↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Police Officer....well read this and weep.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Paulv8

1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Alpine White
Police Officer....well read this and weep.
Post #719747 25th Jul 2018 9:34pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Over zealous approach by the Policeman Shocked 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #719750 25th Jul 2018 9:51pm
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
Interesting reading & on the evidence presented I would find any excuse I could to remove him from his job.
He certainly seems to have issues.
Blood bikes provide a very real & essential service and they should be afforded respect whilst going about their business
Guy May your life be like toilet paper ; long & useful.
Post #719751 25th Jul 2018 10:00pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
It is not only that particular police officer who needs taking to task but his superiors and the CPS for taking this to court. I seem to recall that either a blood bike or human organ transplant bike was done for speeding under blue lights a few years ago. Yes the speed limit was exceeded but the roads were quite II.RC it was early hours of the morning. That case was also thrown out.

My opinion if a vehicle using genuine blue lights under genuine emergency conditions if they exceed the speed limit safely so be it. However if they drive in a dangerous manner and are the cause of a collision then they must be prepared to face the consequences.

Brendan
Post #719756 25th Jul 2018 11:07pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Whilst I am in awe of the very kind people who volunteer their time and energy, Why is it down to volunteers to perform this function? Surely moving blood, equipment and organs around should be part of the core NHS services - it’s all a bit sh..
Post #719763 26th Jul 2018 5:25am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Oooh wouldn't fate have been great if the blood was destined for someone that the PC knew or was related to, and in holding up the bike, said person died.
Post #719767 26th Jul 2018 6:16am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
as always I expect that there is more to this than meets the eye, as there has always been a grey area with the use of blues and twos by the support services such as the coast guard/first responders/blood bikes/RNLI etc..

From my memory - Each county has its own standard for the use of B&2s and what training is needed, when its acceptable and how authorisation is given.
In the past in Cornwall a person made a replica ambulance first responder car and used to go over the taymar bridge with the blues on ... he was eventually picked up by keen eyed toll booth attendant and prosecuted.

With Devon and Cornwall 4x4 response we have an agreement to help transport the rider and their package in times of poor weather/road conditions but have to drive with in the letter of the law (as well as to the road conditions !)

this is a silly case and glad that common sense prevailed ! Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #719771 26th Jul 2018 6:49am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Now I do not really know the laws surrounding the fittment and use of blue lights. I do understand that say ex military/historic ambulances need their blue lights either covering up or removing from the vehicle whilst on the public highway.

I wonder if that particular copper would do a fire engine or an ambulance travelling at say 25 mph under blues and twos in a 20 mph zone.

Since the blood bike was travelling under authorisation to use blues and twos, I wonder if that copper had authorisation to exceed the speed limit (105mph) and use blues and twos under that situation?

As said previously I think that the copper superiors and the CPS need taking to task for bringing a senseless prosecution wasting the taxpayers money.

Now is it an urban myth that a London traffic warden gave a fire engine a parking ticket for parking on double yellows whilst actively engaged in fighting a fire?

Brendan
Post #719772 26th Jul 2018 6:54am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
You may be thinking of this case? It wasn't in London and the crew weren't fighting a fire but they were on duty.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-44042536

bpman wrote:
Whilst I am in awe of the very kind people who volunteer their time and energy, Why is it down to volunteers to perform this function? Surely moving blood, equipment and organs around should be part of the core NHS services - it’s all a bit sh..

I'm just guessing but it may be one of those niche activities that just don't warrant a full time service. Much like 4x4 Response. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #719778 26th Jul 2018 7:21am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Assuming that the linked web article is reporting accurately (it given that it it not the Daily Mail there is a very good chance that it is), it would be rather pleasing if the policeman was himself prosecuted for something like crossing solid white line while pursuing a criminal, thus getting a taste of his own medicine except legitimately.

It is, on the face of it, very difficult to comprehend what rationale was in his mind for this action, and it is hard to avoid the conclusion that it was some kind of personal vendetta. If so, he does not have the right disposition to be a police officer and should be sacked without further ado.
Post #719794 26th Jul 2018 8:47am
simon67

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
Blackwolf

Reads like he has exactly the right personality for a police officer and in the perfect job
Post #719796 26th Jul 2018 8:51am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
From what i remember:

Vehicles used for transport of organs/tissue for transplant are permitted to have blue lights and sirens, but are permitted some exemption to speed.

But even if he was guilty of the "crime" the defence of necessity could be used in order to excuse the guilty party of any punishment. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #719800 26th Jul 2018 9:24am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
The use of Blue light and two tones does not give the driver/rider permission to break any part Road Traffic Act. The use of excess speed by the driver/rider has to be justified as not a case of get there at all costs as fast as you can.

I know of cases were Police, Ambulance and fire personnel have been prosecuted for the use of excess speed while running with Blues and two tones, they had not been involved accidents but there use of excess speed had caused other to be. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #719930 27th Jul 2018 8:21am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
the rider should have simply said he was gay and being discriminated against (or something similar) and it perhaps would have saved a lot of time and expense. he'd probably have got an apology and a new bike?
Post #719933 27th Jul 2018 8:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1