Home > Td5 > Air Vent hinge pin removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
Air Vent hinge pin removal
Hi all,
Got an annoying problem. The NSF air vent at the front of Effie our 110 was so seized up that opening the vent caused the hinge on the flap to bend with the result that the top rhs corner not rubs against the bodywork and doesn't close properly.

I've disconnected the vent and applied copious quantities of plus gas and wd 40 and the flap now moves quite freely. I can also move the vlap sideways slightly so I know its free on the hinge pin.

The the problem is that I still can't get the hinge pin out. Been using a drift on either end of the threaded pin( nut still on so I don't damage the threads) and the damn thing won't move. Tried long nosed pliers on one end as well and still no go.

Next thought was to hacksaw through the pin between the 2 flap hinges, but theres not that much room there. Also , the OSF hinge, although working seems to have the same problem with the pin ... just won't move. There's not some sort of latch on the original pins is there? the SS replacement pins I've got don't seem to have any.

Rgds
Alex Santa - 1977 Series 3 - new chassis, tub, disc brakes,SU Carb
Gertie - 1999 110 TD5 - like a Phoenix from the ashes back on road... almost
Effie - 2004 110 TD5 County
Post #724331 20th Aug 2018 10:25am
shayes

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Coniston Green
Hi,
When I swapped the pins for s/s ones I found that the original pins were really rusty, not allowing the vents to move freely.
I applied copious amounts of freeing up lubricants then got a pair of bull nose pliers on the ends and wiggled them about to free them up. I then pulled them out towards the washer jet (there was not enough room going the other way.
They didn't have anything stopping them coming out, like latchs etc. It will just be years of rubbish/rust seizing the pins into the vent pin holders.
Got into some strange positions up on a step ladder, at the side of the rover, to enable the removal though!!.
Good luck.
Cheers, Simon Very Happy Thumbs Up
Post #724339 20th Aug 2018 11:46am
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
Yeah, I took off the NS Windscreen mount ( sanded and lacquered it) to get enough room to try and drift out the pin.

You do get some funny looks from passers by when you're spread eagled across the bonnet fighting with stuff though Smile

o.k. I'll get some mole grips onto the end of the pin and see if I can pull it out. Given that the damn thing ain't moving at the moment, don't need to worry about damaging the threads
thx
A Santa - 1977 Series 3 - new chassis, tub, disc brakes,SU Carb
Gertie - 1999 110 TD5 - like a Phoenix from the ashes back on road... almost
Effie - 2004 110 TD5 County
Post #724355 20th Aug 2018 1:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1