↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Anyone know what this is?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
if that drive flange from the original post is knackered the car will still drive in diff lock and you will be fine in effectively 2 wheel drive DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #713089 18th Jun 2018 8:27pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
I asked the delearship to send a photo of the part. This is what I got in return.

Click image to enlarge

Blackwolf, thanks for thoughts on the 'uprated' LR parts, I'll go with Ashcroft. Also, I'll stick a new clutch in as well.

For those who asked, I arrived in Palma after a 700km faultless trip. Disembarked, picked up Mrs Grenadier from the airport and heard a loud clunk and lots of slack on engagement. Pulled away and noticed the same on every change of gear at low revs/low gear (junctions/roundabouts etc). Thought I'd head straight to the dealer, we discussed. I said I would see how it went as they could not look at it right away, and on parting made it 50m before complete loss of drive. Grinding when trying to find gears meant I was towed back in. We were not 100% positive, but all thought it might be the 'obvious'. Sure enough it seems to be the case. Ho hum.

As such, some slightly different photos from my Palma road trip:

Ferry over, bad photo, that's a 30° slope!!

Click image to enlarge

On arrival, breakfast in Palma:

Click image to enlarge

Popped to LR dealer, in good company:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Left the dealer (hoping all would be OK) towed back in: Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

The new wheels for the week's road-trip. Shocked

Click image to enlarge
 Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #713162 19th Jun 2018 1:07pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Quote:
Popped to LR dealer, in good company:

Yes, you don't see many pre 2001 Freelander 1's these days. Laughing

On the plus side those Berlingos (or Partners) aren't bad cars. Surprisingly spacious inside. Probably good for at least 60mpg on a run too.
Post #713210 19th Jun 2018 4:18pm
Grenadier

Partner. Had to get one as we had two bikes, plus all associated kit. Mrs Grenadier wasn't enamoured by the trip in the first place, less so when forced to rent an albeit well-specced and as you mention frugal little van. She just about got her head around us arriving at our various hotels (four stops in all) in the DC as it had been cleaned, repaired and upgraded inside and out. But the Partner (covered and dust and bird-poo because of the weather) wasn't her preferred mode of transport!! She has standards Mrs Grenadier, standards. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #713215 19th Jun 2018 4:25pm
Grenadier

Well it seems they will only fit the OE part, so no Aschroft kit upgrade. Bu**er. Can anyone suggest some top tips that I can impress upon them to make sure the job is done properly?

Also, the same goes for the clutch. It hasn't actually failed, or even feels close to failing, so I'm unsure as to the best course of action. So, do I

a: Take advantage of a removed transmission to pop in a new OE part 'just to be sure' and save the cash on labour, (remembering I do want to eventually remap to 170bhp)
b: see if they will upgrade to a 130 clutch
c: do nothing and wait until the clutch does start to go and pop in a HD version, plus the Ashcroft kit, and take this little episode as an expensive 'learning' experience?

Thoughts please, want to sign off on this tomorrow. Ta Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #713222 19th Jun 2018 4:46pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It isn't totally clear to me from the symptoms you describe whether it is the adaptor shaft coupling (which is the ringed item in the picture) that has failed or whether the clutch has failed (springs falling out or similar). Your DC as a 2011 vehicle is from the peak shaft failure period, but also if it's on the original clutch it must be on its last legs.

If it was me I'd get both parts changed for standard genuine parts. I would insist on generous lubrication of the shaft coupling either with the LR-supplied goo or moly CV joint grease and would ask for evidence that it's been lubed. The standard current clutch should be ok for a fairly reasonable mileage and should cope with a remap (mine does anyway) and I believe that the LR " HD" spec clutch kit is (even more) ridiculously expensive than the standard one.
Post #713230 19th Jun 2018 5:22pm
zsd-puma

The standard clutch kit is around £250 from Land Rover, the HD one (for the 150bhp Autobiography) is something like £1300! Shocked
I believe the 90, 110 and 130 all use the same clutch. The only one that was different was the runout limited edition Autobiography with the 150bhp remap.

