↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2009 tdci intermittent underboost and limp mode
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
mata

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
2009 tdci intermittent underboost and limp mode
My 110 utility wagon has had an intermittent issue with going into limp mode and throwing an EML for a turbocharger underboost condition (P0299-00 code). It first did it back in February whilst drive by up to Scotland on some big hills on the m74. After a cursory check all seemed well again until the following month doing the same joirney where limp mode happened within a few miles of the previous time, following the same big hills on the m74. Driving steady got me home with a few ignition cycles to reset the limp mode when it had occurred, usually after a bit of a hill where the engine had been working fairly hard for a sustained period of time.

My mechanic did a smoke test of the air intake system, and fitted a new MAP sensor. Visual check of boost pipes was apparently ok, as was turbo actuator wiring although my VIN falls after the recall range for the repair loom.

All was well for a few months, the car was whalloped over the snake pass on a few occasions and did a few 1hr motorway runs without issue so I assumed all was well.

Unfortunately this week on the way to the ferry for a family holiday , fully laiden with bikes, roof tent, camping gear etc I had the dreaded limp mode once more about an hour and a half after setting off from home. Long story short we had a hideous 22 hour recovery back home the next day and missed the ferry. I fitted a new MAF the next morning and we’re now touring Yorkshire (and very nice it is, minus the pastries for breakfast).

Today the landy informed me that all was still not well and we had a bit of myther with the same old symptoms, steady driving slowing down for the hills and trying to keep demand on power and boost as low as possible get us where we need to go but it’s definitely shagged.

Does anybody have any suggestions what to try next?

Perhaps worth noting is its superchips bluefin remap with included K and N panel filter. Other than that it’s mechanically standard and well looked after in spite of its 140k Miles.

Thank you
Post #721590 5th Aug 2018 5:27pm
lost gringo

Chile 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Baltic Blue
i had similar issues with a 2.2 and the last thing i did was use carb cleaner and a q-tip to clean the MAP sensor. thats the one just at the injection module. did not have the same code you mention tho.
Post #721594 5th Aug 2018 6:10pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
So it only does it after a prolonged, 30s+ demand of boost? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #721602 5th Aug 2018 7:27pm
mata

lost gringo wrote:
i had similar issues with a 2.2 and the last thing i did was use carb cleaner and a q-tip to clean the MAP sensor. thats the one just at the injection module. did not have the same code you mention tho.

You can drive it for a good hour from cold but once it’s gotten hot enough and been driven hard enough to go into limp, then been reset with a power cycle you can probably get it back into limp mode with less than ten seconds of WOT / full boost. This is with the car heavily laiden, like I said, previous months have been completely fault free with some very hard driving, just nothing sustained for more than an hour to an hour and a half
Post #721605 5th Aug 2018 8:15pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
not sure what the code relates to but just wondering;
how many miles have you done,
do you have a remap / egr delete,
how do you generally drive - gently or quite hard

reason for above is I'm wondering if the turbo vanes are clogged / stiff and therefore not doing what it should.

don't recall too many on here but I've had a new turbo for this reason and put it down to driving too slowly in the early years and before the egr delete.
Post #721651 6th Aug 2018 8:04am
mata

As stated it’s on 140k Miles, has a superchips bluefin remap and has the superchips supplied k and n panel filter.

I’d forgotten to mention until you reminded me, it has a partial egr blank off - a plate with a hole in it. I was on my third egr when the chucka chucka started to sound ill so had my mechanic fit a genuine Landrover egr along with the plate to try and extend its life as much as possible. I wouldn’t have thought this could be related but then the more I read the more I hear of engine management faults being caused by all manner of things...?

It’s generally driven quite hard, as if it were a car, which it isn’t. I’ve heard of the turbo vein actuator are becoming loose causing problems and this was something my mechanic noticed but said he’d seen them like that before and didn’t suggest attending to it.
Post #721669 6th Aug 2018 8:53am
Caterham

sorry didn't read the last bit.

just wondering how long you've owned it and driven it quite hard?
could the turbo vain / actuator has become a little blocked before you became the owner?

I believe it's not difficult to disconnect the actuator and feel if it's free moving. the other one of course that might be worth looking at is some of the earlier 2.4s suffered with turbo actuator wiring loom issues. the loom is too tight as it passes over the a/c condenser - does yours have a/c
Post #721671 6th Aug 2018 8:59am
mata

No problem, I’ve very grateful for your suggestions, I’ll have a look at the actuator in that case.

The car was one owner with 106k largely motorway miles I was told when I bought it off Twisted who’d taken it in part-ex. No reason to believe otherwise as it really didn’t show its miles and the logbook confirmed the previous owner had it from new.

I’ve read of the actuator wiring but not examined it as my VIN falls after the recall window. Yes it has AC so shall also unpick the loom and look for damage.
Post #721672 6th Aug 2018 9:08am
Caterham

good luck.
not suggesting any of this is related to the fault code but if nothing else hopefully areas that can be eliminated. Thumbs Up
Post #721675 6th Aug 2018 9:11am
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Underboost usually points to Actuator problem,

I’ve had a few repaired over the last couple of years by these guys,

http://www.ecutesting.com/ecu_testing__exchange___repair.html

Great service, and really quick. Bow down 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #721679 6th Aug 2018 9:24am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
so over 30s at full boost cold and it doesnt do it but 30s full boost when hot and it does? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #721700 6th Aug 2018 11:18am
mata

Thanks Ian. I had a look at their website and they have a whole section on Freelander turbo actuators but no mention of them in HE Defender section, I’ll give them a call.

When you say you’ve had a couple rebuilt recently, when and what faults and were the cars exhibiting? Anything like I am experiencing only when hot / after sustained high demand driving?

Mat
Post #721702 6th Aug 2018 11:21am
ian series 1

Use the Ford section,
I had a Transit in just before Christmas, symptoms were the same as yours p0299,
I spent quite a few hours on it before fitting a good used turbo to see what happened? Problem solved!
There was nothing wrong with the turbo itself , so suspected the actuator?

It was Sent off for testing, the pcb had suffered some form of heat damage?
It’s been fine since that.

I had another one done as it had some bad pins on the pcb, where the plug fitted,
That was a very intermittent fault, and took some finding!😡 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #721720 6th Aug 2018 1:01pm
ian series 1

Taken from their web page...

Send your own unit for rebuild
£165.00 (Excludes VAT @ 20%) Return Shipping£8.90 Turnaround time1 - 2 working days Programmingsee details Rebuild Detailsfull details Get Yours Rebuilt
PRODUCT INFORMATION

Part Numbers: VM No: 767649 / G-59 / G59 OEM No: 6NW009550 / 6NW 009 550 Vehicle Details: MakeFord ModelTRANSIT Engine Size2.2 SpecificationTDCi Year2012 - 2016 Common Faults: Ford Transit power loss and hesitation is often attributed to a fault turbo actuator. When using scan tools on the vehicle fault codes may be found for turbo boost control malfunction. These issues may begin intermittently but will gradually worsen into a permanent state. If I purchase this will it cure my fault? Warranty: Lifetime Warranty*, unlimited mileage Product Code: TUA550G59 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #721731 6th Aug 2018 2:01pm
mata

I’ve spoken to them twice trying to ascertain if this is the same for the 2.4 engine and have been told I I need to find the part number on the actuator when I get back to the car.

Do you know if the turbo and actuator are the same on the 2.2 and 2.4?
Post #721733 6th Aug 2018 2:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>