↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Which Diagnostic tool these days?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
johnnyd

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Which Diagnostic tool these days?
Hi All

Given the starting issues I am having currently with the 2.4 Puma, which is the cheapest diag tool that will allow me to disable the immobiliser in an emergency, being stranded in France with wife and dog was not at all funny.....

Will one of these work out of interest?

https://www.fixdapp.com

Thanks

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #722870 11th Aug 2018 3:23pm
sewin elwy

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hi,
Having several makes of car I wanted one that would achieve a good range of vehicles. I eventually decided on the icarsoft multi, its only slightly more expensive than the individual manufacturers option and it has a great level of interactive facilities.

I checked all three vehicles I owned when it arrived and cleared all logged fault codes which removed all driving restrictions from the management systems.

First job it helped me with was on my BMW 1 series. the brake warning, ESP and antilock brake warnings were all light up. had just taken, well limped the car into BMW and they told me a repair was in the region of £1300. I asked them what the problems were and they wouldn't tell me, giving just dismissive answers with words like module, sensors and complete replacement of drive shaft/ shafts.

Plugged in the icarsoft...... antilock brake problem to rear left sensor system. inspection showed sensor fouling reluctor ring.

Checked sensor,,,,ok checked ring.......distorted
Drive shaft out and removed ring, cleaned drive shaft and fitted new reluctor ring, problem solved, removed fault codes.

Total work time.... 2 hours on the drive!
Cost of reluctor ring..... £6.25
Cost of icarsoft.............£180.00
including lifetime upgrades and a 2 year warrantee!

Hey.... i'm now a BMW mechanic, at least i fixed it and in my experience regardless of what they charge you ..... they can't.
Post #723005 12th Aug 2018 11:42am
johnnyd

I guess I should have said..... I need a diagnostic tool that will allow me to do two things, disable the immobiliser when this happens again, and reprogram a key fob, one has been in the drawer for years and has a flat battery now, so is not linked to the truck any more. I see the nanocom can programme the fob, but I am not sure it can disable the immobiliser........

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #723162 13th Aug 2018 6:28am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I know nothing about the one you have linked to, I am afraid, but unless my memory is worse than I thought (entirely possible!) I have used my Nanocom to disable to passive immobiliser in the past when I was having starting issues.

Disabling PI usually massively improves the starting reliability of a Puma.
Post #723178 13th Aug 2018 8:37am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I expect that cheap tool is just an OBD code reader, it's unlikely it'll allow programming the immobiliser.

I would recommend an IID tool from GAP diagnostics. I used mine with my old L322 and then had it changed over to the Defender when I got that, it basically gives full dealer level diagnostics via a smartphone and it's only a small dongle that attaches to the OBD port.
Post #723206 13th Aug 2018 12:05pm
zsd-puma

Quote:
one has been in the drawer for years and has a flat battery now, so is not linked to the truck any more

Just fit a new battery then press the unlock button half a dozen times and it should work - it just needs the rolling code to be resynchronised and pressing the button on it a few times does this. The only reason it wont is if the car has had new keys programmed to it at some point and the one with the flat battery wasn't present.
Post #723207 13th Aug 2018 12:08pm
johnnyd

Will the IID tool let me reprogram the old fob with the flat battery, and allow me to switch the AS10 to passive mode? Looking at either that one, or the nanocom, I had a nanocom a few years ago and sold it on here lol.....BBS won't give me 10% of a new one either, so I might go IID this time.

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #723211 13th Aug 2018 12:18pm
zsd-puma

You shouldn't need to reprogram the old fob, just fit a new battery, stand next to the car and press the unlock button half a dozen times. Job done. Wink

But yes the IID tool gives you full dealer level diagnostics. You can do everything with it.
Post #723342 13th Aug 2018 11:48pm
johnnyd

My IID tool is on its way....nanocom wouldn’t give me a discount on a second device after I sold the first one, so time for a change Very Happy 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #723839 16th Aug 2018 4:33pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Depends what you what to spend and what you want to be able to do. Any professional you will find most likely has Autologic, you can pick them up second hand for around 2k, but there is a yearly charge. I don’t know if Autel or Launch will do security on a Defender, but it will cover many different makes and model and are about the best for the price. You can also buy IDS or an IDS clone cheaply, but you need to be careful with Chinese copies! You could maybe do it with a J-box programmer and just subscribe to Land Rover daily or weekly when you need to use it.
Post #724723 21st Aug 2018 10:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1