The standard clutch isn't really too offensive in terms of cost, quite reasonable really compared to 'genuine' clutch kits from other marques.
Post #713236 19th Jun 2018 5:30pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Sorry to hear about your problems Grenadier.
On the upside all the work to the drive chain means that the planned power upgrades will be much less likely to break things Confused
Currently in rural France about to head into Germany with buttocks more firmly clenched than usual Laughing
Post #713287 19th Jun 2018 8:05pm
Grenadier

Thank you all for the advice, I think I'll follow the general consensus of both clutch and shaft change with OE parts and buckets of lube.

Shropshire Def, it was a dream road trip and all went well through France and then "kapow" all over. Genuinely gutted as it was first proper road trip in the DC after all the comfort upgrades (sound insulation, speakers, deep clean etc etc). At least it will be fully prepped for this year's Alpe d'Huez stage of the Tour de France Thumbs Up I hope yours is trouble free Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #713389 20th Jun 2018 8:13am
Grenadier

zsd-puma wrote:
The standard clutch kit is around £250 from Land Rover, the HD one (for the 150bhp Autobiography) is something like £1300!

WTF?????? Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #713390 20th Jun 2018 8:14am
zsd-puma

Presumably the price is just to protect the stock for AB owners, who after spending as much as they did on the car in the first place probably wouldn't mind spending that much on a clutch.

On the other hand they might have got a supplier to make a very limited run of 'special' clutches, and their supplier has charged them an arm and a leg for the limited run.

Crazy thing is if they'd charged say £500 (double the price of a standard clutch), lots of people would have bought them as an 'upgrade' for the standard one!
Post #713413 20th Jun 2018 9:35am
derbywill

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
V8GPC wrote:
for £4.92 looks like it may be made out of diarylea https://www.dairylea.co.uk/

OE ones are only £12.29!
http://www.paddockspares.com/ruc105200g-dr...turer.html 2005 90 XS
1954 86'' Series 1 tilt
Post #713429 20th Jun 2018 11:39am
Grenadier

zsd-puma wrote:
Presumably the price is just to protect the stock for AB owners, who after spending as much as they did on the car in the first place probably wouldn't mind spending that much on a clutch.

Just spoke with a friend of mine ten minutes ago who has a Defender 75th anniversary on order and a colleague of his (the Def owner) has offered him £220k as he missed out on the option to buy one!! Shocked Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #713441 20th Jun 2018 1:05pm
Grenadier

OK, I have just got the new quote back. Just want to clarify some figures with you more knowledgable sorts.

They have included changing the flywheel at 515€+VAT. They have yet to open the box as far as I know, so I cannot understand why they have come to the conclusion this will need changing as well? Anyone know if there is any LR advisory or mechanical reason to replace the flywheel at the same time as a clutch on a 2.4 PUMA with 60k on the clock?

Further, on labour.

I have the following estimates:

Remove transfer box: 2.5hrs
Replace shaft and coupling: 2.5hrs
Replace clutch (accepting transfer box is already out): 3hrs.

Total 8hrs or a full day.

Does this sound right? I assume the 3hrs includes the aforementioned flywheel? Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #713673 21st Jun 2018 2:16pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I've just had the output shaft changed, along with an oil change, brake 'clean' and rattle in the door all sorted in 4.5 hours.

LRO seem to think the output shaft can be changed in 3 hours, see here https://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/f...?769007971

Output shaft alone means just dropping the transfer box, so not a big job.

Changing the clutch means dropping the transfer and gearbox, so a bigger job.

I'd be tempted to do the minimum of work to get going at the main dealer (i.e. just output shaft) and then fit a Clutchfix clutch at your local indie when home or the clutch actually goes? James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #713692 21st Jun 2018 3:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>