↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Aircon stopped working
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Greyman110

United Kingdom 
When I changed the radiator on my 2.4 I had to take the AC fan off and most of the gas came out of the system.

If you have topped up and are still losing AC then thats an issue, otherwise if everything is back to normal after a top up then I would guess someone just emptied the system and didnt tell you.

If you've developed a leak since the rad was fitted, check the O-rings inside the metal fan connectors as that will be the only part of the AC system that was touched - be warned if you pull them apart the gas will shoot out!
Post #923843 1st Oct 2021 8:48am
TriniDaddy

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Arles Blue
You're so spot on! I left the radio bit out on purpose.

So funny enough, while trouble shooting, managed to get the radio on while the car was running saying (1 hour on) on the screen. Don't remember checking the cig outlet. The charger I have in there is Censored anyways.

So was the solution repair or replace? If I'm not mistaken, my switch was replaced in January. Will have to check the mech on that. 110 SW 2.4
IZUMI BLUE
Post #923906 1st Oct 2021 3:09pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
In the engine bay there are two valves for regassing the system, one has a blue plastic cap and if I remember correctly the other has a green plastic cap. Take one of the caps off and you will see they are like big tyre valves. Give the stem a quick jab with a screwdriver and listen whether any gas comes out. If you hear gas escaping with gusto then you have good pressure and no leaks, if it's flat as a pancake then you have a leak and the gas has already escaped.

Not particularly environmentally friendly but you will only release a tiny amount into the atmosphere which is negligible compared with the volume that leaks off leaky vehicle AC systems and recycled fridges/freezers every day > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #923914 1st Oct 2021 3:43pm
glpinxit

United Kingdom 
Not sure if the Defender a/c system has a pressure sensor that determines whether the a/c will respond to being turned on. However, in a different car when I had a suspected leak the garage topped it up and checked if it was holding pressure. It was (for 5 minutes, at least) but to check if there was a small leak they put fluorescent dye in with the refrigerant. After a couple of days I went round the system with a UV light (normally only used by us at Halloween) and found signs of a leak/hole in the a/c radiator. This enabled most of the gas to be removed before it all leaked out, and before the system was repaired. Cheers, Guy.
Post #923994 2nd Oct 2021 6:24am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It does yes. The compressor will not run without pressure being sensed. > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #924011 2nd Oct 2021 9:02am
TriniDaddy

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Arles Blue
HardCharger wrote:
Is your radio still working when the truck is running? How about the lighter socket?

I've encountered this before where with the truck running, you can turn on the AC button and it will engage but no blower where normally, it'll run in blower position one whether you use the blower switch or not. No radio, and no power to the lighter socket. Like you, when I turned the key to position II but do not crank, all works as it should.

Ignition switch is your culprit.

Thanks for responding guys but this is my current scenario. Nothing is wrong with the AC per say. It's purely electrical/tronic.

Just waiting to see how best it could be tackled. 110 SW 2.4
IZUMI BLUE
Post #924059 2nd Oct 2021 2:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12