↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > International Driving Permits
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
leeds

United Kingdom 
International Driving Permits
Currently UK drivers with the correct driving licence do not need any extra paperwork to drive in Europe.

Now unless various people get their finger out UK drivers will need a IDP to drive in Europe as well as their driving licence. Apparently an extra 7,000,000 IDP will have to be issued by post offices in the UK.

Standard UK motor insurance normally covers short trips into Europe. Will it be a return to the green card system?

Will the UK MOT be accepted as a valid motor roadworhy annual check in Europe?

Will there be a need to introduce a carnet system for taking vehicles into Europe?

Brendan
Post #718495 19th Jul 2018 6:38am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I take it that those are rhetorical questions, as the answers haven't been worked out yet, like so many other things? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #718502 19th Jul 2018 7:14am
leeds

United Kingdom 
According to the National Audit Office here

Quote:

The NAO report looks at how the Department for Transport is preparing for the UK's departure from the EU in March 2019.

It said the department had made a "determined effort" to address the "significant and complex challenge" of Brexit - but "still has much to do" with an increasing risk that projects will not be delivered on time.

Currently, UK driving licences are valid in all EU countries, plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

But unless a specific agreement is reached, UK drivers will need "additional documentation" in Europe after Brexit, the report says.

The government's preparations for this scenario include ratifying a 1968 road traffic convention so International Driving Permits are recognised.

About 100,000 of these documents - which cost £5.50 and take about five minutes to apply for - are currently issued each year, and they are recommended or required in more than 140 countries worldwide.

This could increase to seven million permits being issued by 4,500 Post Offices in the first year of Brexit unless a deal is agreed, the NAO report says.

So point of IDP is extremely valid. Now I have in the past had to ask for my motor insurance to be extended to cover parts of Europe, had to buy extra insurance at borders, had to apply for a green card, had to have a carnet etc. So yes those points are an extension of the IDP question, are they valid or rhetorical questions?

Will everything be in place in 8 months time? Will the unaware UK driver on his annual trip skiing in the Alps etc be aware of extra documentation required when he gets pulled by the French police etc?

Brendan
Post #718526 19th Jul 2018 8:33am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I'm not saying that they're not valid questions. It's just that like everything else Brexit, it's still a work in progress and so there aren't any definitive answers yet. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #718527 19th Jul 2018 8:36am
leeds

United Kingdom 
That is the whole problem. How long will the work take? What happens if all the agreements are not in place?

Brendan
Post #718530 19th Jul 2018 8:46am
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
Easy, the economy collapses.

I'm not sure that number accounts for drivers who hire vehicles in Europe as I do most months.

There is reciprocal version as well with EU drivers needing IDP to drive here. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #718558 19th Jul 2018 12:34pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
You have a valid point Brendan.

Unfortunately we are in a position were we have to trust our politicians (trust and politician are not words that sit comfortably in any sentence written by me) to come up with a solution.

On a more positive note any decision regarding driving permits etc. should/will/may be applied equally to drivers (including truck drivers I suppose) coming to the U.K. from Europe.
Post #718569 19th Jul 2018 2:07pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
leeds wrote:
... What happens if all the agreements are not in place?
Brendan

I think the answer to that is easy - "wait and see".

I think there is a snowball's chance in hell of the "arrangements being in place" on time. I am sure however that the world won't end.

(Remember the run-up to the year 2000 and all the prediction of global disaster because of the "millennium bug"? Redneck Americans stockpiling food and guns for the final breakdown of society and all that? Perhaps we should start filling our wheelie bins with fuel, just in case).
Post #718583 19th Jul 2018 3:01pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Not sure how much electricity a wheelie bin can store BW Rolling with laughter
Post #718585 19th Jul 2018 3:16pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
blackwolf wrote:
leeds wrote:
Brendan

(Remember the run-up to the year 2000 and all the prediction of global disaster because of the "millennium bug"? Redneck Americans stockpiling food and guns for the final breakdown of society and all that? Perhaps we should start filling our wheelie bins with fuel, just in case).

Yes I do remember the more than three years of work and major computer and system changes I was aware of to make sure the "millennium bug" did not cause major disruption at the end of the century. I remember that Nuclear power stations were powered down and physically locked out on the night as they could not be sure all systems would behave as intended.
So being eight months out from a comparable change with little planning from the government beyond sending out a leaflet that it is our problem to deal with their mess does not give me any confidence at all that it will be all right. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #718590 19th Jul 2018 3:45pm
dorsetsmith

blackwolf wrote:
leeds wrote:
Brendan

I think the answer to that is easy - "wait and see".

I think there is a snowball's chance in hell of the "arrangements being in place" on time. I am sure however that the world won't end.

(Remember the run-up to the year 2000 and all the prediction of global disaster because of the "millennium bug

yes ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ IBM engineer are my controls on the generators year 2000 compliment my reply it old Lister black stone engine and Alt built 1961 time not reverent to it as long air start reserve are charge with air and your have gas oil in the fuel tank it will run
Post #718591 19th Jul 2018 3:45pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
ken wrote:
Not sure how much electricity a wheelie bin can store BW Rolling with laughter

If I remember correctly, the bloke who did this when the tanker drivers last went on strike found you could get about 40 gallons in a standard wheelie bin. I do remember he had his inside his house when he found that petrol dissolves the plastic of the bin, and that the fire service wasn't particularly complimentary about his intelligence when they attended to deal with it. I think it was somewhere in Birmingham.
Post #718608 19th Jul 2018 5:47pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
The answer is, it’ll all be fine. The need to keep trucks moving in and out will mean something will be in place to cover all those issues. It might not be as slick as desired to begin with, you might need to fill a few forms in or buy some extra insurance, but you can’t have Brexit without that as far as I can see. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #718613 19th Jul 2018 6:47pm
legin

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
I used to go on Holiday to Germany when I was 5 that was 55 years ago before the word Brexit was thought of ,when a "one Europe" was the catch words of the day,all though school we had day trips to Calais and Boulogne they still let us in and we spent our pocket money ,Why do people have to always look on the dark side ,do you really think the likes of BMW , Mercedes Audi and all those French car makers are going to stop selling us cars ,do they not want our pocket money ! It's going to be hard to sort out but at the end of the day it will be the same just back to front with a bit of paper work and that's if it ever changes,so please stop being so negative.what was wrong with the green card system ?
Post #718620 19th Jul 2018 7:18pm
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Guernsey has its own DVLA and driving licence, we have never been apart of the EU, we still do not have any form of MOT yet there is nothing stopping anyone jumping in their car and travelling Europe completely unrestricted.

Let’s not worry about what might happen, chances are nothing will change and if it does it won’t be a major issue to anyone Thumbs Up 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #718624 19th Jul 2018 8:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>