Home > Puma (Tdci) > Depress clutch to start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bergos

Portugal 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Depress clutch to start
Hi.
Has anybody modified the Def in the way that depressing the clutch is necessary to start the engine, like in the USDM cars?
Or maybe it has been implemented in the Defenders sold (long, long time ago) to the US market and there is a plug and play kit available? Bergos

LR Defender 110 HT 2007 (2.4 Puma)
https://www.facebook.com/LR.Wanderlust/
Post #718964 21st Jul 2018 7:25pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Shouldn't be too difficult to do by fitting a relay to the clutch switch, so it inhibits the starter. But why bother?

If your clutch hydraulics fail you wont be able to start it in gear to move it.

You could also do the same with the brake pedal if you wanted. Either individually or so you have to press both to start.
Post #719032 22nd Jul 2018 5:13am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
On some new Transit vans you have to press the clutch and brake. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #719052 22nd Jul 2018 9:39am
zsd-puma

its mainly on vehicles with stop/start I think.
Post #719061 22nd Jul 2018 10:52am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I have never had a vehicle which requires the clutch to be depressed before starting, but I do this as a matter of habit.

I’m not sure why I do this? It might have been my driving instructor telling me? He also had a bit of a thing about depressing the button on the handbrake when pulling it on (he didn’t like the sound of the ratchet). Maybe he was very OCD? Both habits of stuck with me thirty odd years latter. Maybe I am very OCD - cue the current Mrs Rashers - she stands in Supermarkets rearranging the tins so the labels all face forward Rolling Eyes
Post #719069 22nd Jul 2018 12:01pm
Bergos

Portugal 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
This is standard in all cars sold in US.
Yep, the ability to move the car by means of the starter motor is something to consider. It could be a lifesaver.

Why should we always depress the clutch when starting (or stopping) the engine?
1. It saves your clutch disc and the flywheel.
2. If you disconnect the gearbox it's easier (in terms of physics) to start the engine, so you will use less power end give less stress to the starter motor.
3. In case you left your car in gear it will prevent making a forward/backward jump which could crate damage both to cars or people/animals etc. Bergos

LR Defender 110 HT 2007 (2.4 Puma)
https://www.facebook.com/LR.Wanderlust/
Post #719078 22nd Jul 2018 2:05pm
zsd-puma

Teaching people to press the clutch down to start stems from when cars had poor electrical systems and by pressing the clutch you were, in theory, helping out the starter and battery by taking away the load of the transmission. It's like parking with the car in gear, Or using the gearbox to slow down on cars with drum brakes all around. Because most cars used to have poor brakes.

Thankfully modern cars are over braked and generally have much more resilient electrical systems. It just depends on when your instructor learned to drive. I would think it's almost impossible to get a modern cars brakes to fade, most have quite large vented discs on them. You might do it with a heavy caravan and a fully loaded car, but even then you'd have to deliberately try.

I never really understood the point of pressing the handbrake button in though. Supposedly it was for vehicle sympathy reasons and prevented the handbrake pawl from wearing. But I've never known a car to have a handbrake pawl wear out, even on fleet vehicles that had done a couple of hundred thousand miles with little sympathy given.
Post #719082 22nd Jul 2018 2:14pm
zsd-puma

Bergos wrote:
This is standard in all cars sold in US.
Yep, the ability to move the car by means of the starter motor is something to consider. It could be a lifesaver.

Why should we always depress the clutch when starting (or stopping) the engine?
1. It saves your clutch disc and the flywheel.
2. If you disconnect the gearbox it's easier (in terms of physics) to start the engine, so you will use less power end give less stress to the starter motor.
3. In case you left your car in gear it will prevent making a forward/backward jump which could crate damage both to cars or people/animals etc.

1. It wont make any difference to the clutch or flywheel. The starter acts directly onto the flywheel anyway. And the load on the clutch plate is minimal - Puma clutches can be weak but they're not 'that' weak. (nb. No DMF on a Puma)
2. This is true in theory and goes back to my reply to Rashers above, but given the size of the starter and battery on a Defender it'll make little if any difference.
3. I routinely wiggle the gearstick to check it's in neutral before starting the engine. Even if you do crank it with it in gear, if you have the handbrake on it wont make the car move far enough to damage anything - it will put load on the starter and clutch but unless you're extremely forgetful, then the rare occasion that it happens wont be enough to cause any lasting damage.

On the flip side depressing the clutch to start every time has the potential to increase wear on the thrust bearing (with it's concentric slave cylinder) and wear the ends of the fingers on the clutch pressure plate.

I think it's included as a feature on some new cars, because it allows the manufacturer to specify a smaller (lighter) battery and smaller (lighter) starter - which reduces cost and weight in the quest for greater fuel economy.
Post #719083 22nd Jul 2018 2:26pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
So here's an interesting question !!

Is the load on the engine caused by the drag from the gearbox in neutral actually greater than if you push your foot on the clutch?

We all know how heavy the Defender clutch pedal is, and the force from the concentric slave cylinder must be acting on the clutch housing which in turn is rotating with the flywheel.

Or am I talking nonsense?
Post #719106 22nd Jul 2018 3:40pm
zsd-puma

There will be a certain amount of drag from the thrust bearing. There probably isn't a huge amount of difference from the gearbox rotating and rotating the loaded thrust bearing. Unless the clutch is really badly adjusted somehow. It was a bigger problem in the days of 6 volt electrics.

However the gearbox bearings are lubricated with gear oil, the thrust bearing only relies on the small amount of grease it contains. So the thrust bearing will fail before the gearbox bearings do.
Post #719141 22nd Jul 2018 7:35pm
Alien

Australia 
Re: Depress clutch to start
Bergos wrote:
Hi.
Has anybody modified the Def in the way that depressing the clutch is necessary to start the engine, like in the USDM cars?
Or maybe it has been implemented in the Defenders sold (long, long time ago) to the US market and there is a plug and play kit available?

I'd be reluctant to do this to any off road vehicle as you wont be able to key start if it stalls when in steep terrain.
A hidden switch on the starter input would be more effective IMO. Cheers,
Kyle.
Post #720143 29th Jul 2018 2:04am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
^^^ What Kyle said Thumbs Up

On an off road vehicle this idea could kill you.

I always routinely start anything with the clutch out, it may not be necessary but never does any harm and is safer (there are failure modes where a gearbox can appear to be in neutral when it isn't), but I've never needed technology to enforce it. I simply press the pedal.

On the other hand on at least 3 occasions in the last 40+ years I've had to continue my journey after a complete failure of the clutch release system and drive without a clutch, and this would not be possible if you cannot start in gear.
Post #720151 29th Jul 2018 8:52am
HK07

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
Hk07
I have a 64 plate Fiesta Van which requires the brake and clutch pedel pressed in order to start.

It's a complete pain in the whatsit, I hate it.

Every now and then it gets confused and I have to get out lock it, and start again.

All these cars are just to complicated now.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 2007 90 Puma - Love it - Best car I have ever owned.

1989 Ninety 200tdi - Love it - Second best car I have ever owned.

1951 80" Series 1 - Love it - Third best car I have ever owned.
Post #720392 30th Jul 2018 7:59am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
When off road I always turn the engine off in gear and re start in gear with no clutch operation. Clearly there will be the odd occasion when its best to use the clutch ie soft sand. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #720407 30th Jul 2018 9:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1