↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Autocar article on new Defender £40,000 starting price!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
I believe that picture is rubbish, but if it isn't, that will be a massive win for current Defender owners both in enjoyment & the vehicle's appreciation, as it will then be known that nothing like a real Defender will be built by JLR again.
And that is why I reckon that pic is rubbish, because I believe that when the "New" Defender arrives, whenever that is, it will be good, very good indeed.
Pickles.
Post #722413 8th Aug 2018 11:20pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Lets face it what ever they come out with wont impress us Defender enthusiasts. Because no modern car can be built to be like an original Defender, if the manufacturer actually wants to be able to sell the thing as a road vehicle anywhere in the developed world.
Even the billionaire who wants to make his own, admitted "it will have to look different to an original Defender".

It seems obvious Land Rover are going to pitch the new one against the Jeep Wrangler - there's a lot more profit in it than the original. It's likely the Autocar artists impressions can be taken with a pinch of salt, I expect like the Wrangler the new Defender will take a couple of styling cues from the original, round headlamps and a prominent grille for example. We may even see some sort of bonnet pressing that looks like a traditional tapered bonnet, but isn't.

In terms of being pitched as a 'hardcore off roader' to be honest most of the current Land Rover products with the exception of the Evoque/D. Sport, can wipe the floor with an original Defender off road on a like for like basis, the only advantage the Defender has is the greater availability of more aggressive tyres. Keeping the 16" wheels on the new Defender should be relatively easy.
Post #722418 9th Aug 2018 12:07am
oneten110

United Kingdom 
Read an article, about ooh 1,000 years ago. That the Defender replacement was going to have the same size wheel/tyre and PCD as the Toyota hilux thingy, thus broadening the range of available wheels/tyres in remote areas.

And here is Land Rover busy telling everybody this is what we were capable of, once.

Post #722466 9th Aug 2018 10:13am
markalpha

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
JLR target market. Premium Durability. They’ll just need to sell half the village to buy a new one.
Post #722471 9th Aug 2018 10:40am
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
To be fair most of the modern retro cars of the old classics like the mini, Fiat 500, beetle, wrangler, g class have all kept some heritage in their design. I'd be very surprised if Land Rover keep nothing like the original especially after a this heritage pr they're putting out
Post #722472 9th Aug 2018 10:41am
HK07

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
Hk07
/\ Totally agree with that. I think we have a pleasant surprise ahead of us.

Yes it will be complex, and no it won't be cheap, but I think it will be good.

It's just such a shame they didn't keep the old one going in some way shape or form. But as someone said earlier, most of us on here are not their target market.

They have made a massive success of the company, it's just business. 2007 90 Puma - Love it - Best car I have ever owned.

1989 Ninety 200tdi - Love it - Second best car I have ever owned.

1951 80" Series 1 - Love it - Third best car I have ever owned.
Post #722483 9th Aug 2018 12:30pm
cozz

makes me want to put a deposit on a new jimny, cos it looks great, a good design change connected with its own heritage - which I can't see in the new defender at all
Post #722580 9th Aug 2018 9:04pm
Slideywindows

England 
Over 70 years, Rover, Land Rover and JLR haven't launched too many lemons.

I don't expect them to start now.

However, technical complexity and price will probably keep my type of owner away.

I'm not sure they'll care.

In the meantime there is no point in fretting.

I won't comment on the new Defender until I actually see it in the metal - from JLR.
Post #722587 9th Aug 2018 9:19pm
zsd-puma

cozz wrote:
makes me want to put a deposit on a new jimny, cos it looks great, a good design change connected with its own heritage - which I can't see in the new defender at all

How do you know? Have you seen the new Defender? All we see in this article is Autocar's artist impression, based on little more than speculation from what they've gleaned from a heavily camouflaged test mule. Test mules often have plastic mouldings stuck on them to disguise their shape as well as having the dazzle pattern camo.
Post #722588 9th Aug 2018 9:31pm
zsd-puma

Quote:
However, technical complexity and price will probably keep my type of owner away.

Exactly, just like they don't care that you or I aren't interested in buying an Evoque, because there are literally hundreds of thousands of other people who are interested in buying one.
Post #722590 9th Aug 2018 9:34pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Personally I think the article was to sell more copies of autocar then actually providing real facts, why would LR give insights to a launch 2 years away? Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #722597 9th Aug 2018 10:11pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Yep. Probably a slow news week.
Post #722600 9th Aug 2018 10:27pm
zsd-puma

Muddybigdog wrote:
Personally I think the article was to sell more copies of autocar then actually providing real facts, why would LR give insights to a launch 2 years away?

Chances are they have a contact who works there and they've acquired a few snippets of inside information rather than Land Rover giving insights officially. The expected price is something that Land Rover might give out, but that's probably about all. Naturally their contact is risking their job and possibly even legal action by giving away too much, so the snippets they get are generally very insignificant bits of info, because their source can't say anything that would be easily traced back to them.
Post #722612 10th Aug 2018 12:28am
Vintagepaul

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Muddybigdog wrote:
Personally I think the article was to sell more copies of autocar then actually providing real facts, why would LR give insights to a launch 2 years away?

Manufacturers will often 'leak' information on forthcoming models to raise interest and keep the brand/model in the public eye.

Also, if this articles information has come from JLR is it not a clever way of telling us that we won't see the new Defender now until 2020, not 2018/19 as previously implied? 2015 Defender 90XS HT
Post #722619 10th Aug 2018 6:45am
oneten110

United Kingdom 
Slideywindows wrote:

It is true, the enthusiast market is a vanishingly small proportion of the sales for new vehicles.
Post #722623 10th Aug 2018 7:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>