↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Lake District
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Lake District
nothing like leaving it till the last minute.

just wondering if anyone knows of any options available to us. we've got a caravan but if it's only a night or two then would rather B&B. our oldest would like to go up Scafell Pike during but as you can imagine pretty much everything we've found near by is booked up?

found what looks like a nice B&B but it's almost 2 hrs away - any thoughts or suggestions for next week. two nights would be ideal especially if it's not mega money. Thumbs Up
Post #708823 23rd May 2018 8:32pm
Sunshine

We went a couple of weeks ago stopped at hawks head hall camp site nice little site
village 10 min walk away from site with pubs and shops Thumbs Up
Post #708830 23rd May 2018 8:49pm
Caterham

brill thank you. some thing to add to the list.

I wonder if anyone knows of a 'practical' track ie one that'll get us closer to Scafell Pike, provide somewhere to park up and include the joys of some gentle green laning and effectively reduce the distance we need to travel on the roads while approaching from the South East?

Thumbs Up
Post #708833 23rd May 2018 9:26pm
Siwynne

England 
I’m currently on a course with two mountain leaders who take kids up scarfell every week I’ll ask them in the morning and post their response.
Post #708856 23rd May 2018 11:29pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
If you fancy being just outside the National Park, in a quiet village with great facilities... how about my Village?

Best Beer pub: https://www.facebook.com/WoodiesSilverdale/
Campsite: https://www.holgates.co.uk/silverdale/facilities (they also rent static caravans)

30-40 mins from Ambleside, a bit more for Grasmere...
Easy drive along the A590 to Wasdale (Scafell access)

Campsite is well equipped with sauna, pool, gym etc
Village has 3 good pubs, an excellent indian restaurant (and take-away)

Easy access off M6

Lakes will me mad busy this weekend, Silverdale's nice and quiet, whilst still accessible...

I'm lucky to live somewhere so good Smile

I can advise a couple of other accommodation options if you are interested... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #708910 24th May 2018 12:37pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
Does it have to be Scafell Pike it is not the nicest of walks and will be grimly busy at Bank Holiday. If you are doing Scafell Pike from the South East it is a long day as you need to go via Bow Fell or Great End.

If you are in South East Lakes Coniston Old Man or Weatherlam are nicer options. Grizedale and Little Langdale have some green laning options but you would need to check if the routes are open as there was some repair work going on. The Lake District is not well supplied with public routes for 4x4's. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #708911 24th May 2018 12:44pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
If you are an experienced caravaner and you know exactly where you are going then the Lake District is no problem, however, if you are not used to travelling along winding narrow country lanes with your caravan, some very narrow indeed with few passing places then you may need to think again about caravanning in Cumbria. Caravan Club sites are in general easily accessible but other smaller sites are not.

I recall a few years ago I took the caravan to a site where the entrance was on a tight bend and so narrow that I could not get a good enough lock on the wheels to drive into it, in the end, I had to unhitch the caravan and manoeuvre it backwards and forwards by hand so that I could enter the site and with traffic bunching up on both sides it was a nightmare. So if you do decide on a site then check with google street view and maps to make sure the access and roads are easy to navigate as often owners of sites do not tell you how easy they are to get to. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #708939 24th May 2018 4:12pm
MartinK

Ramsay wrote:
Does it have to be Scafell Pike it is not the nicest of walks and will be grimly busy at Bank Holiday. .

True - the tourist route will be a bit grim! At this time of year you can do it almost anytime of day, as it's barely going dark (i.e. may be worth doing it at an odd time, rather than setting-off 0800-1100 like most peeps will). Weekends have a lot of 3-Peaks traffic at this time of year, trying to do Ben Nevis, Scafell and Snowdon in 24 hours...I know I have been a mountain guide on a few of these 3-Peaks trips Smile

Plenty of lovely quieter peaks to find... Some of the quieter "Wainwrights" can be spectacular... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #708943 24th May 2018 4:47pm
Caterham

thank you very much.

Investigating some of the ideas above. will let you know how I get on. Thumbs Up
Post #708944 24th May 2018 4:49pm
Siwynne

England 
Apologies for a slow response.
Both the guys I spoke to laughed and said it’s bank holiday we are going to Scotland away from the hoards in the lakes.
Post #708971 24th May 2018 7:24pm
Caterham

Laughing

I get it but we're limited to when we can get up there. Anyhow we've decided to keep things really brief and have now booked just one night at a B&B real close to where we plan to start our walk. Thumbs Up

Silverdale campsite is one we're going to keep in mind for a long visit in the hopefully not too distant future. Thumbs Up
Post #708973 24th May 2018 7:39pm
MartinK

Quote:
Silverdale campsite is one we're going to keep in mind for a long visit in the hopefully not too distant future. Thumbs Up

Caterham... I stayed on the campsite 2 years ago, and loved the area so much I bought a house in the village... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #709071 25th May 2018 8:40am
Caterham

Mr. Green that's the way to do things. Thumbs Up

can anyone advise how long it might take to walk from stool end farm to Scafell Pike (and back).

Also don't suppose there's any 'cheating' to be had ie can we drive a mile or so up any tracks to save a bit of time Very Happy

many thanks.
Post #709306 26th May 2018 3:34pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
https://www.scafellpike.org.uk/climb/scafell-pike-routes/

Try the above. That route is at least 12 miles so allow at least 8 hours depending on your fitness levels.

I strongly recommend that you do not drive on tracks without vehicular rights. It tends to get taken very seriously in the Lake District. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #709348 26th May 2018 8:03pm
Caterham

well we stopped at Langdale and walked from there up to Scafell Pike. A good old walk for the family especially since I and the wife have done next to nothing by way of exercise for too long. Plus it was well warm on Tuesday up there.

remarkably they're short of water up there too Thumbs Up
Post #710215 31st May 2018 8:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1