Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Noiseydave

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Santorini Black
110 P38 final drive drain plug swarf

Click image to enlarge

Hi

Had a rebuilt diff with ATB fitted 6 months ago, did an oil change to find swarf on the magnetic drain plug. Pic attached, any thoights or comments on the amount of material, if this is normal or any action that should be taken

Dave
Post #723158 13th Aug 2018 5:16am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Id say mileage is more important than months and that you will always get some swarf after a rebuild, (did the old one fail or was it an upgrade,) change oil and monitor, keep the photos in case it fails after the 12 month warranty.

I have 2 ATBs with around 2500 and 1500 miles on them, I also have magnet (fill) plugs, I will pull the plugs and see what I have swarf wise on them as a comparison. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #723160 13th Aug 2018 6:27am
Noiseydave

I had backlash so got it refurbed at Ashcroft. Mileage is just under 1500. I changed the oil and will keep an eye on it.
Post #723164 13th Aug 2018 7:45am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have found that the one weakness of an ATB is that the centres of the side gears (where the halfshaft splines are) and the void between the side gears (where the preload disk spring pack) is located are not very well lubricated. I have lost two ATBs (one front, one rear) through fretting in this area, admittedly over a very high mileage, and on at least one occasion exacerbated by water ingress.

I think also that the choice of oil may make a difference (I now 75W90 EP in the hope that the thinner oil better reaches the parts that a straight EP90 perhaps doesn't), and I also wonder whether sustained, long distance, constant-speed running (eg motorway driving) tends to eject lubricant from the core.

it is equally possible that both my failures are due to entirely different reasons such as water/dirt ingress and my theories are piffle.

I would be inclined to pull a halfshaft and inspect the inboard end. If the inboard end is in good condition, and oily with clean oil, then there is probably no problem. If the inboard end is either worn or covered in something that looks more like valve grinding paste, then I would drop the diff out and inspect it. You can also look along inside the axle tube with the halfshaft out and get some idea of the state of the diff centre, but you will need a torch small enough to shine up thestub axle and see past.

ATBs are generally not serviceable because the internal parts are not available, only complete built up units. This is a shame since I have two sat in my garage which just need new side gears and preload spring packs! Big Cry
Post #723176 13th Aug 2018 9:33am
Noiseydave

Thanks Blackwolf

I will pull the shafts and have a look. There still a bit of backlash so i am inclined to think it is the crown and pinion
Post #723212 13th Aug 2018 1:21pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
perhaps Ashcrofts will comment DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #723252 13th Aug 2018 4:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1