↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > JE Engineering
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Shropshire Lad

England 
JE Engineering
Anyone had any experience with these guys? I'm thinking of having a Stage 1 done on the Puma (up to 165bhp I believe). I'd be interested to see if anyone has had this done and what their thoughts are.
Cheers
SL LR 90 XS GONE! Hurrah!
Post #4560 8th Nov 2008 12:33pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
JE have had a very good reputation for a long time, especially in the Range Rover fraternity.
Post #4563 8th Nov 2008 1:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Don't forget our forum sponsor Smile
Post #4566 8th Nov 2008 2:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
JE are a top tuning company Thumbs Up I have had several LR products tuned by them. However I have had my puma re mapped by Pete at Bell Autos. Not wanting to start an ours is better than theirs argument. But Pete's understanding of the Puma and its workings is quite amassing, not saying that JE's isn't. Best thing would be to contact both and make your own mind up Thumbs Up
Post #4572 8th Nov 2008 7:31pm
chay

Wales 
With six month old 2.4tdci, I would be most interested to her of any experiences, any of the stage 1 or stage 2 with a larger intercooler as JE advertise.

I have only heard of the positive experiences of some both of Bell and td5 Alive customers.

Any feedback is most welcome, also as to Land Rovers attitude to warranty.

Regards

Chay
Post #4583 9th Nov 2008 6:28pm
Bogblaster

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Adventure Corris Grey
I have a D3 that has the JE Engineering tune on it, and like AndrewS I think they are an excellent company to deal with, their forte is V8 petrols, but do do diesels!

My Puma on the other hand has an Allisport intercooler, ITG air filter (same as JE do with their Stage 2 tune) and a BAS remap.

I have spoken to Pete at BAS reference the 185 bhp tune that JE are advertising as the BAS remap I believe is about 165, and as I have the bigger intercooler and ITG air filter I want Pete to find me the other 20 horses!

He is looking into it as we speak - aren't you Pete Mr. Green Whistle Shocked Very Happy 2019 MY Disco 5 HSE Lux
Audi A4 Avant 3.0L TDI Quattro - WOW
2016 90 Adventure
Post #4584 9th Nov 2008 6:46pm
Shropshire Lad

England 
Thanks guys. My dealer was fine with the stage 1 in respect of the warranty and said just let the workshop guys know when booking it in. However, they said with the changes involved on the Stage 2 they wouldn't be able to honour the warranty as the changes were more extensive. Hope this helps.

What's the real world driving experience like with the stage 1 guys? Is it noticeable and worth the expense? I am pleased with the way my standard engine drives but always like the idea of a few extra horses...! Very Happy

SL LR 90 XS GONE! Hurrah!
Post #4585 9th Nov 2008 7:11pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Shropshire Lad wrote:
Thanks guys. My dealer was fine with the stage 1 in respect of the warranty and said just let the workshop guys know when booking it in. However, they said with the changes involved on the Stage 2 they wouldn't be able to honour the warranty as the changes were more extensive. Hope this helps.

SL

If your dealer is happy - thats great, but just to let you know, Land Rover have now a blanket "any remap invalidates warranty" clause

We had a discussion on this on here some time ago - me i have a lot of time for Pete and am likely in the future to purchase a remap - ive also had dealings with JE and they are good.

but warranty is worth it more. Mike
Post #4586 9th Nov 2008 8:24pm
Japseroony

England 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
chay wrote:
With six month old 2.4tdci, I would be most interested to her of any experiences, any of the stage 1 or stage 2 with a larger intercooler as JE advertise.

I have only heard of the positive experiences of some both of Bell and td5 Alive customers.

Any feedback is most welcome, also as to Land Rovers attitude to warranty.

Regards

Chay

Last edited by Japseroony on 27th Apr 2009 11:22am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #4587 9th Nov 2008 8:59pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Well I had the allysport intercooler on my vehicle and it split so I put the original one back on. Its made no difference Shocked I also raced a twisted performance tuned 110 across the desert with the bigger intercooler on. My 110 accelerated faster than the twisted 110. I must say that the twisted caught me up eventually but then I had Censored loads on my roof rack compared to his.

I think that the Puma does not need a bigger intercooler. Oh and I was running a standard air filter compared to the twisted 110 that has an itg fitted.
Post #4623 11th Nov 2008 6:02pm
chay

Wales 
It does appear that whilst some people have had a stage 1 on a Puma, and been pleased with the result, I have yet to hear from anyone that has had a stage 2 done, and from everything that I have seen on various adverts and forums on the web, only JE advertise a stage 2 and 180bhp!

However, top end rush is not really usefull.........

Any further experiences?

Regards

Chay
Post #4643 11th Nov 2008 10:59pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I think personally a stage 1 on a standard car with may be some simple mods to the exhaust will please most people while maintaining reliability and hopefully economy.

I have measured temps of the Puma and baring a slight flow gain (which can in some cases cause problems) a bigger intercooler is not needed for this stage of tune as the inlet temps are low enough as standard.

There is also the fact of warranty on these new cars, the more mods you do to the car the harder it is to hide the fact of tuning.

Do you want your 17K ish car to loose its warranty for something that will not give much power back in return???
You could argue the fact that you can return it to standard before you visit the dealer which i agree with, but can you return it to standard at the road side while waiting for Lr assist to come and recover you after its gone pair shaped!!

These engines im sorry to say are made of toffee so are there manifolds and turbo etc,
Andrews and some others can vouch for this im sure with the problems they have had even on a standard car.
Andrews started a thread about his manifold problems and has now informed me that LR have actualy made a manifold upgrade.

The reality is, yes 180 odd is possible and i have had it on my black test car and i have the dyno sheets to prove it BUT it’s not safe for the uk climate.
Not on a car that is under warranty anyway, it would be asking for trouble.

Regards Pete

Last edited by bell-auto-services on 14th Nov 2008 5:29pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #4657 12th Nov 2008 8:53pm
chay

Wales 
Well, that does really seem to settle matters. Although I have telephoned JE Engineering numerous times over the past six months, and whilst they do seem very nice people to speak to, sadly, there never seems to be anyone who knows anything about the Puma upgrade, the chap that does is apparently always out or unavailable.

If anyone can assist further, I would be delighted to hear thier views, but in the absence of any further information, I think I shall go to Bell.

Regards

Chay
Post #4688 14th Nov 2008 4:55pm
Japseroony

England 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
aaa

Last edited by Japseroony on 27th Apr 2009 11:23am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #4692 14th Nov 2008 6:09pm
sib

I had the stage 1 done to my puma 130 last week.. trust me it makes a huge difference. I can`t see any point in going for stage 2 as the gearing is so low one would be changing too often, unless an auto was fitted. Even on my heavy 130, grunt and push in the back is really noticable now around 2000 rpm.

Towing an empty twin axle Ifor williams trailer feels about what the 130 was like without the trailer on before the stage 1 was fitted.

This has made more difference than the stage two on my old 110 TD5.

Also I`ve had no more engine loud hiccup type noises since, as if everything is running better. They know what they are doing there. Only problem was falling in love with a very early range rover that they were totally rebuilding at the time, they could even put a TDV6 into one if required, now that would be nice...

sib

Bath Sib
Bath UK
1952 80 inch
1973 88 inch
2018 Morgan plus 4 narrow body
Post #4697 14th Nov 2008 7:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>