↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Defender carrying weight
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
OleDave

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Indus Silver
Defender carrying weight
Hi Guys just a quickie as I am sure one of you will know the answer, I have the 90 Puma what weight can I safely carry in the rear without wrecking the springs or suspension? I have an old milling machine which I have dismantled into bits as the Boss wants rid of it!! have dumped all the removable parts but the main upright is the worry, sadly I do not know how heavy it is but I would guess 500- 600 kilos

Regards

Ole Dave
Post #711559 9th Jun 2018 8:38am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The gross payload of a 90 is around 600kg. It varies a bit depending on spec. That obviously includes the driver though, plus odds and sods like the jack, so 500kg is probably more realistic.

Sounds like you need to borrow a trailer. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #711562 9th Jun 2018 8:48am
OleDave

Hi LRA and thank you for your very swift reply, Hmmmmm it worries me as I just do not know how heavy the milling machine pillar is? I just do not want to overload the Landy for the sake of getting a scrappy to collect it, collection by them however costs many bob's!!

If I knew somebody that had a trailer that would be ideal but sadly I do not Sad

Regards and many thanks

Ole Dave
Post #711566 9th Jun 2018 8:58am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Quote:
what weight can I safely carry in the rear without wrecking the springs or suspension?

Probably a ton, but it won't be anything like legal.

If you're only going a few miles and at relatively low speed then you can have it sat on its bump stops without breaking anything, it won't be legal, but that's not really what you asked.
Post #711577 9th Jun 2018 10:49am
OleDave

Hi ZSD PUMA, thanks for the reply, well I would have to take it along the M4 about 15 miles before I get to the scrappy so it would be very risky due to the Plods on patrol, plus I do not want to end up overloading the Landy and wreck the suspension.

Have decided not to risk it but go and have a chat with the scrappy people to see if they can collect, it will cost £70+ bob's but new coil spring/springs fitted would cost more so its not worth the risk!!

Ole Dave
Post #711582 9th Jun 2018 11:46am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
i think under the circumstances you're going to have to smash open your piggy bank. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #711583 9th Jun 2018 12:01pm
OleDave

Hi discomog......I think your on the button with that Rolling with laughter

Ole Dave
Post #711588 9th Jun 2018 12:24pm
JAY BOY

Wales 
Leave it outside in the yard and it will be gone by the morning Laughing
Post #711607 9th Jun 2018 4:13pm
OleDave

Hi Jay Boy, well it would take some Gipsies on steroids to shift this lot lol.

Ole Dave
Post #711630 9th Jun 2018 6:24pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
OleDave wrote:
Hi ZSD PUMA, thanks for the reply, well I would have to take it along the M4 about 15 miles before I get to the scrappy so it would be very risky due to the Plods on patrol, plus I do not want to end up overloading the Landy and wreck the suspension.

Have decided not to risk it but go and have a chat with the scrappy people to see if they can collect, it will cost £70+ bob's but new coil spring/springs fitted would cost more so its not worth the risk!!

Ole Dave

You won't wreck the suspension, but as I said it won't be legal. And at motorway speeds it won't stop very well.

How were you planning to lift it into the back of a station wagon anyway? The door would get in the way of the forklift surely. If you were just going to get a few mates to lift it, I'd say it wasn't as heavy as you thought.

I'm assuming this is a big lump of cast metal, have you tried hitting it with a sledge hammer? There's a good chance it'll just break up.
Post #711652 9th Jun 2018 10:22pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Oh man up you’ll be fine or do two runs Laughing
Post #711659 9th Jun 2018 10:50pm
OleDave

Hi ZSD and NickMc thank you both for your replies, I have stripped most of the equipment off such as table, slide, head and quill, just the head and a few other pieces weighed in at 220 kilos, the rear guard and bed totalled 160 kilos, what is left is the base and pillar, the pillar can be unbolted from the base, but its impossible to determine what weight those two items are seperated as they are cast iron, the machine was made when the UK was flat out making Spitfires for the war effort

I rescued the machine 30 years ago as it was rusting away in a yard and refurbed it for use in my home workshop, at that time I had access to a hydralic lift on a lorry to get it here, now retired its down to old mates to help with the combined strengths of a 5 year old!

Hitting it with a sledge sadly would do nowt, it would take a dose of high explosives to crack this baby apart lol

I am maybe being over cautious but I do not want to do any damage to the apple of my eye (Landy, not the wife! ) taking whats left to the scrappy

Regards

Ole Dave
Post #711677 10th Jun 2018 7:26am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
What make and kind of milling machine was it?
Post #711681 10th Jun 2018 7:46am
OleDave

Hi Blackwolf have not seen you for a while?

The machine is (was) manufactured by Pallas ( Model V1) in the ealry 40's, it was a vertical milling machine, made from cast iron mostly and really sturdy, the only draw back was the spindle speeds were not high enough and maxed out at 750 rpm, these days with tungsten carbide tipped cutters you need spindle speeds twice that and higher, I bought it for home hobby work and also to manufacture Church door keys, also do a bit of gunsmithing for myself, friends and members of a local rifle and pistol shooting club which I was a member of also.

Sadly there comes a time when you have to move on, I am now 72 and cannot expect family should anything happen to me go to the trauma and cost of getting shot of it.

Regards

Ole Dave
Post #711684 10th Jun 2018 8:23am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
A scrappy that charges to remove metal then sells it on? crikey I'm in the wrong trade.
Post #711688 10th Jun 2018 8:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>