at some stage the joint or propshaft yokes will fail completely, and when that happens the best case scenario is that there will be significant collateral damage as the propshaft flails around. Worst case is the leading end of the propshaft lets go, digs in the ground, and either rips the gearbox off its mounts, the axle off its mounts, flips the vehicle, or causes a significant loss of control. Whatever happens the risk of a major repair bill increases enormously.

At this point the Fun Police would also probably point out that if you knowingly drive with a failed UJ you are (a) breaking the law by driving an unroadworthy vehicle and (b) consequently invalidating your insurance.

It really isn't a good idea except in an emergency. if it is failing, change it. It takes less than an hour to change both UJs in one propshaft (or all three in the case of a DC front prop).
Post #726226 30th Aug 2018 8:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>