↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Hole appeared in rear quarter panel!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
lonewolf

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zambezi Silver
Hole appeared in rear quarter panel!
After washing the 90 (2010) I noticed what looked like a paint bubble on the passenger side rear quarter panel at the bottom above the cill just ahead of the rear wheel. There is a bolt located underneath which holds the panel support bracket.
Of course I poked at the bubble and now it’s a small hole! As this panel is aluminium has anyone had a similar experience and how did you go about remedying it?
I also had a feel on the reverse side of the panel to find a lot of hard packed mud. This was the same regarding the quarter panel on the drivers side. Although the vehicle has been waxoyled twice the mud which had collected has obviously led to a corrosion trap.
I don’t suppose the corrosion warranty covers a 7.5 year old vehicle?
Post #711442 8th Jun 2018 5:04pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
If you look in my build three I did a few pics when I replaced mine. Corrosion warranty is 6 year I’m afraid. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #711444 8th Jun 2018 5:22pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Birmabright Ally is more corrosion resistant than steel, but it does dissolve once salt gets to it.
Post #711521 8th Jun 2018 10:36pm
lonewolf

Hmmm......thinking about it, I guess that where the body panel stay bolts to the panel creates a nice little niche for muck to settle into, and thus get impregnated with road salt. I’m quite fastidious about cleaning the underside but this area must be getting missed. The hole isn’t too big (big enough though) about 4mm so can probably be filled.
Post #711546 9th Jun 2018 8:36am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
You've also got the potential for bi-metallic corrosion where the steel stay (and bolt) meet the aluminium body, so some sort of isolation would be a good move. I'm a big fan of making rubber gaskets for these sorts of locations.

Unfortunately, Birmabright hasn't been used for Land Rovers since around the late '70's, which is a shame as it was generally a lot more corrosion resistant than what's been used since. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #711558 9th Jun 2018 9:33am
lonewolf

Thank you for all of your replies.
I will be isolating the bracket to bodypanel joint in due course (although the horse has bolted now I think).
I will endeavour to carry out a hole repair and was thinking of some sort of 2 pack filler to do the job.
There seems to be a few out there so can anyone recommend a suitable filler from experience?
I notice that some fillers actually have aluminium as part of their make up.
As the hole is only small (still doing my head in though) I was thinking of using a backing mesh for the filler to stick to?
Any ideas appreciated.
Cheers.
Post #711585 9th Jun 2018 1:02pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I'd drill the hole out big enough that you lose all of the corrosion to the edge and then stick a piece of ali to the rear of the panel using something like Sikaflex. The hole can then be filled with appropriate filler and made good. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #711590 9th Jun 2018 1:35pm
lonewolf

Thumbs Up That’s what I was thinking of, drill out put something on the back (aluminium mesh?) fill hole, sand off and repaint.......stand back and say to myself ‘well Bonny lad you’ve made a right ar*e of that’ Laughing
Post #711598 9th Jun 2018 3:13pm
mk1collector

As your gong to have to paint it anyway as they only cost about £20/30 and a few rivets why not just put a new one on? Ray
My build thread
Post #711621 9th Jun 2018 6:26pm
lonewolf

I didn’t realise that the quarter panels would be as cheap as that? Food for thought for the future though Ray.
I’ve ground the hole out with my Dremel and it’s about 6mm dia. Put a bit of grey primer on the bare metal and for now popped a neat little black Allen head button screw in with washers and a nut on the back. To the untrained eye it looks like it was meant to be there. I showed swmbo who said ‘where’s the hole gone to?’ .......she didn’t realise that the bolt was the temporary fix bless her. Smile
I’m still going to have a look from the back side to see what’s going on, remove the body brackets etc, and the drivers side too because I bet the same thing will happen there.
Post #711628 9th Jun 2018 7:15pm
mk1collector

It’s quite common to get corrosion ther unfortunately, as said above with the dissimilar metals and the amount of salt we get on the roads thrown up there they just rot away Rolling Eyes I think gwyn Lewis do some shields to keep it protected from most of the rubbish thrown at it if you want to stop more rot developing. Ray
My build thread
Post #711631 9th Jun 2018 7:26pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Make sure when you put the steel support back on the U-shape on the end of it doesn’t touch the outer skin of the panel, I find when you get the corrosion there and a hole - a lot of the time it’s from that supports edge rubbing on the wing skin and dirt build up. The bracket gets loose with vibration and corrosion around the bolt is my thought.

You can fix it by getting a bit of aluminium, cutting a strip to size, drilling a few extra holes in it for the adhesive “to leak” through and make a stronger bond. I use a spot welder and a fine skim of quality evercoat filler. You could use countersunk pop rivets for a tidy finish - make sure they’re aluminium ones. Make sure you panel wipe the area first before using the adhesive and filler or it will fail eventually Thumbs Up
Post #711657 9th Jun 2018 11:44pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Also replace the wing support stays with YRM's aluminium version, which reduces the dissimilar metal problem at this location:

https://yrmit.co.uk/product/rear-wing-stay...fender-90/ 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #711883 11th Jun 2018 1:23pm
lonewolf

Those aluminium stays are a good idea. I’ll check them out prior to doing the job (both sides) just hope that there’s no hidden surprises when I do them.
Thank you for the info. Thumbs Up
Post #712010 12th Jun 2018 9:56am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Post #712013 12th Jun 2018 10:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>