↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Duel battery dying
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Sphere

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Keswick Green
Duel battery dying
Put a blue sea duel battery set up in last year to power the fridge and worked perfectly for the couple of trips last year lasting around 48 hours at the one static camp we did.

This year however we can’t last the night without voltage dropping. Battery is kicking out 12.8 volts when I test and appears to recharge fine just doesn’t last. It’s a 65ah Valtra duel purpose battery and always liked them but it strikes me that the battery is fubar in less than 12 months?

Is there anything that can be causing it? I only have a couple of 12v sockets running off it for the fridge and light and can’t see any obvious issues of discharge via these so lost what else to check and with only a fortnight before I head off for a 2 week trip.
Post #716914 9th Jul 2018 6:42pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Sounds to me you may have a faulty battery, They don't seem to last the length of time like they used to. My Rover metro had 2 batteries on with in a space of 3 years. replaced under guarantee.
Also can you top this battery up? It could be it may need a top of juice, with the way the weathers been. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #716931 9th Jul 2018 7:55pm
Sphere

My thoughts.

Taken the battery out and connected up to the fridge to see how ling it will last to try and eliminate any other discharge.
Post #716933 9th Jul 2018 7:58pm
Sphere

Well the fridge is still going strong on the battery in the kitchen so looks like the battery is good and it’s a parasitic drain somewhere but where is anyone’s guess Crying or Very sad

Will check the sockets again as most likely Rolling Eyes but where after that
Post #717074 10th Jul 2018 7:47pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Sounds to me you have a leak on one of those two systems, if the fridge was holding its own. ID even check how your charging system too what charges it, just to make sure that's not causing a bother. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #717121 11th Jul 2018 5:11am
fnqman

Australia 
This could be a complete red herring, but I had a similar(ish) problem a while back. The charge manager I was using was a solid state variety, it would (as many do) leak current back from the auxiliary battery to the main one if the main was at a lower voltage than the aux. Everything seemed to charge OK, and like you the battery seemed alright in isolation. My main battery however was on its last legs, I didn't discover this until a couple of times I'd left the vehicle for a week or so without the auxiliary battery, and it wouldn't start on the main one. Might be a slim possibility you have something similar.
Post #717172 11th Jul 2018 3:05pm
Sphere

Loosing hope on this one and think I have to revert to a expert as only two weeks until I go away and how things are currently I have a expensive cool box Big Cry

All cables checked and no leaks (no draw when nothing is connected) as far as I can tell and battery charging ok so can only be a leak back (which I am not sure how to test) however both battery’s appear in good health.
Post #718980 21st Jul 2018 7:58pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
DC clamp meter.

Clamp every cable when the system is running and figure out where the current is going!
Post #719012 21st Jul 2018 10:48pm
Sphere

Think I have found the issue with a little pointer from dara at tuff trek. It appears that I am losing voltage along the wire and the ridge is thinking the battery is low and cutting out. Not sure why as it worked last year so don’t think it’s poor cable. Current testing with a new cable run through the vehicle so hopefully all works.
Post #719508 24th Jul 2018 8:03pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
Do you power the fridge via the cigaret lighter plug (my Waeco compressor fridge came with this type of plug)?
I had similar problems, fridge would not last a night on the aux battery (yellow top). I found out the plug to socket connection was not very stable and at random failed. I replaced the socket and plug with Anderson connectors - no problems ever since... Thumbs Up Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #719515 24th Jul 2018 8:23pm
Sphere

Yes it does however I have reused the plug for the new connection that’s running fine so appears to be working fine but do like the idea of a Anderson have a spare one in the shed that may do the job.
Post #719519 24th Jul 2018 8:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1